Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ableton Live 8 - Trance Dance Tutorials

Options
  • 13-05-2010 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

hi folks, been "messing" around with live 8 for about year now on and off. Trying to make dance/trance songs. ive made a few "crappy" tunes but nothing "professional" sounding youll find them here;
    http://irishbloke.net/dablog/?p=912

Ive got a few VST's for Live The excellent Nexus and Sylenth.

Im a member of "The sonic Academy" its a great site with tutorials but what i want to know is how to make a trance or dance tune from scratch? I know nothing about music well i mean theory wise but i know what i like etc

Whats the structure of a trance song the different parts and sounds how do i learn about that? The Sonic academy tutorials dont seem to cover that fom what ive seen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

A few pointers.

First would be listening to a lot of styles/artists/djs you like and learning how to make the sounds hear. (This will take time and down to your dedication and curiosity/experimentation) spending hours messing about to learn about how these things are made yourself.

Post on this forum, but try to read manuals and work out what you can first!

Get some basic piano theory - pick that up and apply it as you go along.

As you learn what parts are used to make a track the arrangement side will happen - the better you get, the more you can achieve. It's possible to listen to track and emulate most of what you hear after getting basics sorted.

So really learn to program the basics first before trying to complete something 'full'.

Trance is complex and can be very busy, listen to some classical music and you'll hear each layer of instrument moving around doing a different job - Trance is the same using different sounds.

Some involves a lot of special effects - some you may stumble across by accident - some you may find on sample CDs.

Sooooo, before you get in too deep. Learn some theory. Theory is the foundation for everything else working together (or it's just some random nonsense)

Above all, be very patient with yourself!

:) - hope that helps and feel free to scream for help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

work in 16 bar sections, use big synths, stacked saw waves, layer parts, gated pads,
    check out tom cosm on youtube. rolling bass lines, lots of side-chaining, chorus on synth strings. keep it around 135bpm, and then put your own twist on it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Quiggers wrote: »
    tom cosm

this man is a pure genius....knows ableton like the back of his hand......

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Been trying out the Tech Trance Tutorial on sonicacademy.com its amazing how a song is put together so im going through this tutorial until i know it inside out.

Thanks for the tips ill check out tom cosm.

http://www.sonicacademy.com/Producer/Course/?contentId=2087

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Scram wrote: »
    hi folks, been "messing" around with live 8 for about year now on and off. Trying to make dance/trance songs. ive made a few "crappy" tunes but nothing "professional" sounding youll find them here;
    http://irishbloke.net/dablog/?p=912

Ive got a few VST's for Live The excellent Nexus and Sylenth.

Im a member of "The sonic Academy" its a great site with tutorials but what i want to know is how to make a trance or dance tune from scratch? I know nothing about music well i mean theory wise but i know what i like etc

Whats the structure of a trance song the different parts and sounds how do i learn about that? The Sonic academy tutorials dont seem to cover that fom what ive seen.

I'm on SA too - They're grand - But big issue is that they do not go indepth enough.. the Tut's could be / should be twice as long.

Still - Lots of good tips on Synthesis etc.. overall I've got a fair bit out of them.

Check out these sheets that I make that will help you listen to a track & work out the structure & WTF is going on in general. It'll take a bit of elbow grease to figure it out yourself, but its better than being told - Intro, Break blah, blah, blah.. :pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64382938

Cheers,

J

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SaraSonic

Hi guys

It's Sara here, Sonic Academy's marketing manager. I just picked up your messages, it's good to hear there are members on the board - I'm a lurker on some of the other boards. Scram, sounds like you are putting the tutorials to very good use.

And just to give you some reassurance ICN, the guys in production are working on some really good, in depth tutorials that should keep everyone happy that's looking for more advanced content. I can't give you anymore details at the minute but keep your eyes peeled!

If you ever want to give me feedback on any aspect of our service, PM me.

Sara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

OH NO!!

THE GESTAPO FOUND US!!

SAY NOTHING!!

:rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DjRonanFox

A genius when it comes to tutorials

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Second for the Tom Com's stuff...He does a lot of free tutes as well on his site. I'm not into trance tbh, but I learned loads form him, and it's improved my Ableton skills no end (still got a long way to go mind) :).

Advertisement