Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a website??

Options
  • 13-05-2010 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,

I want to setup a website for myself and would like some advice on how to do this. ie, domain, hosting and an easy to use application to create, load and maintain the site. basically looking for an idiots guide!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Moved from development.

You need a content management system to manage the site, something like wordpress or CMS made simple would do, being open source they're also free. If this is a business website I'd recommend getting a designer to put the site together for you.

What is the purpose of the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Wordpress would be the job tbh. You can purchase a domain name and some hosting and install it in few minutes. Then you can apply a free theme or get a theme custom designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dwsl280

It is for a business, just want a front page to start with, with contact details and a bit of information about the company and services. It's small enough at the moment and just don't have the funds to have someone design and maintain it for me at the moment. I would like to learn how to do it myself so I can expand it in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

using an opensource cms is proberly your option to avoid html, css or php coding and this would make it easier. Joomla is a powerful script and wp is great for beginners which is what you should start off with!, this is how:
    1, register ie name (letshost.ie is cheapest), der could be a restrictions where u may need a cro no.
    2. link your dns with your host where u get one from digiweb competition therd for free
    3. upload wordpress pack and install or install with a,hosts,pre installe
    4. upload the theme with wp.
    5. use cms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

What's the website for? Wordpress may be the way to go, but if you tell us why you want a website, what you hope to achieve, what your skill level is, this will help us advise more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

So it's OK to buy your domain name from Lets Host and then host with Digiweb?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

Yep.. just change the dns settings to digiwebs and add as an additional domain name in the sphere/cpanel control panel.. it's pretty easy and if you need any help doing that im sure someone here can help u...

Advertisement