Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redirecting Old Domain

Options
  • 13-05-2010 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

I work with a company that used to have a site hosted by Eircom but that site wasn't used in a few years and they have now opened a new site hosted by someone else.

We don't have any IT personnel anymore and I need to get the old site shut down or redirected.

Does anyone know if I ring Eircom up will they do this for me or is it something they would be hesitant to do.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

if you have access to the site (and it hosted on an Apache server) you can redirect through your htaccess file (sounds messy - but its not).
    If windows server you can do it through your manager.

If its fairly 'shotgun' ie "anyoldsitepages.com to newhomepage.com" then it's very straight forward.

Have you issues about search rankings etc on the old site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've no access at all. I just did a search on the domain and it told me Eircom were the hosts. I know it'll take a while for the new site to be indexed and ranked on search engines but the brass want rid of the old site. It's tough work being a lackey.

I'll give Eircom a buzz in the morning and see if they can sort it for me.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

i sent you a pm

C

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Move the old domain to the new hosting provider and setup a redirect.

You haven't mentioned anything about email, so you may need to check to see if the old domain was being used for email as well ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 tiresmokindad

I think they will automatically do it for you. I've experience to have that kind of Eircom. And when it ring up, it is automatically redirecting to old domain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Subliminal Stimulus

If you don't get a solution from eircom, and the site is hosted on an apache enabled server, then a '301 redirect' is your only man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Thanks for all your replies guys. I got onto Eircom this morning and they have sorted it for me.

Advertisement