Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inferno 10

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

To be honest speaking with the community I think the majority would rather a regular Inferno competition than Evo next weekend.

In my opinion the Evo qualifer should be canned and put on the back burner to next year. Or else we should do a qualifer for another event thats coming up this year but with more in depth planning and time to plan it out. The event should be run by the community as well not just left to one person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I will bow to the wishes of the community at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Wth SVB coming up and with a lot of the community planning to go, why not run a tourney pretty much on par with Evo quals but do it for SVB? Would cost less and would also be a lot, lot more practical imo. Winner gets free tickets and registration to SVB (couldn't come to more than 100 euro)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Ramza wrote: »
    Wth SVB coming up and with a lot of the community planning to go, why not run a tourney pretty much on par with Evo quals but do it for SVB? Would cost less and would also be a lot, lot more practical imo. Winner gets free tickets and registration to SVB (couldn't come to more than 100 euro)

Good suggestion Ramza. But it seems that we already have a seeded "slot" at evo so i'm not sure if that would transfer to SVB.

Also, chopper and Orim, i really think inferno 10 should be on this coming weekend. See other thread. The last thing we need is two bad weekends in a row

animaX wrote: »
    Good suggestion Ramza. But it seems that we already have a seeded "slot" at evo so i'm not sure if that would transfer to SVB.

Also, chopper and Orim, i really think inferno 10 should be on this coming weekend. See other thread. The last thing we need is two bad weekends in a row

There will a tournament this weekend. I will guarantee that if one person comes to the XGC next Saturday, they will be declared a tournament winner.

I believe what's best for everyone is what Azza said, run a regular Inferno with the regular prize set-up and leave a large-scale qualifier on the back-burner for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

In IRC the other day I suggested that if someone didn't want the trip to Evo (due to being unable to afford or any other reason) and ended up winning the tournament, they should just let the prize go to the next best placed finisher that can/does want to go.

I travel up to Belfast for every DS Street Fighter event I can and there is no prize money on offer at all, so I guess I just find it hard to understand the reasoning of not attending a comp just because there won't be a cash prize, or you don't want the prize on offer.

I mean free flights to Las Vegas and a seeded entry to Evo is a damn good prize.

If we do go with Inferno next week, but just let the winner choose between the cash prize or the Evo ticket, would people be willing to pay €20 entry to help cover the costs?

In IRC the other day I suggested that if someone didn't want the trip to Evo (due to being unable to afford or any other reason) and ended up winning the tournament, they should just let the prize go to the next best placed finisher that can/does want to go.

I travel up to Belfast for every DS Street Fighter event I can and there is no prize money on offer at all, so I guess I just find it hard to understand the reasoning of not attending a comp just because there won't be a cash prize, or you don't want the prize on offer.

I mean free flights to Las Vegas and a seeded entry to Evo is a damn good prize.

If we do go with Inferno next week, but just let the winner choose between the cash prize or the Evo ticket, would people be willing to pay €20 entry to help cover the costs?

Exactly, I made the same point in the other thread.

Can we afford to give the winner the choice of a prize pot and give the next best finisher the evo ticket?! Surely not, even with 20 euro entry.

I guess people might think that there's no incentive in winning otherwise but is winning an inferno not incentive enough :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Why not have the evo thing in 2 weeks?

Bush80 wrote: »

Because nobody will show up again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Bush80 wrote: »

Evo is in early July. If we keep putting the date back, then flights will keep getting more expensive and they are already quite expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Azza wrote: »
    To be honest speaking with the community I think the majority would rather a regular Inferno competition than Evo next weekend.

In my opinion the Evo qualifer should be canned and put on the back burner to next year. Or else we should do a qualifer for another event thats coming up this year but with more in depth planning and time to plan it out. The event should be run by the community as well not just left to one person.

Agreed with this

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Is there lag on the screens in the XCG (as stated in another thread)? If so, how bad is it?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Is there lag on the screens in the XCG (as stated in another thread)? If so, how bad is it?

Yes there is lag.

We try to avoid the bad machines.

The best solution though would be to play as many games as possible on the PS3s as they feel much better to me. The tvs themselves are sony on the PS3s.

Yes there is lag.

The best solution though would be to play as many games as possible on the PS3s as they feel much better to me. The tvs themselves are sony on the PS3s.

OK just to be clear...is there any XBOXs that are usable at all? If we are playing alot on the PS3s, do we just use PS3 sticks or something. Sorry for the noob questions. I'd like to be able to use my own stick which is for XBox

OK just to be clear...is there any XBOXs that are usable at all? If we are playing alot on the PS3s, do we just use PS3 sticks or something. Sorry for the noob questions. I'd like to be able to use my own stick which is for XBox

Yeah we're usually 50/50, xbox and PS3. It's not unusual for someone to request one of the other.

There's usually plenty of sticks floating around. As long as you don't throw them round the place people are usually pretty good about sharing (I think Tin didn't have his own stick at any event!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Yes there is lag.

I object...... Wireless controller I have for Ps3 is laggy aswell. XBOX FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

you'll be grand on the xboxes

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    you'll be grand on the xboxes

I never object to playing on them myself.

What we haven't tried is to use an xbox VGA cable on the tvs in xgc. According to this thread the VGA cable might eliminate postprocessing and reduce the lag. I'll be bringing my cable on saturday and we can test it.

I personally prefer to play on the PS3. I do find the the lag on the Xbox 360's at the XGC to be awful, worse than online.

However same handicap applies to both players and I do use the Xbox 360's out of convience.

Could try the VGA cable as the lads suggested and if that works, that would be great.

• Advertisement

I personally prefer to play on the PS3. I do find the the lag on the Xbox 360's at the XGC to be awful, worse than online.

However same handicap applies to both players and I do use the Xbox 360's out of convience.

Could try the VGA cable as the lads suggested and if that works, that would be great.

What? I must be missing something. How can a signal from an xbox to a tv screen 2 foot away be worse than online? Apologies, but I have never heard of lag from a tv screen? :confused:

The response time of the TV's is just too high. Lag online is variable, but if you say have a full green connection to your opponent online its better than the Xbox screens at the XGC. Of course lag online can be eratic and you can get lag spikes and if you don't have a full green conenction online it can be alot worse online.

What? I must be missing something. How can a signal from an xbox to a tv screen 2 foot away be worse than online? Apologies, but I have never heard of lag from a tv screen? :confused:

Have you ever heard of a tv brand called Walker?! :pac:
    In any case, unless you're hitting consistent one-frame links you probably wont notice it.

Azza, you can be the first to test out the direct VGA connection on saturday since you seem to have a keen eye for this kind of thing.

Its more obvious than 1 frame links.

For example against your T.Hawk last Saturday. Several times I blocked a condor dive and the natural response from Bison is to roundhouse Hawk during his recovery stage. This isn't a tight window, its large window and very easy to do. Yet I missed it multipal times last Saturday.

Its more obvious than 1 frame links.

For example against your T.Hawk last Saturday. Several times I blocked a condor dive and the natural response from Bison is to roundhouse Hawk during his recovery stage. This isn't a tight window, its large window and very easy to do. Yet I missed it multipal times last Saturday.

I think it's as simple as Azza not being particularly good at fighting games :pac:

Could be.

Just coz i was pwning you with Hawk ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=174085
    Why do games lag on HDTVs?

There are two different reasons for this, and either one or both can contribute to the overall delay on an HDTV.

A] Scaling/Deinterlacing: The HDTV is fed a signal different from its native resolution. The HDTV experiences a processing delay while scaling the signal (example: 480i signal from PS2 to 1080p HDTV).
    B] Postprocessing: Postprocessing consists of additional features on HDTVs to clean up or "improve" the visual picture quality of images (example: 1080p signal from PS3 to 1080p Samsung HDTV still has lag).

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cobelcog

I just realised something...

Shouldn't this be Inferno 9? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

No? We had inferno 9 , was the last SFIV one we had.

Advertisement