Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strikeforce:Heavy Artillery May 15th

• 13-05-2010 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

MAIN CARD
    ALISTAIR OVEREEM VS BRETT ROGERS
    ANDREI ARLOVSKI VS ANTONIO SILVA
    "JACARE" SOUZA VS JOEY VILLASENOR
    ROGER GRACIE VS KEVIN RANDLEMAN
    ANTWAIN BRITT VS RAFAEL CAVALCANTE

UNDERCARD
    Jesse Finney vs Justin DeMoney
    Vitor Ribeiro vs Lyle Beerbohm
    Fransisco "Kiko" France vs Lee Brousseau
    Mike Chandler vs Sal Woods
    Tom Aaron vs Erik Steenberg
    Matt Ricehouse vs Greg Wilson
    Booker DeRousse vs Darryl Cobb

TIME
    SATURDAY, MAY 15, 2010 AT 9:00 PM - PRELIMS START AT 6:30 PM - DOORS OPEN AT 6:00 PM

HOW TO WATCH
    LIVE ON SHOWTIME 9PM ET - 6PM PT TICKETS

INFO
    World Heavyweight Champion Alistair "The Demolition Man" Overeem (32-11) will make his highly anticipated return to action against heavy-handed knockout artist Brett "The Grim" Rogers (10-1) in the main event of a STRIKEFORCE mixed martial arts (MMA) extravaganza at Scottrade Center in St. Louis, Mo., on Saturday, May 15. In another heavyweight confrontation, Andrei "The Pitbull" Arlovski (15-7) will clash with Antonio "Big Foot" Silva (13-2).

Since being crowned the first heavyweight champion in STRIKEFORCE history after he caved in Paul "The Headhunter" Buentello with a series of knee strikes in the second round (3:42) at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. on Nov. 16, 2007, the 29-year-old Overeem, of The Netherlands, has been demolishing foes, finishing seven of eight opponents inside of one round. The only bout that did not finish in this fashion was a matchup on Sept. 23, 2008 with MMA legend Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic that was declared a no contest after the 6-foot-5 inch, 260-pound Overeem accidentally struck his opponent with a knee to the groin.

Rogers, a resident of Minneapolis, Minn., who also stands 6-feet-5, and weighs 265 pounds, will attempt to return to his winning ways after an admirable effort against the No. 1 heavyweight in the world - Fedor Emelianenko - in the main event on The CBS television Network on Nov. 7, 2009, from Centre Arena in Hoffman Estates, Ill. on Nov. 7, 2009. The dangerous-hitting Rogers had Emelianenko in trouble in the early going, opening a cut around the eye and putting continuous pressure on the heavily favored Russian. Emelianenko, who has met and defeated nearly every great heavyweight rival of this era, turned the tides on the American in the second round, putting Rogers on the canvas with a series of punches to earn a TKO at the 1:48 mark of the round. Prior to the exciting matchup, Rogers had earned his most impressive victory to date by crushing Arlovski in just 22 seconds with an onslaught of heavy punches at Scottrade Center on June 6, 2009.

The 31-year-old Arlovski's start will be his first since an upset defeat to Rogers. A former UFC heavyweight champion, Arlovski had won five-in-a-row in the UFC before suffering back-to-back losses to Emelianenko and Rogers. The 6-foot-4, 240-pound native of Minsk, Belarus, Arlovski captured the UFC belt on Feb. 5, 2005 by submitting (Achilles lock) Tim Sylvia in 47 seconds.

Also a former world heavyweight champion, the 6-foot-4 inch, 260-pound Silva, of Brazil, initiated a six-fight winning streak with a first round (3:49) TKO (strikes) over dangerous brawler Wesley "Cabbage" Correira in Southaven, Mississippi on Feb. 10, 2007. Silva is unbeaten (4-0) in competition in Japan, winning two fights in K-1 and a pair of bouts in Sengoku. [QUOTE/]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Ive checked bravo for this weekend and it doesnt seem to be showing here. Anybody confirm this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

I heard it might be shown Monday night on Bravo? Not sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Great card but can anyone tell me why Fedor is not fighting Overeem for the title.

I must have missed something somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ceauke

Jayo_M wrote: »

Was hoping for bravo too but nothing on their listings. Let us know if you find it somewhere please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

vangoz wrote: »
    Ive checked bravo for this weekend and it doesnt seem to be showing here. Anybody confirm this?

I checked my cable guide as well and there was no sign of it either.

• Advertisement

It's on Showtime in the States - do Bravo usually get the tape delay for Showtime shows or just the CBS ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

great card, can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Great card but can anyone tell me why Fedor is not fighting Overeem for the title.

I must have missed something somewhere

he has a what ? 3 fight deal with the company , so maybe his last fight is going to be for the title, which leaves him in a more lucrative place to negotiate from? being the champ n all?

OR they have a feeling that his is going to Jump ship soonish and dont want him as the champ.

