Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on the Trek 1.2 or 1.5

• 13-05-2010 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Folks, jumping over from the athletics forum to ask for some opinions on the Trek 1.2 and Trek 1.5 as a starter road bike. My plan is to do a few sportive this year and build from there. Running is still my core sport, but I wouldn't mind trying the odd duathlon etc. I also want to use the bike to cross-train and will be commuting the 10km to work too. I have a secure place to leave it btw.

So how do folks feel about this bike? Is it worth stretching the extra €100+ to get the 1.5? Is there another bike at this price point I should consider?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭setanta159

Hi, am no expert but bought a 2nd hand trek sl1000 recently which is a fantastic bike and suits my needs. Just saw this which may be of interest to you http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=222274&cat=209 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

stmochtas wrote: »
    So how do folks feel about this bike? Is it worth stretching the extra €100+ to get the 1.5? Is there another bike at this price point I should consider?

I would assume you'd be paying around €950 for the 1.5?

That is a decent price for a Tiagra-equipped aluminium framed bike with a carbon fork.

Carbon framed bikes start from around €1200 from the likes of Boardman (Halfords) and Planet-X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I have a 1.2 for the last year and it has yet to let me down, passed out a fair amount of carbon framed bells and whistles on my last out so it really is more about the engine.
    That said the 1.2 runs a sora group set, the 1.5 a Tiagra. The sora works but is basic, I had hoped to upgrade by now so am sorry I didnt spend a few more quid at the time on a decent group set as the sora can take a bit of.... 'understanding' sometimes. I have never ridden a Tiagra so cnt comment on it but going on reports it is def better than the Sora. So if you are buying with a view to keeping it I would probably bite the bullet and look at the 105 group set as base which is a Trek 2.1 or 2.3 but if your buying to sell on then like I said I cant really fault the 1.2.

As with other bikes, I have a big soft spot for Bianchi but they are not so easy to get if you want the bike now!

Best of luck and enjoy:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Robertd_07

I picked up my 1.5 at the end of February. Can't fault it.
    Didn't pay €950 for it though.
    Wasn't quite prepared to go over the €1000 mark on my first road bike.
    Also, was advised that the Tiagra groupset would be more robust when used 5 days a week all year round. (I don't know if that's fact, but I bought it)
    One thing that surprised me was how comfortable it was.
    Has encouraged me to do a lot more miles that I used to on the MTB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Mark OK

I bought the 1.5 earlier this year and have no complaints (€899 in Stagg cycles) it would be nice to have a 105 groupset but Tiagra does the job fine, overall it's good value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I've been looking at other bikes in the <1000 bracket. Currently narrowed it down to the 3 listed in this post:-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65833145&postcount=41

Seems to be in a similar bracket to the 1.5, and saw that in another LBS yesterday, it looks nice alright.

Too much choice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Lumen wrote: »
    I would assume you'd be paying around €950 for the 1.5?

That is a decent price for a Tiagra-equipped aluminium framed bike with a carbon fork.

Carbon framed bikes start from around €1200 from the likes of Boardman (Halfords) and Planet-X.

Quoted €899 for the 1.5 for information.

Thanks for all the response so far lads. Might push the boat out for the 1.5 and I will price the 2.1. as you get a better frame and groupset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

I've the 1.5 , got it at 850e in Limerick. You can push for 850 in my experience, even more so now. Have the components been cheapened since the 2008 model.

Really consider a carbon framed bike. They're only a little bit more in cost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

IMO - you're paying a price for brand there. It's a solid bike, but strip the name out and you could substantially upgrade your bike for that kind of price as Lumen suggests.

I had heard Trek are a little unreliable on the supply side, can take a while to come in, so make sure you have a very definite understanding about delivery time before parting with your readies.

• Advertisement

uberwolf wrote: »
    IMO - you're paying a price for brand there. It's a solid bike, but strip the name out and you could substantially upgrade your bike for that kind of price as Lumen suggests.

I had heard Trek are a little unreliable on the supply side, can take a while to come in, so make sure you have a very definite understanding about delivery time before parting with your readies.

Thanks for the advice I will certainly question the supply side when purchasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

As with other bikes, I have a big soft spot for Bianchi but they are not so easy to get if you want the bike now!
    Tell me about it, especially anything in celeste. I've had a Via Nirone Xenon on order from Evans for over 2 months and they keep pushing the date back. They did send me my celeste water bottle and holder though. I've decided to go for the tiagra instead because they've that in stock but I don't think the celeste water bottle holder will suit it:(.

Advertisement