Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can someone recommend what bike I should be looking at?

• 13-05-2010 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm about 6ft 1" or 2" and am 25. I have a full car licence and have applied for my provisional bike licence.

I like sport bikes much more than cruisers etc. My favourite bike is a GSXR to give you an idea of the style I'm after.

Can someone recommend something to get and also if anyone has any indication of insurance costs that would be great - might save me having to ring the insurance companies.

I think I always imagined that I would get a CBR250 but I've heard there not really suitable for someone my height?

Any help appreciated - thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

SV650?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

quinn.ie do online quotes..

that'll give you a good idea of insurance prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

KamiKazi wrote: »
    SV650?
    also think of a VStrom 650

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭irlforum

Yes the SV650 looks quite nice. Can you still limit bikes as I think with my first licence I'd be limited to 33bhp isn't it?

Although I might push the budget a little aswell I would prefer to stick to around a 1k spending budget for the bike. (pity the oldest SV650 is 1999). I suppose thinking then of around 200 for gear and hoping my insurance won't be anymore than 800.

irlforum wrote: »
    Yes the SV650 looks quite nice. Can you still limit bikes as I think with my first licence I'd be limited to 33bhp isn't it?

Although I might push the budget a little aswell I would prefer to stick to around a 1k spending budget for the bike. (pity the oldest SV650 is 1999). I suppose thinking then of around 200 for gear and hoping my insurance won't be anymore than 800.

Yep, it'll have to be restricted. The SV650 is a vtwin with lots of torque though, so the restrictor won't effect it as much as an inline4 engine.

You'd hardly get a nice helmet for 200, never mind jacket, pants, boots and gloves.

• Advertisement

You'd hardly get a nice helmet for 200, never mind jacket, pants, boots and gloves.

Heh heh - Oh right :D

I often see people riding around though with jeans and shoes and just a leather jacket. Is this only good enough for very short spins?

Can you recommend how I would go about getting or recognising a bike that has not been abused? Also is it expensive to get a bike restricted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I often see people riding around though with jeans and shoes and just a leather jacket. Is this only good enough for very short spins?

Can you recommend how I would go about getting or recognising a bike that has not been abused? Also is it expensive to get a bike restricted?

You can still get a bad slap on short spins. Nothing in the rule book that says otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Those people are point blank 100% morons. If they have ever met somebody who was in a crash without proper gear and saw the mess that is left behind they might think twice.

Those people are point blank 100% morons. If they have ever met somebody who was in a crash without proper gear and saw the mess that is left behind they might think twice.

I'm sorry to hear than. I always thought it would be really convenient to hob onto the bike every now and again without having to change all my clothes or is all the gear overalls generally?

What about going into town then - Bad enough having to carry the old helmet.

Steady on, if they want to wear jeans and runners then so be it. Live and let live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Cotter Motorcycles (in Dublin) have some fantastic offers on gear at the moment. Check out their website at www.cottermc.com and let the bargains roll! (Hold the cursor over 'Categories' and then slect whatever clearance group you want). Seriously, I'm not an employee of theirs (!) or anything; I just got decked out very recently with all my gear for less than 250 euro - AlpineStars boots (usually 225 or thereabouts), a Ducchinni jacket (with CE-approved armour at shoulders and elbows); a Shark helmet; and a pair of Richa Supersport gloves. It's a great place with cheap - yet quality - gear. Simon'll sort you out - don't be afraid to haggle a little on prices.

And DO get the gear. Even in town, if you come off, you'll know about it. Get some training too if you haven't ridden before.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Big J

OP - I'm a bit taller than you and find that being tall means many bikes simply aren't comfortable, generally because the footpegs are too high and so my legs are cramped. You will probably be able to get away with it but if the bike you are looking at has a sculpted tank that juts out above where your knees go and your knees are too high up then that is really uncomfortable. It will be difficult as you don't have experience of bikes but recommendations from others (unless they are about the same size as you) will be of limited value. Best thing is to see if there is a local dealer with a few different bikes that he will allow you to sit on and check the riding position. Look for your legs being cramped or possible strain on your lower back. If it feels comfortable then it is probably OK.

You will almost certainly come off at some time. It will hurt. When it happens what you are wearing is all that keeps your skin from scraping along the road. You need a decent helmet, proper gloves and a reasonably tough jacket. Boots are, in my opinion, essential. Look at your ankle bones and imagine them being abraded whilst you slide down the road in trainers. They don't have to be motorcycle boots but they need to cover your ankles (motorcycle boots will last longer as the gearshift can wear through the top of ordinary boots).