Overeem could also be a smi dodgey fight for fedor and maybe wants to avoid him?

there's a few theories to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Ryan Roddy

MAIN CARD
    ALISTAIR OVEREEM VS BRETT ROGERS
    ANDREI ARLOVSKI VS ANTONIO SILVA
    "JACARE" SOUZA VS JOEY VILLASENOR
    ROGER GRACIE VS KEVIN RANDLEMAN
    ANTWAIN BRITT VS RAFAEL CAVALCANTE

My picks would be everyone on the left!

Does Roger Gracie have any striking? Looking forward to seeing him against proper top flight in randleman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

vangoz wrote: »
    ceauke wrote: »
    Was hoping for bravo too but nothing on their listings. Let us know if you find it somewhere please.
    JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I checked my cable guide as well and there was no sign of it either.
    It's on Showtime in the States - do Bravo usually get the tape delay for Showtime shows or just the CBS ones?

It is on Bravo 2 at 10pm on Monday
    Digiguide wrote:
    SPORT: Strikeforce
    On: Bravo 2
    Date: Monday 17th May 2010 (starting in 3 days)
    Time: 22:00 to 00:00 (2 hours long)

Explosive mixed martial arts action from the other side of the Atlantic featuring some of the most brutal fighters in the world. Alistair 'The Demolition Man' Overeem takes on knockout artist Brett 'The Grim' Rogers in the main event.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=53031

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Does Roger Gracie have any striking? Looking forward to seeing him against proper top flight in randleman.
    Who needs a backhand when your forehand is so good :). I'd say he's been doing some but you know what the best grappler in the world is going to try to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

but you know what the best grappler in the world is going to try to do.

Overhand right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Ryan Roddy wrote: »
    My picks would be everyone on the left!

ive done a single on rodgers purely because 12/5 looks too big imo.

if it goes past the first round overeem will probably take it though
    but before that anything can happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

mailburner wrote: »
    ive done a single on rodgers purely because 12/5 looks too big imo.

if it goes past the first round overeem will probably take it though
    but before that anything can happen

Really?

I'd have said the opposite, the longer the fight goes, the greater the chance of Rogers KO'ing Ubereem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Really?

I'd have said the opposite, the longer the fight goes, the greater the chance of Rogers KO'ing Ubereem.

you're probably right considering both rarely go past the first round.
    im just thinking in terms of who overeem has fought in comparison i guess although its a while since he fought a top guy

Rogers has fought the better opponents recently too I think.

Rogers - Fedor(albeit a loss) and Arlovski
    Overeem - Fujita and James Thompson.

Most of the Overeem hype is coming from(justifibly I feel) his run in K-1, he is undoubtedly the technically sounder and more explosive of he two, but I dont think his lungs have the capacity to power his new bulk over 3 rds of mma.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Might stay up and watch this, not a bad card.
    Arlovski was the first MMA fighter I really followed so it's always good to see him, even though his jaw is made of porcelain.

He was great in the Universal Soldier movie though, so maybe that's where his future lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Looking forward to Arlovski fight needs to win convincingly. Overeem is the technically superior striker but his chin is suspect so Rogers has a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Most of the Overeem hype is coming from(justifibly I feel) his run in K-1, he is undoubtedly the technically sounder and more explosive of he two, but I dont think his lungs have the capacity to power his new bulk over 3 rds of mma.

his K1 record is 6-4 vs 32-11 mma :confused:

• Advertisement

But just look at the quality of wins and competition in those K-1 fights and compare it to the competition he's faced at heavyweight in MMA.

Still, Overeem via whatever he wants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Rogers gave Fedor problems, yet Overeem went through the Rogers.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Ryan Roddy

rovert wrote: »

Overeem vs fedor is much more interesting now, but still fedor by ko, just because he is Fedor :)

It's the Fedor effect, most guys he finishes are never the same again!

It's the Fedor effect, most guys he finishes are never the same again!

Nope, Anderi is still BORING

I like Andrei. He's had some great performances and I love watching him fight. Tonight though, I don't know, strange how his boxing seems to have gone down hill since he's made it his primary focus. Still hope to see him back again soon, wouldn't be surprised if there's a Rogers/Arlovski II. Big Foot looked great tonight, so much quicker than I've ever seen him before.

in fairness if that is that state of the HW division in SF then i dont see anyone givin fedor much trouble

Wow Rogers made "Ubereem" look small :eek:

Love to see Overeem Vs Fedor for sure.

TechnoPool wrote: »
    in fairness if that is that state of the HW division in SF then i dont see anyone givin fedor much trouble

You don't think Overeem would be a dangerous opponent for Fedor? I think he's the biggest threat to Fedor in MMA right now. In my opinion, Overeem is more complete than any other heavyweight, besides Fedor, in the sport at the moment.

• Advertisement

You don't think Overeem would be a dangerous opponent for Fedor? I think he's the biggest threat to Fedor in MMA right now. In my opinion, Overeem is more complete than any other heavyweight, besides Fedor, in the sport at the moment.

No i dont really, at all, but hey thats just my opinion :D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Arlovski looked very listless, don't know what happened to him.

