Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 year old boy with broken leg - What do to?!

Options
  • 13-05-2010 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭

My mum looks after my cousins who are 8 & 5 for three days during the week. Andrew (8) has fractured his ankle and is now on crutches with a cast and he is bored out of his tree already and it's only been 4 days!

I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas to keep him occupied. He's an avid reader so he's been doing a lot of that lately but it's starting to wear on him a bit. I've tried the whole, colouring, crafts, baking etc and we're trying to avoid just plonking him in front on the computer/tv for hours as you can imagine so we're running out of ideas.

Also, it's his school tour next week which is to the National Aquatic Centre, obviously he can't take part so I was wondering if anyone has a good idea for a day out that would cheer him considering he can't be with his friends.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I was on crutches for a while around his age (nasty lawnmower incident). I don't remember being terribly bored. I remember my hands getting sore from the crutches so I probably moved around a good bit.

Is he mobile like?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Khannie wrote: »
    I was on crutches for a while around his age (nasty lawnmower incident). I don't remember being terribly bored. I remember my hands getting sore from the crutches so I probably moved around a good bit.

Is he mobile like?

He's mobile enough, in as much as you can be while on crutches.

Thing is before hand he played football with his friends for hours upon hours after school and now he's stuck just watching him and it's getting frustrating for him. It was a novelty being on the crutches at the beginning but he's sick of it now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'd say getting him out and about is probably a good idea. While it might take him a long time to cover distance he'll sleep well after it. :) I'd say the zoo is probably a good bet. Plenty of places to stop and rest if he gets tired.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

A child in our school was in a similar position but wanted to go on the tour for the craic on the bus anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

A child in our school was in a similar position but wanted to go on the tour for the craic on the bus anyhow!
    I was wondering that as well. shouldn't really stop him going on the tour really unless the school has a policy about it?

The chap will get loads of attention from his buddies as well I would imagine. Nothing like a good scar or broken bone to get some attention.

• Advertisement

I was wondering that as well. shouldn't really stop him going on the tour really unless the school has a policy about it?

The chap will get loads of attention from his buddies as well I would imagine. Nothing like a good scar or broken bone to get some attention.

Well his school is only a 15 minute journey from the NAC, and being in a cast he can't get in. The observation area is not beside the pool there either so he'd just be watching his whole class through a pane of glass which sitting with his teachers..

The zoo is a great idea, cheers Khannie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Well his school is only a 15 minute journey from the NAC, and being in a cast he can't get in. The observation area is not beside the pool there either so he'd just be watching his whole class through a pane of glass which sitting with his teachers..

The zoo is a great idea, cheers Khannie :)

Oh I didn't realise that the activity school tour was actual swimming. I'm not familiar with the aquatic centre.

On that point I did a quick google and found this link: http://www.prlog.org/10065057-swim-with-cast-broken-arm-or-broken-leg-before-summer-vacation-dry-pro-by-dry-corp-has-the-answer.html

I am not sure about how realistic this is for you but maybe a more local company might have a similar waterproofing solution to allow the chap to take part in the school day out with a waterproofed cast? Just an idea to be added to the mix.

Oh I didn't realise that the activity school tour was actual swimming. I'm not familiar with the aquatic centre.

On that point I did a quick google and found this link: http://www.prlog.org/10065057-swim-with-cast-broken-arm-or-broken-leg-before-summer-vacation-dry-pro-by-dry-corp-has-the-answer.html

I am not sure about how realistic this is for you but maybe a more local company might have a similar waterproofing solution to allow the chap to take part in the school day out with a waterproofed cast? Just an idea to be added to the mix.

That is brilliant!! Seriously, Thank you SO much!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

whatever about the tour, be sure to get a cast cover from local chemist or medical shop - there are waterproof and at least he can shower properly. costs about 20euro. even with cast cover I can't see the aquatic centre letting him in cos he'd never be able to negotiate around the pool/changing area

whatever about the tour, be sure to get a cast cover from local chemist or medical shop - there are waterproof and at least he can shower properly. costs about 20euro. even with cast cover I can't see the aquatic centre letting him in cos he'd never be able to negotiate around the pool/changing area

Oh crap.. never thought of that. Crutches on a wet floor wouldn't be too clever..

It'd be nice even if someone could carry him to the side of the pool, at least he could interact that way.

I'll tell him mam that idea though! Hopefully it'll be a go-er!

• Advertisement
Advertisement