Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of Lease, moving soon

Options
  • 13-05-2010 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭

My lease is up in June and I want to move in July. The want me to sign a new lease, but I don't want to be stuck on a lease when I have to move one month later. I live with two others, and we all go on the lease. So I'm sure they don't don't want to be the only two names on the lease either. This is all through an agency. Any advice on what should happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Do your two housemates want to stay on? Best thing you can do is contact the agency and tell them your plan. I'm sure your housemates would like to choose who replaces you? So in the agents eyes they've no extra work to do. What would be wrong with the two remaining housemates putting their names on a lease without you?

Worst case scenario is you have to move out at the end of your lease, you could look for short term accommodation or stay with a friend?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

there trying to play hardball, must be honest Id probably try the same if I was a landlord.

If your not renewing the lease I guess their entitled to call it a day at the end of the current term. Like the last poster suggested find somewhere to stay short term like a friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I can move in June either, but I wanted to give notice so as not to screw anyone over. The agency is being a little quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Are you there longer than six months?

In general, there is no particular need to sign a new lease.

You don't have to give notice given it's the end of your contact with them. But for your housemates I think they've plenty of time now to find someone for June. Most house share tenants want a place straight away.

www.daft.ie have a tenant database you could look that up and see if it suits? There's a subforum here for accommodation sharing. You might be able to help them find someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's the end of a 12 month lease. I was under the impression that we didn't need to sign a new lease. I'll email them and see. Thanks for your suggestion Cathoo, I'll look around.

I mean that you can stay on another month without a lease.

you can however equally the landlord would be entitled to advise you that hes providing notice to quit.

Not if the landlord wants a new one signed.

Cathooo wrote: »
    Not if the landlord wants a new one signed.

yes but given the landlord is trying to play hardball in this case what do you think his next move would be ?

• Advertisement

D3PO wrote: »
    yes but given the landlord is trying to play hardball in this case what do you think his next move would be ?

If the landlord is insisting on a new lease being signed at the end of the old one (which I don't think is playing hardball, nothing wrong with having a lease in place) then I'd suggest the OP just leave at the end of the lease and let the housemates find a new tenant. If a tenant is not found in time perhaps the housemates would sign a new lease themselves and let the op stay on for the month without being on the lease and just divide the rent as normal. They'd want to have a good trusting relationship with the op though.

There is nothing wrong with having a lease in place, but from the facts presented, there is no benefit to the tenant in these circumstances in signing this new lease.

There is a part 4 tenancy in existence (or most likely there is, depends if the tenant has been in occupation for longer than six months). In those circumstances the landlord cannot serve notice on the tenant just because he won't sign a new lease.

Advertisement