Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Tom Townlands

• 13-05-2010 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I cant beleive it I bought a Tom Tom 4 years ago for my dad who passed away shorthly after i gave it to him. The maps were missing townlandsthen. I bought a new Tom Tom last week and was shocked to find that townlands are still not in the maps.
    This thing is a piece of crap without townlands - any advice or are we ever going to get townlands?? Argus will not take the product back
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

What map version is on the device you bought?
    Have you updated the map using TomToms latest map guarantee?
    As far as I remember the Townlads would show up in searches but not in browse map.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tcryan18

I downloaded the latest maps the other day (TomTom XL IQ Routes Europe) I have tried serching my local townlands and 90% are not there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

tcryan18 wrote: »
    I downloaded the latest maps the other day (TomTom XL IQ Routes Europe) I have tried serching my local townlands and 90% are not there.

It's always been like that since TT switched to using Teleatlas. Navteq maps are much more detailed in rural Ireland and unfortunately TT now own teleatlas so no prospect of Navteq returning to TT in the future. I have a Navigon 7310 which uses Navteq maps which are much better than my old TT, unfortunately the routing on the Navigon is woeful:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mailforkev

It's just another reason we should have a postcode system. I presume the map providers will just hold out until this happens due to the sheer amount of places they need to map without them in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tcryan18

Thanks all for your replies it seems like I should just have bought a new navteq map for my old Sony but in saying that the TomTom is more friendly to use the sony was a pain to use 2 slow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Can I ask your local area & what you searched for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

I cant beleive it I bought a Tom Tom 4 years ago for my dad who passed away shorthly after i gave it to him. The maps were missing townlandsthen. I bought a new Tom Tom last week and was shocked to find that townlands are still not in the maps.
    This thing is a piece of crap without townlands - any advice or are we ever going to get townlands?? Argus will not take the product back

I know this is an old thread, however....
    Twelve months on and this is still the case. I finally got my old TT Go 720 working again and updated to the latest map - largely because apparently "the townlands show up in searches" - and guss what? No they don't - still the vast majority of townlands are missing. It's exactly the same on the tomtom online route planner - if they're not on the map they don't show in the search either. Tomtom is still the best for getting you to a place by the shortest route, but if it aint on the map you can't get there. And saying "map providers will just hold out until this (postcodes) happens due to the sheer amount of places they need to map" isn't quite right because these places are already mapped and appear on other teleatlas maps (see google maps), and they are on all the navteq maps too, it's just that tomtom can't be bothered to include them.

As far as I can see it shows one or two townlands on the edge of a town / village and that's it. The rest of the country apparently doesn't exist. A lot of the townlands shown are in the wrong place or larger than reality. Also some of the roads, particularly cross roads are completely wrong. Mapshare shouldn't be for this, it's for adjusting errors not for wholesale omissions that should just have been included from the start.

I can't believe I actually paid for an upgrade again:mad:

Lucky I have my Navigon which has brilliant maps with all the townlands but terrible routing, alongside my tomtom with terrible maps and great routing. Pity I can't mix and match between them:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

mossie wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread, however....
    Twelve months on and this is still the case. I finally got my old TT Go 720 working again and updated to the latest map - largely because apparently "the townlands show up in searches" - and guss what? No they don't - still the vast majority of townlands are missing. It's exactly the same on the tomtom online route planner - if they're not on the map they don't show in the search either. Tomtom is still the best for getting you to a place by the shortest route, but if it aint on the map you can't get there. And saying "map providers will just hold out until this (postcodes) happens due to the sheer amount of places they need to map" isn't quite right because these places are already mapped and appear on other teleatlas maps (see google maps), and they are on all the navteq maps too, it's just that tomtom can't be bothered to include them.

As far as I can see it shows one or two townlands on the edge of a town / village and that's it. The rest of the country apparently doesn't exist. A lot of the townlands shown are in the wrong place or larger than reality. Also some of the roads, particularly cross roads are completely wrong. Mapshare shouldn't be for this, it's for adjusting errors not for wholesale omissions that should just have been included from the start.

I can't believe I actually paid for an upgrade again:mad:

Lucky I have my Navigon which has brilliant maps with all the townlands but terrible routing, alongside my tomtom with terrible maps and great routing. Pity I can't mix and match between them:)

Loc8 Codes are a much more precise alternative to postcodes and work irrespective of whether the road/address/townland you are looking for is found in the searchable database. They are already supported on all popular Garmins and in Iphone App called point8 which supports navigation with Google Earth and Navigon and TomTom Apps. Support for other PND's on the way.

Advertisement