Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycle to work bike

• 13-05-2010 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

hi

Just got my quote for the Cycle to work scheme and was wondering if anyone could give me some reviews or feedback on the bike i just bought

it is an Cube SL Cross Comp GTS

Now i have to wait 2 months for the company to process the application form pain in the hole

magotch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Not sure what the GTS refers to, but assuming it's this it looks lovely.

I bought a Cube MTB with a similar paint scheme and it looks great.

Get a decent lock!

44387.jpg=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

magotch07 wrote: »
    Now i have to wait 2 months for the company to process the application form pain in the hole

magotch

Why does it take 2 months? mine was processed and paid for within a few hours of talking with our FD.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭magotch07

yep thats the one i got a good lock but i should be safe enough in work the office has an underground carpark with 2 security gates and a security guard on duty and cctv

not sure why it takes 2 months but its a serious pain in the hole was looking forward to getting it soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭f1000

hmmm, Iwas looking to get one of these.

Cube SL Cross Team
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=32&idproduct=32268

only .3kg in the difference & 400e extra. I guess I will have to pop out to Tallaght to make my mind up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

Warning, staff of said shop here...

The weight isn't the only difference between those two bikes. The team also has superior wheels(ultegra hubs vs tiagra hubs), superior shifting mechs (shimano deore lx and xt over the standard deore) and shifters (lx over xt). It all adds up! With the Cube cross-type hybrids, there is generally a pro, comp and team version, with the same frame and different finishing kits, so depending on what kit you get, the component quality, weight and price are affected accordingly. Ask whoever to point out the differences in the shop, they may be small but they do count.

• Advertisement

Hey Dave,

I am not trying to piss off the staff of said shop. I was only making a slight observation. I do know that the addition of a better groupset & components make up the rest of the value.

I hope you don't mind if I buy one.

Yours, customer of said shop.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound annoyed in any way! I was just trying to highlight where the differences between the bikes were, as some people, especially people who are relatively new to cycling, often don't see the differences. I genuinely hope you don't think I was being frustrated or anything, in fact, the opposite, I was trying to be helpful. Again, sorry if that didn't come across.

Edit: on top of that, the only reason I said 'warning, staff if said shop here' is that I think on an open forum like that it's important to be honest about information like that. If I were to extoll the virtues of a bike we stock over another we don't, it would be wrong of me, as this is no place for a sales pitch. Similarly, I mentioned I work there in order to put my last comment in context. I tried to be neutral in my tone so that you wouldn't feel I was bigging the bike up or anything.

No bother Dave, Will be out to purchase a new ride. Cube SL Cross Team is top of my list. Have being riding a hardtail MTB for the last decade. Was also thinking about the Cube LTD Team RX hardtail as an alternaltive to a cross/street bike.

Thats why I said I should pop out to Tallaght for some advice.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/home.asp

Cool, I'm sure when you pop out whatever member of staff you're dealing with would be happy to point out the relative strengths of each bike. You know yourself from cycling for the last 10 years, bikes can be pretty function specific, getting the right one for your needs is important, and we do our best to help people make the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ripeinmay

Do you guys live up in the mountains, getting bikes like those? I assume your cycling to work around Dublin which is as flat as a pancake. I'd get a road bike (racer) Sooo much faster than those and you'll use less energy when cycling. No one likes turning up to work smelling like BO. :D

• Advertisement

There are advantages and disadvantages to getting a road bike, and some find the advantages of a cross bike outweigh those offered by a road bike. A road bike would also be more appropriate in the hills, given the weight. Yes, a road bike is faster, but that often isn't top of the list of requirements from a commuting bike. Things like comfort, a high eye level position, ability to carry a rack, store-ability, something that won't attract thieves, and a number of other concerns are often above speed. I commute on a road bike now, use a fixed gear for getting to and from Dublin city, and agree that Dublin is flat, but can't quite make the leap from it being flat to a road bike being the obvious answer... Surely because it's flat, weight would be less of a concern, and you could reduce the number of gears without impacting on your ability to get around, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ripeinmay

There are advantages and disadvantages to getting a road bike, and some find the advantages of a cross bike outweigh those offered by a road bike. A road bike would also be more appropriate in the hills, given the weight. Yes, a road bike is faster, but that often isn't top of the list of requirements from a commuting bike. Things like comfort, a high eye level position, ability to carry a rack, store-ability, something that won't attract thieves, and a number of other concerns are often above speed. I commute on a road bike now, use a fixed gear for getting to and from Dublin city, and agree that Dublin is flat, but can't quite make the leap from it being flat to a road bike being the obvious answer... Surely because it's flat, weight would be less of a concern, and you could reduce the number of gears without impacting on your ability to get around, no?

Some good points made there, I just think a road bike is best way to get around Dublin. In the past to 2 years i've converted two non-cyclists to cyclists, both had tried cycling before but didn't like it; as soon as they got on a road bike, they loved it and cycle everyday since. However they were both quite young in there mid-20's so comfort/position wern't a high priority.

I'd just like to suggest giving a road bike a shot. As the bikes above, in my experience tend to be sluggish in comparison.

Although they do look nice ;)

Agreed, I'm mostly a roadie myself! They are good looking machines alright, but the cross bikes aren't that sluggish... The gearing on them is nice and high, frame's stiff, wheels are strong, a set of road tyres on them (700 x 25 or something) and you'd be flying! Granted, not as suitable for long distance work (aerodynamics and comfort is improved on road bikes because of a lower position and a variety of hand positions taking the burden of a small number of muscles in the back, neck and shoulders and spreading it about a bit), but nippy nonetheless! All practical commuting speeds would be well manageable, and they're almost (but not quite) as light as entry level road bikes.

Advertisement