Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiny Stereo Amplifier

• 13-05-2010 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi there, am looking for any help or suggestions to solve a small problem.

I have two ceiling speakers in room which are wired back to a socket box where they were previously connected to a stereo (which is connected to a Roku network music player). I am now going to mount the tv (which previously had hidden the stereo) on the wall and want to mount the Roku underneath - I need to find a small amplifier or some other solution. I have found this tiny amplifier on eBay which seems to be suitable, but would appreciate any other suggestions, especially more local than Hong Kong!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Too gutless, I would say. See my reply in this thread: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055909375

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Bald? er, dash!

Right, resurrecting this thread because the problem still needs to be sorted, and this is sorting-it-out week:

There are 2 100W 4 ohm ceiling speakers to power - what small form factor amplifier can I get? Should I be looking at car amps?

Don't know anything re. matching amplifiers with speakers, so any help appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

These are pretty small: http://www.amphony.com/products/mini-amplifier.htm

Car amps would be a good option, but you would need a power supply for it. I use car amps for my TV audio system.

Where are you getting the volume control from because these amps don't have any means for adjusting volume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Zilog

I'm trying to find something suitable myself - an amp which fits in a double gang socket.

Actually, I've found something suitable, pity it's not more affordable: Keene Electronics in-wall amplifier.

Considering this at the moment: eBay 2x25W Class D amp, but would need to be paired with a preamp for volume control, perhaps like this Velleman stereo pre-amp.

In case anyone reads this thread to follow up ...
    Got the amp I mentioned above from eBay, came quite quickly in a nice box with Sure Electronics written on it.
    I've mounted the 25W amp on a modular double socket front-plate and used a 100K pot with 15K resistor for volume control on my line-in (the grey cable) - instructions here.
    Test ran the amp before assembly, all worked ok. Haven't installed speakers yet, will report how the whole assembly works.
    DIY Wall amp (2).JPG
    DIY Wall amp (3).JPG
    DIY Wall amp (6).JPG

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info Zilog! Looks like an elegant diy solution! Keep us posted with when installation is complete :)

Is that 220V power supply directly into your amp?

Is that 220V power supply directly into your amp?
    Hi Balderdash, thanks for the reply!
    It's actually 20v DC from old Dell laptop supply. The amp will take a DC power supply between 12 and 30v. When building, I ran twin core up to the attic, to which I have the DC adaptor attached.
    Hope to do a bit more work on it this weekend.

Just to finish up ...
    Finally installed speakers and completed wiring. Installed isolating switch outside bathroom, cutting power to transformer so when off, system is completely off!
    Audio comes from Squeezebox Boom line-out, linked to back of amp via phono sockets in bedroom. Installed boxes with sound absorbent material behind speakers so won't hear noise upstairs, unless volume turned way up!
    All works well, pleased with results and didn't cost a fortune.

To control Squeezebox I also use SlimCtrl, a nice bit of software for old Windows Mobile PDA's. Puts the old hardware to good use!
    DIY Wall amp (7).JPG
    DIY Wall amp (8).JPG
    DIY Wall amp (10).JPG
    DIY Wall amp (11).JPG

Looks good Zilog! Well Done!

I haven't got my stuff together fully yet - I did purchase one of these to try out, but it is not fixed in place - it probably won't be either now that I'll be copying your solution ;)

Hi Bald, thanks for that, pleased with the way it turned out myself! There was a long time between inception and completion!
    I did purchase one of these
    That's a nifty looking amp for a kitchen radio/audio player :D
    Must investigate for next project...

• Advertisement
Advertisement