Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can someone recommend what bike I should be looking at?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭irlforum

KamiKazi wrote: »
    ;)

D'oh. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I reserve my right to call anybody who hops on a bike/moped without full protective gear on moron. Just as you have the right to be a moron and do it.

I have seen first hand the full repercussions of accidents with full gear and the bare minimum. The large portions of skin that have to be removed from your ass and plastered across your ankle/calf/thigh. The bone, ligaments and muscle that gets stripped away. The constant infections, skin breaks, disgusting scars and holes where muscle should be. The regret that will follow you for the rest of your life.

the ideqa that leathers will save youn is an illusion
    i ride much carefuler in shorts

I haveoften felt you are a member of the garda sicilona
    if you are then thats nice and all that
    if not the i dare you tpo call me a moron to myface
    you'll know me i'm the bloke in shorts

Wossack wrote: »
    sounds like ye should be driving a volvo tbh

this whole gear-nazism seems so against the spirit of biking

i'd thankmyou tywice if i was allowed

Remember one thing. I agree 100% on the ability to head out without any protective gear on, helmet included. Its your choice and you place no real risk to anybody else. But don't think for one second I'm not going to think that on Irish roads with Irish drivers and with Irish hazards there isn't a good chance of taking a spill. And without gear a little spill becomes a life changing accident. And that makes you a moron for doing that to yourself for the sake of 2 minutes to put it on.

go on ther smoking forum and call tghem morons for smoking then come bak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Tigger wrote: »
    Are you wasted or what lad? I think people are just talking about safety. My impression is that some people get serious about their warnings because of the people they've known who've been killed or maimed on these machines we love - but have to respect (a childhood friend among them). Nobody's having a go at you. Take it easy. We're a community but this stuff is serious. The selection seems to be as follows:
    (1) People who talk of riding for years but tell everyone else to avoid bikes - a bit hypocritical but well-meant.
    (2) People just looking for information because (like me) they don't quite know what to make of the risks - I love riding my bike but I actually have fears of waking up one day in a hospital wishing I'd never laid my arse on one just because I loved it.
    (3) People who'll dismiss all risks and react sarcastically to anyone who mentions the old 13/14% statistic, i.e. even though we make up 2% of road users in Ireland, we account for 13.8% of road fatalities (never mind the life-crushing non-fatal injuries). That's a 7-fold relative risk. (I have a background in health research and psychology - many's a visit to the coroner's office in the south).

Get the lessons, buy the right gear, drive like you're invisible, respect the fear.

I hope I never have a serious accident (only one small one so far). I wish the same for absolutely every one of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

the ideqa that leathers will save youn is an illusion
    i ride much carefuler in shorts

I haveoften felt you are a member of the garda sicilona
    if you are then thats nice and all that
    if not the i dare you tpo call me a moron to myface
    you'll know me i'm the bloke in shorts
    i'd thankmyou tywice if i was allowed

Come back to me when your sober. And lose the threats, all it does is imply your in the wrong and to stupid too think of a better argument. But your drunk so I'm willing to ignore it.

Hey again experienced bikers...

Do these seem like decent deals?

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1295544

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1278423

Btw how does the CB400 drive when restricted? Is the power all up in the top end on these?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

irlforum wrote: »
    Hey again experienced bikers...

Do these seem like decent deals?

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1295544

Looks clean enough, aftermarket pillion footpeg on the left side so I'd say it's been down the road at some stage.

Wouldn't even bother looking at it, looks like a heap.
    Btw how does the CB400 drive when restricted? Is the power all up in the top end on these?

Dunno, but they only put out around 45-50HP so the restriction won't be cutting too much power out.

Lads can we quit the squabbling about how much gear to wear, the OP is asking for advice not a bitch fight.

Looks clean enough, aftermarket pillion footpeg on the left side so I'd say it's been down the road at some stage.

Interesting. Didn't realize that carrying pillions would be considered a negative thing. I suppose the small engine bikes aren't really great with the extra weight?

• Advertisement

Interesting. Didn't realize that carrying pillions would be considered a negative thing. I suppose the small engine bikes aren't really great with the extra weight?

No they come with pillion pegs but if you look it's not the original ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Let me step in here for a moment KamiKazi(good spot by the way).

When the bike is dropped/crashed the most damage is caused to the fairings and levers sticking out the side of the bike. By having the footpeg replaced there is a good chance that the bike took a fall and slid on that side.

All the time I've been asking questions since starting this thread I've never really tackled the problem in my head of how "will I test ride a bike if I was to view one? or "what to expect given age" - (....you know......just the usual things I suppose)

I've started checking out lessons in Galway - I was thinking I'd get these anyway but now I think maybe it might be best to do them first on a school bike. Hopefully they will have a CB400 available for learning on. Then when I go to view a CB400 used I hope I'll be in a better position to evaluate it.

This is one website I've come across so far in my local Galway city. http://www.galwaymotorcycleschool.com/

By the way the help given has all been great - thanks very much.

All the time I've been asking questions since starting this thread I've never really tackled the problem in my head of how "will I test ride a bike if I was to view one? or "what to expect given age" - (....you know......just the usual things I suppose)

I've started checking out lessons in Galway - I was thinking I'd get these anyway but now I think maybe it might be best to do them first on a school bike. Hopefully they will have a CB400 available for learning on. Then when I go to view a CB400 used I hope I'll be in a better position to evaluate it.

This is one website I've come across so far in my local Galway city. http://www.galwaymotorcycleschool.com/

By the way the help given has all been great - thanks very much.

Most schools use restricted Suzuki Bandit 600s, pretty much the same proportions to sit on as the CB400 but they are a little bit heavier. So should give you a decent idea of whether you'll be comfortable on it or not.

A post here today has made me think how much I like that VFR400 - how do you think that would suit me regarding my height and spares. I suppose I would have the disadvantage of potential to drop bike with those fairings but the style is reallly nice on those NC30's.

A post here today has made me think how much I like that VFR400 - how do you think that would suit me regarding my height and spares. I suppose I would have the disadvantage of potential to drop bike with those fairings but the style is reallly nice on those NC30's.

You'll look like a giraffe riding a monkey.

You'll look like a giraffe riding a monkey.

Pity. Any other sports bike suitable for me?

Pity. Any other sports bike suitable for me?

600cc sports bikes are a bit bigger, but good luck insuring one on your first provisional.

600cc sports bikes are a bit bigger, but good luck insuring one on your first provisional.

No 400's at all damn. I like the zxr aswell.

How is it that the CB400 is suitable for my height?

No 400's at all damn. I like the zxr aswell.

How is it that the CB400 is suitable for my height?

Only way you'll know for sure is if you get yourself down to a big bike shop and sit on lots of bikes.

• Advertisement

Only way you'll know for sure is if you get yourself down to a big bike shop and sit on lots of bikes.

Ok then. I just think it will be hard to judge what's right when I haven't used a bike before. Never the less I'll give that a go sure.

Ok then. I just think it will be hard to judge what's right when I haven't used a bike before. Never the less I'll give that a go sure.

Never using a bike and not even being able to sit on and look at a bike is even more difficult ;)

Advertisement