Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike to Work - accessories, etc

• 13-05-2010 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I have asked on another thread about bikes, so I'll leave that out of here, but note that I'll probably be spending the full €1000 on the bike.

Just wondering what people's opinions are on shoes/pedals etc. I could get these in the LBS along with the bike, or am I more likely to get a better deal online?

Will be using the bike for Gael Force West in August, also possibly doing a couple of Sprint Triathlons to see what they are like.

Based on that, I presume I should be looking at velcro straps on the shoes.
    Next thing to think about would be what type of pedals, there's SPD & other types, right?

I have a MTB with just flat pedals, so if I got shoes for the road bike, I might eventually get pedals to match on the MTB too, so that would also be a consideration.

Other things to consider may be a track pump & tri-bars.

What would people recommend based on the above, and what sort of price would I be looking at for this in LBS vs online ?

Edit:
    Did some searching on chainreaction for ideas on pricing, its mind-boggling the number of options there.
    One more Q - do the pedals come with matching clips that you just attach to the shoes you buy, or do you buy shoes to match the pedals ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

^ BUMP ^

Anyone with advice on shoes/pedals/ other bits and pieces ?

Note, I have shorts, jersey, jackets, helmet etc, so thats all fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just wondering what people's opinions are on shoes/pedals etc. I could get these in the LBS along with the bike, or am I more likely to get a better deal online?

You will get a better deal online but you can't beat your LBS for trying them on and getting the proper service if there is a problem with fit etc.
    Will be using the bike for Gael Force West in August, also possibly doing a couple of Sprint Triathlons to see what they are like.

not sure if you intend to use a MTB for this or if you are buying a road bike? Not sure about Gael Force but for a triathlon a MTB would be alot of work

Based on that, I presume I should be looking at velcro straps on the shoes.
    Next thing to think about would be what type of pedals, there's SPD & other types, right?

Its a personal choice, I use SPD-PL pedals and cleats for road biking but for MTB most would use SPDs. I am not a mountain biker so I can't say anything about them. SPDs should be fine for road biking though as I havve seen alot of people using them.

Like I said a personal choice
    What would people recommend based on the above, and what sort of price would I be looking at for this in LBS vs online ?

LBS are usually 20% upwards more expensive but it really depends on what your getting. That percentage could vary from 10 to 100% just look around and don't feel pressured but remember your LBS give you more support and you should factor that into the cost HINT HINT don't be a d*uche
    One more Q - do the pedals come with matching clips that you just attach to the shoes you buy, or do you buy shoes to match the pedals ?

Different shoes take different clips that might only fit certain pedals. decide on the system you want and then look for the shoes that you like best that can work with that system. Post up what you like and then you can get more opinions on the shoe/pedal.

Advertisement