Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empathy and manipulation

• 13-05-2010 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭

Edit: I know the title may sound provocative. IMO manipulation is a part of our day to day lives. Just when manipulation occurs as a means to a negative end for the person in question is it considered perverse.

Empathy - a fairly comprehensive understanding of another human beings feelings or emotions at a particular time.
    The understanding gained from observation, relation to past experiences with what we observe, conscious thought and understanding - hypothesizing to a certain extent, may involve the use of assumptions - and instinct.

I refer specifically - obviously cause I'm a bloke - to the manipulation of a female.
    I'd like also to clarify I'm posting this purely as an attempt at just that, clarification.

The bulk of the female ego is based around vanity.
    The affect she feels she is having on someone - i.e. the power she feels she can command, generally with her looks, demeanor, femininity.

It incites good feeling for her and good feeling toward the person in question. An attraction will develop if the person in question is desirable, in that they are powerful themselves.
    This power can come in many different forms but is most generally recognized in the form of self assurance, confidence and masculinity.

Now, for a guy who is these things - powerful, to summarize - who knows an attraction will be there, simply the stimulation of this good feeling towards him is what is necessary.

So make a play towards vanity of the female.
    By conveying that her femininity is having an affect over him, whether he is interested emotionally or physically - and the chosen one will stimulate the according response.

Understanding what these conveyances are is obviously fundamental - and a good sense of empathy is necessary, to convey them at the right time, in the correct proportion - so on.

Hypothetical situation:
    Desirable guy meets a girl - conveys he finds her sexually attractive.
    Girl realizes she has power in this way and this stimulates good feeling towards the guy. She reciprocates the conveyance.

Now, say the girl is married with kids.
    The guy continues his conveyances upon further meetings. He's all the while playing to her ego/vanity.
    She obviously does not wish to have relations outside her marriage but is becoming helpless as it's part of her natural emotional set up to be attracted given the conditions.

What can she do?
    Herself - she could plead with the guy to stop.
    She could look for outside help - another male to intervene and initiate a cease in the manipulative tactics.
    But personally, she could use sheer will power for so long but is effectively helpless due to the mechanics of the entire situation.

Tell me I'm wrong!

Cliffs:
    Masculinity is the attraction for females - accentuated by confidence. With this in hand, manipulation can be carried out by playing to the female ago, imbuing a sense of control and thus having control.

Advertisement