Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

watch suggestion

• 13-05-2010 9:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    we all have our own favourite brands and styles, so i'm wondering if you can suggest something new as a future purchase (should i win the lotto!).

I currently have 2 seiko's - linked here.

What i'm looking for:
    - Automatic - i love sweep second hands
    - Chronograph
    - black dial
    - date

What i like:
    Montblanc TIMEWALKER CHRONOGRAPH AUTOMATIC
    09670_s.png

Stowa Flieger Automatik date
    1174464230-3790.jpg

SINN Model 6000
    sinn-modell-6000-finanzplatzuhr-limited-editions-watch.jpg

SINN Model 144 GMT Ti
    144-GMT-Ti.jpg

Omega Speedmaster Co-Axial Chronometer
    31130445001002-20.png

And finally - something i just saw the other day linked from here
    H3 Traser Classic Automatic Watch
    40043583701.bmp

If any one has suggestions on similar styles to these, or know is there anywhere in dublin to see SINN/Stowa or Trasers in a store that would be great.

Thanks,
    MiCr0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

The watches posted above range from €500 to around €3,000 so ideally not something not insanely more.

Definitely less than the cost of of a new car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

it's not possible to make a comparison as they are in very different price ranges.
    Personally I like the Speedmaster because it has a history, then in 30 years time you can be sure that it will stay the same and it will keep its value and its stunning look

i'm not really looking for a suggestion based on these watches, more looking for inspiration on something similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

MiCr0 wrote: »
    i'm not really looking for a suggestion based on these watches, more looking for inspiration on something similar

SteinhartNavBChronoII4L.jpg

for sales here:
    http://www.steinhartwatches.de/index.php?id=67&artnr=229&Sel_ID=27#229

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Me being of the vintage bent.... :o:)

Howabout a 1940's Lemania issued(with official markings) to the Luftwaffe 2000 dollars;
    rx0670.jpg

A 60's Heuer also issued(with official markings) to the german airforce 2500 dollars;
    rx0667.jpg

finally an original speedmaster, the one with the movement that actually went to the moon 2500 dollars;
    rxvi0282.jpg

Advantages? actual bit of history, especially with the first two, will defo hold and indeed go up in value, less money for often better quality in house movements. Why buy an homage or update, if the original is cheaper and rarer?

Disadvantages? Not waterproof, you'll need a decent watchmaker to look after them and "second hand".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

that MIH watch is awesome :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I love the simplicity of the MIH. Makes a very nice change. You'll have to supply your own history though ;):p:) Of the others I'd much prefer those than the more mass produced stuff. For the unique aspect.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

i think i'd be able to deal with the date taking a while to update :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

bedlam wrote: »
    Forget all that mass produced rubbish and dusty old watches :) What you want is an Independent made Chronograph. If you want instant gratification though, these watches probably aren't for you as there will be a waiting list.

3 Suggestions:
    1. Habring2 Chrono - €2750.
    2. Habring2 Chrono COS - A bit over budget at 5,500 for Steel (+1k for titanium) case - have a very unique set up for activating the chrono.

Both of these come in a wide range of dial colours including black and indeed Richard and Maria Habring are supposed to be very accommodating to other modification requests.

3. The MIH Watch - again slightly over budget at, iirc, €3500 - perpetual annual calendar plus a 30 minute chronograph on the back (granted not the most practical if you use the feature regularly).
    To get a better idea of the watch makers, you can read about Richard Habring here and an interview with Paul Gerber here.
    A few other suggestions:

If you ever planned on getting a Toubrillon but cant afford it now, consider the Habring2 Time Only (€1950) watch which as been designed to allow the addition of a tourbillon module (in or around the €12k mark) at a later date.

If you like Seiko, you could perhaps consider getting their Spring Drive Chrono (limited edition of 200 pieces worldwide), they are approx €5k but there has been one in Weirs window in Dundrum since they were released a few years back, so haggling might get a decent reduction.

hi dedlam

how does habring compare to say dornbluth? same league, better, worse?

The MIH looks to be made of of damasko or sinn steel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Another speedmaster

51jko7hayylss5008426144.jpg

This isn't expensive, but it is gonna be my next watch

a31056974660bigjpg76715.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement