Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M Sc. in Marketing, Consumption and Society in UL

Options
  • 13-05-2010 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hey, just wondering if anyone out there has done this Masters, or knows someone who has? Any information on how you found it, and what the job prospects are once you've completed it, would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

I believe 2008-09 was the first year this ran - or maybe I'm mistaken, not sure. Anyhow, a mate from home did this course finishing in Sept 2009, and at the same time I was doing the MSc in Markting in DIT. I have to say that while some modules were similar, I could tell just by talking to her that the DIT course was harder, more rounded and crucially, included online marketing as a module.

I also read some of her work during the year, and as I said to her at the time, I have no idea how she got 2.1 in some of her assingments - marking standards seemed lower - especially when it came to dissertation. The standard of statistical analysis that my supervisor expected was so far beyond what she had to do. She got a 2.1 with frequencies and crosstabs for god sakes :mad: Still makes me mad!

Anyhow, just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Roro4Brit wrote: »
    I believe 2008-09 was the first year this ran - or maybe I'm mistaken, not sure. Anyhow, a mate from home did this course finishing in Sept 2009, and at the same time I was doing the MSc in Markting in DIT. I have to say that while some modules were similar, I could tell just by talking to her that the DIT course was harder, more rounded and crucially, included online marketing as a module.

I also read some of her work during the year, and as I said to her at the time, I have no idea how she got 2.1 in some of her assingments - marking standards seemed lower - especially when it came to dissertation. The standard of statistical analysis that my supervisor expected was so far beyond what she had to do. She got a 2.1 with frequencies and crosstabs for god sakes :mad: Still makes me mad!

Anyhow, just my 2c.

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but I've recently been offered a place on both of these courses (UL and DIT) and am trying to decide between the two.

Is there anything more you could add about your experience with the course in DIT? The workload (I come from a pretty intensive undergrad so a high workload wouldn't bother me)? The facilities available? Are the lecturers sound so to speak? What the graduates have gone on to do? Have any that you know of gone into the marketing/promotion side of sport which is something I would like to do? A lot of presentations/projects? Or more exam based? Anything at all that you could think of really would be of a help if you don't mind.

From the interview I had with the directors in UL I know it's a relatively new course, where most so far seem to have have gone into advertising. They also offer two internships with Saatchi and Saatchi each year. Limerick would be closer to me (I'm from Kerry) but I have a lot of friends in Dublin so I would be happy in either area to be honest.

I've just under two weeks to make a decision and put down my deposit (I actually may end up deferring for a year due to finances but that's another topic.)

Advertisement