Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Places to Visit in Ireland

Options
  • 13-05-2010 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi folks,

I've just moved to Ireland from Scotland and wondered if anyone could suggest some places to visit. I'm living in Dublin which is great, and have been to Galway a couple of times which I loved, but apart from holidays in Carlingford when I was a kid that's about all I know.

Can anyone suggest places to go for the weekend, with nice scenery, things to do, and of course a few good boozers (pubs, not people that like a drink!)?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I love the west.
    Dingle, The Gaeltacht, Co. Kerry.
    Wesport, Co. Mayo.
    Nothing beats a day and night on Inis Mor, Aran Islands during the summer.
    Connemara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 scoopy

Thanks a million for the suggestion.

I love the sound of Inis Mor in the summer, but I'll check out Dingle and Wesport too.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I travelled around Sligo, Roscommon and Leitrim last summer and really enjoyed it.

A car is a must though, if you have one then base in Sligo for the pubs and restuarants and travel during the day to see the sights.

There's Glencar waterfall, lough key forest park, abbey's, ancient dolmen burial fields, castles, lakes, scenic drives, arigna mining experience.

I really enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 scoopy

Thanks draffodx.

I'll definitely be using a car, and that sounds exactly what im looking for.

Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭LK1

If you are basing yourself in Sligo Check out www.sligotourism.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

scoopy wrote: »
    Thanks draffodx.

I'll definitely be using a car, and that sounds exactly what im looking for.

Much appreciated!

No problem, I'm going to explore the Burren area myself in July so hopefully it'll be as good as Sligo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Always nice to head up north as well - Belfast is a buzzing city, and it's a fab drive up the coast to the likes of the giant's causeway, carrick-a-rede rope bridge etc.

West Cork is also great - the scenery is stunning and plenty of great pubs and great seafood. Check out Baltimore and take a trip out to Sherkin or Clear Islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

the burren and connemarra are my favorites, and i also really enjoyed the giant's causeway and the surroundings. I also love the reservoirs and the mourne mountains if you like hiking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 vctr_

scoopy wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I've just moved to Ireland from Scotland and wondered if anyone could suggest some places to visit. I'm living in Dublin which is great, and have been to Galway a couple of times which I loved, but apart from holidays in Carlingford when I was a kid that's about all I know.

Can anyone suggest places to go for the weekend, with nice scenery, things to do, and of course a few good boozers (pubs, not people that like a drink!)?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Hi,

You should def head out to Connemara and the Islands. So amazing and well worth the trip. You can stay in Salthill and travel in and out as it is not to far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dugganindeep

The Aran Islands is a must visit. Take a weekend or more and take in the cliffs of moher and the burren.
    Aran Islands

• Advertisement
Advertisement