Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Ordinary Family [** SPOILERS **]

• 13-05-2010 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭

ABC announced that it has picked up No Ordinary Family starring Michael Chiklis (The Shield) - a drama about a family with amazing new abilities. Besides Chiklis, the series also stars Julie Benz (Dexter) and Tate Donovan (Damages). It’s executive produced by Greg Berlanti, Jon Feldman, Morgan Wandell and David Semel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Good stuff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Seems alright, but I cant help thinking of The Incredibles in Real-life, television form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Holy Christ.. there's some absolutely horrific dialogue in that trailer!

Mother: "Who are you texting now?"
    Daughter: "God!"

Daughter: "I don't want new abilities.. high school is hard enough as it is!"

Chiklis, Malco and Benz deserve better!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah, the text summary was a lot more appealing than the trailer. I'll give it a watch, btu don't have much hope for it. I thought the whole thing was set in Brazil.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

julie benz is hot ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

julie benz is hot ;)

She will always be Darla (Buffy/Angel) to me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

julie benz is hot ;)

Very true...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

"a lair"
    "i have a lair"
    "yes, you have a lair....with WIFI"
    HIGH FIVES all around!

i can see the americans eating this **** up!

might be the new heroes...

Modern Family meets Heroes.

... it could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Trailer looks awesome. I'll definitely be tuning in. Lets hope the plug isn't pulled too soon on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Josh Stewart has been tapped to play Watcher to Michael Chiklis’ nascent superhero clan on ABC’s buzzy fall drama No Ordinary Family

[MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD] - review of the pilot, i must admit based on this description it could be loads of fun and a worthy watch: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/rant/2010/06/22/the-futons-first-look-no-ordinary-family-abc/20100622_noordinaryfamily/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

This got some pretty bad feedback at Comic-con though, the full pilot was aired for attendees and didn't really impress. The trailer looks pretty dismal too.

ABC is making the pilot available online, no doubt we'll see webrips soon enough :-)

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/08/21/abc-makes-no-ordinary-family-pilot-available-online/60621

The PREAIR of episode 1 is "out" :-)

Dunno lads, think i might wait for the proper broadcast and 720p.

As about half-way through it, and 3 simple words - "bag of sh*te"!
    • Horrific writing. The worst, most cringey of which was featured in the first trailer. But it had this terrible need to force pop / current references all too frequently - Twitter, texting etc.
    • Michael Chiklis just looks very bored in this, and feels like he's the phoning the performance in. We all know what an incredible actor he is, but this just feels all a bit "safe". Julie Benz hasn't done much as of yet.. and is about an impressive as she was in 'Dexter' (i.e not a whole lot). The kids are goddamn woeful. Romany Malco (who I always liked) hasn't had enough screentime to judge yet, but he's looks practically unrecognisable from his time in 'Weeds'.
    • It's not particular fun, it feels all a bit sub-par and it has absolutely nothing new or appealing about it.
    • The documentary style doesn't work.. it does on shows like 'The Office', 'Parks And Recreations' and 'Modern Family' - but not here!
    As you can guess - I'm not hugely impressed so far... maybe it'll pull it all out of the bag in the last 20 minutes and I'll be impressed but someone, I doubt it!

• Advertisement

^ scathing review from Basq!!!!!....the interview style is being dropped, it only features in the pilot, a vehicle to introduce the characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

But... Autumn Reeser!

the interview style is being dropped, it only features in the pilot, a vehicle to introduce the characters.
    As a "vehicle, it crashed and burned! :pac:

OisinT wrote: »
    But... Autumn Reeser!

autumn-reeser.jpg

:D

Yes.. we get it.. she's cute, looks about 15 and has tits. Good for her! :rolleyes:

Can we discuss the show from now on please? She wasn't very impressive in the pilot.. she had one line I smirked at (about "The Olympics always being in North Korea").

We need to get the Autumn fanboy's in! :-)
    I'll watch the pilot later, wanna see Rubicon, The Gates, Pillars Pt. 6 first :-)

Basquille....you're soooo cynical!!...so i watched it, while not the greatest show or best written, it had a good heart with fairly likeable characters. Kay Panabaker...this could be her breakout hit!

I've seen her in a fair bit of stuff from her early Summerland days, she's maturing nicely :-)
    As for the show, as stated in a review i linked above ^ ...it's nice to see superpowers be fun and not a burden, exporing those powers etc.
    It's pretty light stuff, this is just the pilot...it felt and looked like a pilot, it somehow seems unfinished and unpolished. I think with later epsiodes they actors will find there ground, i wonder if they'll develop more powers?....the son being a math wiz is hardly going to lend himself to crimefighting or helping the family.

It depends how they go, i think with shows like these you need an arch nemesis, or an overall story arc, they've already hinted at others having powers as well....the bad guys powers were right out of "Push", his scene stuck out in the parking lot....it seemed totally out of place.

But overall i think it has potential, if the writers do good stories and the characters remain likable. It has it's flaws for sure, it's nothing hugely original, the dialogue is cheesy in parts...but i'm willing to give it a go once the season starts proper.

One gripe...Autumn Reeser woefully underused!, please don't make her some superhero sidekick!, give her powers!

That cop was locked in the boot. We saw him lock it, take the keys out.

How in the heck did she manage to open it up and shoot the bad guy just in time? Does she have super powers as well? If so, it was not once hinted at.

I really wanted this to be good, but it disappointed me. Is every episode going to be them talking to this marriage counselor?

Is every episode going to be them talking to this marriage counselor?
    As Richard mentioned above:
    the interview style is being dropped, it only features in the pilot, a vehicle to introduce the characters.

But they did mention about seeing him again.. seemed a bit of an odd line (the marriage counsellor) to drop in there if that particular aspect of the show was being dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I watched this last night. It was okay. You could see them trying make an effort to make it good, but it needs a lot of brushing up for the final draft.

Advertisement