Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renting a room

Options
  • 13-05-2010 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I am renting a room out in my house, and the tenant moved in the other evening. He asked me if he could get a TV put up in his room which is no problem, he is going to get the TV at the weekend.

I have SKY + and no outdoor arerial so he asked about getting multiroom viewing. I have checked with SKY and I have to pay for an additional SKY box which is free for the standard and €199 for an extra SKY + box. There will also be an additional charge on the SKY bill each month.

My query is do I have to pay for the connect that goes in his room and also for the SKY box ? I don't have any of the movie or sports stations as I don't watch these if he wants them charge him the extra charges these cost?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

ktk wrote: »
    I am renting a room out in my house, and the tenant moved in the other evening. He asked me if he could get a TV put up in his room which is no problem, he is going to get the TV at the weekend.

I have SKY + and no outdoor arerial so he asked about getting multiroom viewing. I have checked with SKY and I have to pay for an additional SKY box which is free for the standard and €199 for an extra SKY + box. There will also be an additional charge on the SKY bill each month.

My query is do I have to pay for the connect that goes in his room and also for the SKY box ? I don't have any of the movie or sports stations as I don't watch these if he wants them charge him the extra charges these cost?

thanks.

I'd imagine he needs to pay whatever extra is added onto your bill plus half the original bill

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

if he wants something that you werent offering then he has to pay for it.

so any additional cost he should be paying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

He is the one who wants the box in his bedroom so in my opinion he should pay for it - also when bill comes in he should pay the multiroom charge and then ye would split the normal sky bill -
    check out terms before you agree to anything - i dont have sky so i dont know if you can cancel multiroom at any stage but if there is a minimum contract on it and he moves out before its up your left paying for it -

messrs wrote: »
    check out terms before you agree to anything - i dont have sky so i dont know if you can cancel multiroom at any stage but if there is a minimum contract on it and he moves out before its up your left paying for it -

I would make it clear to him that if there is a min contract period and he moves out beforehand that remainder due to Sky will be deducted from his deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 ktk

I have written up a contract stating that he needs to pay for any electrial equipment in the room and the installation of sky multiroom viewing. Hopefully he'll sign it.

I wasn't offer the room with a TV in it or any SKY connection, it is him who asked me to have it installed for him so hopefully he won't have a problem paying it. If he does refuse to pay for it I guess I'll cross that bridge when i come to it!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Personally I would pay for the box, and have him pay for the multi-room rental. However, if he takes the box with him when he leaves the cost of a new one would come out of the deposit. I would do it this way, as it would then be available for future potential tenants. Just my two cents, and am currently in the same boat, as my cable provider have gone into liquidation, so need to set something up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

I wouldn't rule out contributing something towards the cost. Don't forget that if the tenant has a tv in the room then as likely as not you'll have the sitting room to yourself in the evening and will avoid missing tv programs etc. It'll remove possible clashes. I think it's reasonable to expect them to met the extra cost of the multi-room viewing monthly cost as it wasn't an initial expectation.

However, maybe offer to meet the cost of the extra box installation. It'll run to your advantage as you won't have to share viewing rights of the tv.

I had someone come today to look about getting the multiroom and as I don't have a landline it is not possible to get but can get a seperate box and which would amount to €28 a month. As I wouldn't be watching the TV I presume it would be up to the tenant to pay this. I contacted him to let him know that as I have no landline it wouldn't be possible to get multiroom. He said he didn't think he'd watch that much TV and would think about it.

The TV he got was a 32 inch TV and its a partition wall into a bathroom he wants to put the TV on which I don't want to do incase the TV is too heavy for the wall and I am left with damage done to it.

The house ad didn't state that I had a landline so hopefully he won't come back and say that it should and also I don't want the added expense of getting a landline as I wouldn't use it.

Ah the stress of having a tenant!!! The last one was so easy going we just both watched the same TV!!

its your wall its your call. Personally speaking I wouldnt be letting somebody mount a tv on my wall regardless of it being a partition wall or not

I didn't really want him putting the TV on the wall so he asked me to did I have a chest of drawers he could have and I said no. Kinda got the impression he was asking me to buy one anyway gave him a high table to put it on.

• Advertisement

Sorry just wondering now if he decides to move out over not being able to get SKY multiroom viewing (and I guess this is a hypothetical question) he has signed a 12 month lease do I have to return the deposit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Sorry just wondering now if he decides to move out over not being able to get SKY multiroom viewing (and I guess this is a hypothetical question) he has signed a 12 month lease do I have to return the deposit?
    Once its not mentioned in the lease that the contract is subject to availablity of sky then you would be able to retain the deposit and pursue him for the remaining rent.

As you advised that this was a rent a room scheme with a resident landlord, the lease is exempt from the PTRB and all usual rental contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

thanks.
    you are providing sky, which you do not have to do, if he wants the extra sky in his room, then i would ask him/ her to foot that bill, as i know that when renting you have to pay for sky if you want it, no rent out gives this free, and if they do give sky, they include this in the rent

Thanks, just want to double check as this the first time a tenant wanted me to have SKY installed in their room, I have it in the sitting room and TV in my room but it is connect to the sitting room sky (i.e. same programmes have to be watched on both TV). He wants to be able to watch seperate TV programmes.