Don't be put off though and I hope you enjoy biking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Hey mate.

I have a CBR 250 and am your height. If it's your first bike you won't feel cramped on it...I ride a yamaha xj6 now but when I hop on the CBR I adjust to it within a few mins.

Make sure you buy the best gear you can afford!!

I have to say after checking around abit there are definitely alot of SV650's I don't like and some I really like - this one for example is absolutely class - http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/Intermingl/sv650s/lowers.jpg Is this the 2003 model?

I also like the bike with no fairings at all on the front. Would I end up just destroying the fairings with the full fairing model though when I drop it? (seems from what I've read I will drop it)

This is what I mean by without front fairings - http://www.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/motorbikes/1302189

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

Since your tall and a beginner i'd go for a larger, more upright bike (xt600 etc, any trail bike). They would be easier to control and it would make sense to get something that can fall over without costing you hundreds.
    Something like this

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1310124
    You could probably bring this lad down abit in price.

Course if you don't like the style there is no point, you have to get something you like.

Since your tall and a beginner i'd go for a larger, more upright bike (xt600 etc, any trail bike). They would be easier to control and it would make sense to get something that can fall over without costing you hundreds.
    Something like this

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1310124
    You could probably bring this lad down abit in price.

Course if you don't like the style there is no point, you have to get something you like.

Yeah I don't actually mind the look of that bike. The 650 really appeals lookwise more though.

I don't think i'll be falling off the bike all the time personally but just it seems that people always say "You'll fall off it at least once" anyway.

I'm thinking of a 650 without the front fairings - can you always add on the fairings to make it looks like that first link I posted in the future?

Then again the trail bike would appeal to my budget much much more.

What a decision I have. Blow my budget by about three times just so I'm 100% happy with the looks or stick to my budget at the cost of looks. Aaaahh. I'll need to research that trail bike abit more. I know for example the sv650 does have more things going for it than looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I ride in shorts and runners sometimes and in full gear other times I might be being a bit risky but i'm gonna take it handier than if i'm in my full gear

but i never ride ithout a real back protector and helmet

to say i'm 100% moron is a bit much do you have issue with my speeding on an empty road or lifting the wheel out of roundabouts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

To each their own way of doing things, its their skin. But its highly recommended to wear full protective gear whenever you go out on yer bike.
    As recommended already, Cotters in Ballymount is a good place to go buy gear at realistic prices.
    If you are new to bikes, i recommend a naked bike, cos you will drop it at some stage, its the learning process, so it wont cost you much to fix if you drop it, maybe an indicator and a clutch lever only.
    Get some bit of training to help you stay alive.

Tigger wrote: »
    I ride in shorts and runners sometimes and in full gear other times I might be being a bit risky but i'm gonna take it handier than if i'm in my full gear

to say i'm 100% moron is a bit much do you have issue with my speeding on an empty road or lifting the wheel out of roundabouts?

I reserve my right to call anybody who hops on a bike/moped without full protective gear on moron. Just as you have the right to be a moron and do it.

I have seen first hand the full repercussions of accidents with full gear and the bare minimum. The large portions of skin that have to be removed from your ass and plastered across your ankle/calf/thigh. The bone, ligaments and muscle that gets stripped away. The constant infections, skin breaks, disgusting scars and holes where muscle should be. The regret that will follow you for the rest of your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

i drove a cbr 250rr for over a year and loved it. Im 5.10 and after a long journey my lower back would get very sore but that will happen with any sports bike where you drive with your elbows on your knees for a few hours!

after coming off it in a bad crash with a jeep that pulled out in front of me that didnt see me all I'll say is buy the best gear you can afford. the price you pay for a helmot should be the value you put on your head. I thank my lucky stars i was wearing a spin protector and full leathers or i wouldnt be here today.

just remember if you come off that bike at even 30kph just wearing jeans you'll be grinding bone after 5 feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

I reserve my right to call anybody who hops on a bike/moped without full protective gear on moron. Just as you have the right to be a moron and do it.

