Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

otter or seal in liffey?

Options
  • 13-05-2010 3:15pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭

While walking over the Sean O'Casey bridge at lunch time I spotted what looked like a small grey seal or snuggled up to one of the huge white pipes,originally I thoguht it was an otter but not sure!
    Anyone else see him?
    Know what it was?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Moonbeam wrote: »
    While walking over the Sean O'Casey bridge at lunch time I spotted what looked like a small grey seal or snuggled up to one of the huge white pipes,originally I thoguht it was an otter but not sure!
    Anyone else see him?
    Know what it was?

probably a small grey seal.

theres a good load of seals in Dublin bay and they probably come up the liffey the odd time for de buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Ah yes, I've seen a few seals in the liffey over the years. They're so cute, it always makes me smile for days when I see one happily swimming away!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

crossing the bridge at Heuston station on the Luas a while ago, I got a quick glimpse of what I assumed was an Otter. Only a brief glimpse so couldn't be certain of what it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It was probably a Rat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

At about 13:30 he was at the other bridge sitting on the floating barriers..

It was a gray seal pup..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

WindSock wrote: »
    It was probably a Rat ;)

or a brown trout;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Its there most days and likes to lie on its back in the sun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

There was one last week(probably same fella) in Grand Canal Dock where Hanover Quay is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

theres a good load of seals in Dublin bay and they probably come up the liffey the odd time for de buzz

Hopefully not to go clubbing?

Seriously though: that's mad. I had no idea seals could come up river?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

if we started getting a few more we go do like the faroese

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭stevensi

I often see seals swiming up along the river in fact up as far as Heuston Station. I've also seen an otter in the liffey again by Heuston Station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Anyone else see him?
    Know what it was?

Its more than likely a seal making its way up towards the boardwalk for his daily fix. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 31 johnnyfardel

I used to live in the Riverpark apartments in Islandbridge
    and used to spot seals in the river occasionally.

I was sitting on my balcony nursing a broken leg in the
    sunshine one day and one stayed there giving me the hairy
    eyeball for about 30 minutes....

Advertisement