Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Docklands 8km - Tues 18/05

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

As regards the texts, in every case I have looked into the runner failed to provide their mobile when they registered with AE so what can I do without the data?

Just a quick one but the people that I know who didn't get texts had already got texts a day or two before the race reminding them to bring chips and numbers to the race so obviously it wasn't a lack of their telephone numbers on the system which caused problems.

Ro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I can second that; received a reminder text but no results text. Not that I mind, I'm well capable of looking through a spreadsheet, but just to say that it didn't work for everyone.

Just signed up for the 10k run in Park West in July. See you all there, most likely as you run past me...

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭rdunne

We have been over this time and time again.
    Chip time is for the runner only and should never be used for official time.

They should of had stewards writing the times and position down as runner finished. It’s simply lazy to use chip time as the official time.

Let say a runner takes 5 mins to get to the start line. His chip time (if they had mats would be 0:00 but his race time is already 5:00.)

If a runner started on the start line and runs 3 mins slower should in fact be listed 2 mins ahead of the first runner.

Nothing is wrong with the chip system,, it is just being used as official timing that is wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Just signed up for the 10k run in Park West in July. See you all there, most likely as you run past me...

Hey monkeypants, have you looked at the BHAA races? There is a 10k this weekend. Great races and much cheaper than the one you entered.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

rdunne wrote: »
    We have been over this time and time again.
    Chip time is for the runner only and should never be used for official time.

Let say a runner takes 5 mins to get to the start line. His chip time (if they had mats would be 0:00 but his race time is already 5:00.)

If a runner started on the start line and runs 3 mins slower should in fact be listed 2 mins ahead of the first runner.

Sorry for perhaps being slow, but should it not be that chip time IS your official time and that gun time isn't your official time?

When there are timing pads in a race "chip time" gives an accurate figure of when you crossed the start and when you crossed the finish, but "gun time" (for a race with thousands in it) will throw up the inconsistencies to which you refer ... or am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think the idea is that chips can break or fail in non-obvious ways, and/or could take time to report. Gun time is low-tech, in a good way. You can see who crossed the finish line first, and immediately know who won*.
    I suppose the thing to remember is that in competitive athletics, there's no reason to care about the mid-pack plodder in a field of 5000.

* I'm aware of the irony here

Hey monkeypants, have you looked at the BHAA races? There is a 10k this weekend. Great races and much cheaper than the one you entered.
    Not until now. I'm only getting back into running for fitness, not doing heavy mileage yet, only running 10-20 miles each week along with whatever walking and cycling I can. I'm going to try doing one event each month. For June I'm walking the Mourne Way marathon, July I'm out in Park West, August...we'll see. I'll bookmark the page and check it again, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

monkeypants, if you like the Mourne Way Marathon I'd definitely check out the IMRA mountain races (http://www.imra.ie). Lots of different types from fully marked trail runs to unmarked epics across open mountain!

Tenner to join them for the year and then 7 bills per race? Can't get much better than that!

Ronan

• Advertisement

I like the idea of walking the Mourne Way. :D However, I will bookmark it as a possibility for later in the year when I'm a bit fitter. I'm also planning to walk to Galway later this year for charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

Sorry for perhaps being slow, but should it not be that chip time IS your official time and that gun time isn't your official time?

When there are timing pads in a race "chip time" gives an accurate figure of when you crossed the start and when you crossed the finish, but "gun time" (for a race with thousands in it) will throw up the inconsistencies to which you refer ... or am I missing something?

"Chip time" usually is taken to mean the time from the chip passing the start line mats (if there are any) and the finish line mats. Guntime means the time taken from the gunshot being heard to the runner crossing the finish line. Its the official time as stated in the IAAF rule 165. The chip time will always be equal to or less than the guntime, depends how far behind the start line the runner is when the gun goes off. If there are official timekeepers at an event I always adjust my times to match theirs.

As regards the missing texts, the reminder texts were not sent out by me so the only conclusion I can come to is that the file I got to do results off had those numbers missing from it, why, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭drrunner

Did anyone clock the distance on their GARMIN as a matter of interest?

Advertisement