The lease he signed is a 12 month lease and I have stated in it that "the tenant pay for the installation of any electrical equipment in ssaid room and the installation of Sky Mutiroom Viewing".

added it to cover myself as I don't want to be stuck paying for it if he moves out before the lease period is up.

thanks.

Thanks, just want to double check as this the first time a tenant wanted me to have SKY installed in their room, I have it in the sitting room and TV in my room but it is connect to the sitting room sky (i.e. same programmes have to be watched on both TV). He wants to be able to watch seperate TV programmes.

The lease he signed is a 12 month lease and I have stated in it that "the tenant pay for the installation of any electrical equipment in ssaid room and the installation of Sky Mutiroom Viewing".

added it to cover myself as I don't want to be stuck paying for it if he moves out before the lease period is up.

thanks.
    dont dare to get a landline in your home, as that would be extra bills, no need when you have mobile phone, no rent out gives landlines anyway
    if he/she want broadband, they can get the G3 mobile broadband or other such like, and that would be their problem

Oh he hasn't asked for internet connect but just that with the SKY multiroom its needs a landline and don't worry have no intentions of getting it. Have internet at work!! and have a mobile so don't really need it when I get home from work.

Anyway have told him that if he wants to get seperate SKY it will cost him the €28.00 a month and he said he'd think about it, secretly hope he does as I don't think he'll be interested in watching the same programmes as me and also he just brought a 32 inch flat screen for his room and the TV in my sitting room is a really old one as I'm not that interested in paying lots for a flatscreen at the moment.

Thanks for you replies.

Oh he hasn't asked for internet connect but just that with the SKY multiroom its needs a landline and don't worry have no intentions of getting it. Have internet at work!! and have a mobile so don't really need it when I get home from work.

Anyway have told him that if he wants to get seperate SKY it will cost him the €28.00 a month and he said he'd think about it, secretly hope he does as I don't think he'll be interested in watching the same programmes as me and also he just brought a 32 inch flat screen for his room and the TV in my sitting room is a really old one as I'm not that interested in paying lots for a flatscreen at the moment.

Thanks for you replies.
    the tv i am watching is 12 yrs old 22 inch and it does fine, dont worry good luck

Everyone seems to have flatscreens and LCD TV nows!!

Hey if I win the Lotto I won't need the tenant!!

Everyone seems to have flatscreens and LCD TV nows!!

Hey if I win the Lotto I won't need the tenant!!
    nor you wont need that fandangle of a flatscreen tv either,
    no keeping up with the jonses here

Thanks for the advice - I mentioned the cost to him again last night and reiterated I would not be paying for it. he said something about getting some box that you attach to the TV (?) and it gives out about 100 stations and that its a once off payment, don't know anything about this nor have I ever heard of one but if wants to go ahead and get that and install it its up to him but don't want any damage done to my room in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Thanks for the advice - I mentioned the cost to him again last night and reiterated I would not be paying for it. he said something about getting some box that you attach to the TV (?) and it gives out about 100 stations and that its a once off payment, don't know anything about this nor have I ever heard of one but if wants to go ahead and get that and install it its up to him but don't want any damage done to my room in the process.

He is prob taking about something like a freeview box which picks up free-to-air services on the Digital Terrestrial Television - we have it here in London and it's pretty good thought reception can come and go at certain points of the day. It's a UK based so depending were you are based he may not be able to pick up transmission. From what I understand RTE have started testing it and are meant to be launching full service in November of this year so you should get the 4 Irish channels but can't say for sure if you'll pick up the signal for the UK ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

wont be any damage done to your rooom - its one of those free to air boxes - last place i seen them been sold was in market on Thomas street - cost anything from €200 - €250 - and whatever tv its plugged into gets the channels

Does it work even if I don't have an aeriel - I only have a SKY dish?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Does it work even if I don't have an aeriel - I only have a SKY dish?

yes you need an aeriel for a free view box to work....you can pick up an indoor aeriel from argos but again can't say if it will be strong enough to pick anything with the box. Someone with a bit more tech know how might be able to say.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

ztoical wrote: »
    yes you need an aeriel for a free view box to work....you can pick up an indoor aeriel from argos but again can't say if it will be strong enough to pick anything with the box. Someone with a bit more tech know how might be able to say.

Highly Unlikely that he'll Pick up Freeview without a house Aerial, unless your right beside the border

ah I can see this turning into a nightmare just because he wants a TV in his room!

ah I can see this turning into a nightmare just because he wants a TV in his room!

So can i mate so maybe you should sit down and talk to him and be clear from the start and have no confusion or falling out????

Thankfully I have done that already, told him I don't have an outdoor aeriel and that I only have the sky dish. Also he has signed a contract now and I have told him that I won't be getting a landline and he knew this when he moved in.

My last flatmate was a girl and it was great I guess we liked the same programmes and not that I watch a whole load of TV I still like to be able to watch some junk on it!

Thankfully I have done that already, told him I don't have an outdoor aeriel and that I only have the sky dish. Also he has signed a contract now and I have told him that I won't be getting a landline and he knew this when he moved in.

My last flatmate was a girl and it was great I guess we liked the same programmes and not that I watch a whole load of TV I still like to be able to watch some junk on it!

Fair play.... Good Luck to you so.... Hope it goes well.... Looks like you've done all you can

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I must say u seem to be a Great Landlord, i think your going too much out of your way for the tenant actually.

Advertisement