Even after he lost to Slyvia he went 5 for 5 before being cut from the UFC, then he came close to stopping Fedor. TBH, I don't blame him for going for the flying knee in that fight. He had Fedor reeling and would have been an alltime legend if it connected.

Guess he lost his heart after that. As I said, he should look for a movie career now.

jayteecork wrote: »
    Even after he lost to Slyvia he went 5 for 5 before being cut from the UFC, then he came close to stopping Fedor. TBH, I don't blame him for going for the flying knee in that fight. He had Fedor reeling and would have been an alltime legend if it connected.

???

Have to stop you there, he threw plenty shots, some of which appeared to rock fedor(I thought they did at the time) but they werent even connecting. Observe:

1469FE09497E74C804E14F
    Fedor slips inside

153BC40D497E6C7A0F152D
    Slips again.

2zqeuli.jpg
    This shot gets parried.

Then THIS happened:
    8zkzm1.gif

Andrei looked good, but he landed nothing of note and got KTFO within 4min, not exactly a near finish lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

mmath doesnt work... i really hope you where being sarcastic

mmath doesnt work... i really hope you where being sarcastic

Im not.

Just that everyone talked Rogers up huge before and after the Fedor fight, now look at him. Doesnt speak much for Fedor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Im not.

Just that everyone talked Rogers up huge before and after the Fedor fight, now look at him. Doesnt speak much for Fedor.

He breaks fighters, that's enough for most.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Im not.

I'd reckon Rodgers would be in the top 10 for HWs outside the UFC, not sure if he'd be in the top 10 if you included UFC fighters.

He's just been beating by the two best guys in HW in my opinion right now, Fedor and Overeem.

On one hand I think it will be a great fight between fedor and overeem. However, i've some reservations. What if fedor beats him and Overeem's career takes a noes dive like so many other fighters? It makes the likelihood of Overeem going to UFC and cleaning up more remote. If Overeem crushes fedor, Fedor's god like status will be lost and I'd be upset :). Right now, if it looks like the Overeem Fedor fgiht isn't going to happen, i want Alistair to go to UFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭YamaMotoYama

Overeem looks fantastic but I'd be worried for him if he got a lump like Brock lying on him. I know his ground game is very good, but Saturday wasn't a good test... Rogers played right into his hands trying to stand and bang with him.

I'd reckon Rodgers would be in the top 10 for HWs outside the UFC, not sure if he'd be in the top 10 if you included UFC fighters.

He's just been beating by the two best guys in HW in my opinion right now, Fedor and Overeem.

On one hand I think it will be a great fight between fedor and overeem. However, i've some reservations. What if fedor beats him and Overeem's career takes a noes dive like so many other fighters? It makes the likelihood of Overeem going to UFC and cleaning up more remote. If Overeem crushes fedor, Fedor's god like status will be lost and I'd be upset :). Right now, if it looks like the Overeem Fedor fgiht isn't going to happen, i want Alistair to go to UFC.

well if he did lose, it would be one loss from all the scalps he's taken i woudnt be looking at him any less if he lost 1 fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Overeem is a beast. Still think Fedor would beat him but my heart would be in my mouth the whole fight.

Looking forward to watching the rest of it tonight. Is it definately on Bravo2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Kazooie wrote: »
    Is it definately on Bravo2?

It is. 10 pm. Just set my box to record.

• Advertisement

I was very impressed with Roger Gracie. He controlled the whole fight with Randleman

Overeem also did a great job and match with Fedor is now a must see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Overeem also did a great job and match with Fedor is now a must see.

I could see Fedor's poxy management taking that the way of Mayweather vs Pacquiao though. They already questioned Overeem's "physique" and demanded proper blood testing before Fedor would fight him. The fact that Overeem's first US appearance in 2 years took place in a State without full drug testing will no doubt leave room for them to complain.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I could see Fedor's poxy management taking that the way of Mayweather vs Pacquiao though. They already questioned Overeem's "physique" and demanded proper blood testing before Fedor would fight him. The fact that Overeem's first US appearance in 2 years took place in a State without full drug testing will no doubt leave room for them to complain.

Remember when Overeem was actually in Dublin for UFC 93 (how could you miss the dude!) he was going to sign until word came from the states that his pre-contract blood test came back radioactive killing the deal? Talk of red tape and stall tactics aside. Fedor's management would be right to ask for drug testing in this instance in my book anyway.

Remember when Overeem was actually in Dublin for UFC 93 (how could you miss the dude!) he was going to sign until word came from the states that his pre-contract blood test came back radioactive killing the deal? Talk of red tape and stall tactics aside. Fedor's management would be right to ask for drug testing in this instance in my book anyway.

He's definately not as big as he looked a year ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

calex71 wrote: »
    He's definately not as big as he looked a year ago.
    Definitely.In the Hari fight at Dynamite 2008 he was Mecha-Ubereem. Now hes just Ubereem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Talk of red tape and stall tactics aside. Fedor's management would be right to ask for drug testing in this instance in my book anyway.

True, but I also thinkg that Finkelstein & co will throw any roadblocks they can find in the way of this deal if they feel Overeem could be a threat.

Advertisement