Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard lengths of wood

Options
  • 13-05-2010 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

I am going to be starting a decking project soon and know nothing about standard wood lengths.

Obviously I am going to need wooden stakes which will be concreted in. Add cleets to these. Then I'm going to need lengths of wood to run parallel. On top of that I will need to frame and put joists.

I am going to measure out this evening but if I had an idea what lengths were standard would mean I can work with these measurements. First wood work project.

Any input things to watch out for appreciated.
    X

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

most 4x4 posts come in 2.4m lengths. longer lengths can also be bought and cut to suit. as for everything else the usual lengths are 4.8m but can be 3.6m,4.8m,5.1m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Mazthespark has most of it covered there, but as a general rule of thumb you can count on timber coming in the metric equivalents of 8', 12', 14' and 16' lengths. Heavy posts and larger sections sizes etc will generally come in shorter lengths while thinner boards will often be available in 14' or 16' lengths.

Advertisement