Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewiring old connection

• 13-05-2010 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Ok so the last couple of months I've been having terrible trouble with my broadband(see here) and I've been told that there is a lot of noise on my line and most likely it's something in the house causing it. I've had a look at where my phone line comes into the house and basically it looks nothing like anything I can find online. It's been there since the 70s so I reckon it's a bit out of date at this stage.

Here are some pictures of it. The first two are where the phone line comes into the house and into something. The last is where it goes to after that.

Can anyone explain to me what's happening and if that could be causing issues? What would I need to do to make it more modern is it is outdated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Log a fault with Vodafone, who will in turn log it with eircom, and eircom will send an engineer to replace the phone socket.

Once the new socket is in place, connect the modem to that. Have no other connection at all on the line. Then do a line stat check on the modem. See if your stats have improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭seregrail7

I've logged a fault twice already, the best I've gotten out of them is a new router.

Vodafone can't do anything with your line, you need them to log a line fault with eircom. Unfortunately, you can't do this yourself, as you're not an eircom customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭seregrail7

Yeah they've said twice now they logged a fault with Eircom and Eircom said it was all ok without sending out an engineer. I'll ask them if they can send someone out.

Tell them that the main phone socket needs to be replaced. Line rental covers everything up to and including this socket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I'd be 99% sure that its the point of entry into your house that's causing the problem, the plastic connectors can be very dodge, you should have one cable in and one cable out of the junction box, no other connectors or connections on the cable.

The more joints and connections on the cable the worse your signal will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

Try this, you only need 2 wires to say main socket, so at the point of entry take off that conection socket its not needed, then using the blue and white wire join them to the 2 copper wires it does not matter which way round. Then and this is important follow those blue and white wires to main socket to make sure there is nothing in the way, when you get to main socket cut off those other wires, then join the blue and white to terminals 1 and 2 on a wall socket, may say L1 and L2 now plug in your router, no need for filter, get on BB and read stats on your router.

report back.

gb--

ps you can buy those jelly crimps on ebay see here, and you can use them yourself when you want to do a final fix,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-WIRE-TELEPHONE-JELLY-CRIMPS-8A-TELECOM-CONNECTOR-x-25-/280467832031?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_DIY_Material_Electrical_Fittings_MJ&hash=item414d2f7cdf

Advertisement