I have seen first hand the full repercussions of accidents with full gear and the bare minimum. The large portions of skin that have to be removed from your ass and plastered across your ankle/calf/thigh. The bone, ligaments and muscle that gets stripped away. The constant infections, skin breaks, disgusting scars and holes where muscle should be. The regret that will follow you for the rest of your life.

sounds like ye should be driving a volvo tbh

this whole gear-nazism seems so against the spirit of biking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Tigger wrote: »

I used to think the same - ' ah, i'm only flying the shops, i'll be grand with just a jacket' then one day I spilled it coming out of my garden (not the cbr thank god!) just like that, pulled out like I done every other day but the tarmac didnt' like my rubber that day and I went skidding - seen the rashing on my bike throusers and boots & thanked my stars!

Wossack wrote: »
    sounds like ye should be driving a volvo tbh

this whole gear-nazism seems so against the spirit of biking

Remember one thing. I agree 100% on the ability to head out without any protective gear on, helmet included. Its your choice and you place no real risk to anybody else. But don't think for one second I'm not going to think that on Irish roads with Irish drivers and with Irish hazards there isn't a good chance of taking a spill. And without gear a little spill becomes a life changing accident. And that makes you a moron for doing that to yourself for the sake of 2 minutes to put it on.

Yeah I don't actually mind the look of that bike. The 650 really appeals lookwise more though.

I don't think i'll be falling off the bike all the time personally but just it seems that people always say "You'll fall off it at least once" anyway.

I'm thinking of a 650 without the front fairings - can you always add on the fairings to make it looks like that first link I posted in the future?

Then again the trail bike would appeal to my budget much much more.

What a decision I have. Blow my budget by about three times just so I'm 100% happy with the looks or stick to my budget at the cost of looks. Aaaahh. I'll need to research that trail bike abit more. I know for example the sv650 does have more things going for it than looks.

You can but it's more hassle than it's worth. You'd be better off selling the naked and buying a faired version.

Right I'm kind of rethinking the whole thing a little bit. I'm going to try to abandon the ego or vain element as much as possible beginning although the bike I decide to get would still need to be a bike that I like the look of. (Not into cruiser type look at all) That Yamaha bike linked earlier actually looks ok and I'm going to look into that further.

Basically if I had 3k to spend then I'd buy the SV650. I wouldn't be too keen about the fact that it will probably be dropped once or twice though after spending 3k. I don't want to be that bothered or concerned about dropping it either.

I think I should start off on something cheaper and more capable of taking a smack. Given my budget of in or around 1k can anyone recommend any other bikes? Obviously another concern is restriced power because I'm only going to be on my first provisional - so ideally something that is still nice to use after being restriced! :)

Hope you understand that I'm not turning my hand up to your advice - just simply gaining more info on the requirements which would be ideal for me personally.

I went for a CB400 as my first bike, no shiny plastics to break.

honda-cb400sf-main.jpg

Cost me €1100 and hasn't given me any problems in a year apart from the reg/rec dying which is a common Honda problem. It's on its third set of handlebars, mirrors, footpegs and gear / brake levers and still going without a bother so that shows how tough a bike they are :pac:

I'm 5'11" or so and I've loads of room on it, but even if you are a bit cramped on it you can get adjustables rearsets which allow you to move the footpegs, brake and gear levers to suit you.

I went for a CB400 as my first bike, no shiny plastics to break.

honda-cb400sf-main.jpg

Cost me €1100 and hasn't given me any problems in a year apart from the reg/rec dying which is a common Honda problem. It's on its third set of handlebars, mirrors, footpegs and gear / brake levers and still going without a bother so that shows how tough a bike they are :pac:

I'm 5'11" or so and I've loads of room on it, but even if you are a bit cramped on it you can get adjustables rearsets which allow you to move the footpegs, brake and gear levers to suit you.

Yeah this might suit me. Price, durability, ease to find parts.

I've just read here on wikipedia though http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055797768 that it was originally released as a Japanese only bike in 1992. Doesn't mention anything about Europe.

Was it not the case that the CBR250 was Japanese only - hence only being suitable for smaller riders?

Yep Jap only just like the old 250cc / 400cc sports bikes due to the different licences over there.

They're still pretty common over here, not a bother finding any parts.

Yep Jap only just like the old 250cc / 400cc sports bikes due to the different licences over there.

They're still pretty common over here, not a bother finding any parts.

What height are you though? I'd be concerned it might be too small for me (over 6ft) if it's been designed for Japanese riders?

• Advertisement

What height are you though? I'd be concerned it might be too small for me (over 6ft) if it's been designed for Japanese riders?

;)

Advertisement