Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore restaurant and pub recommendation?

Options
  • 13-05-2010 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Going to tramore for a Saturday night in the next few weeks with a couple of mates. Any recommendations for somewhere good to eat?

We are not too fussy, but it would be great to hear from someone who has eaten out there in recent times just to know if there is anywhere we should not miss/avoid. Probably more towards the budget end of the scale (post-golf, pre-pints).

Would also be grateful if anyone can suggest a good pub too, ideally not too noisy, maybe even with a trad session?

Thanks for any advice - don't know the area at all so we are hoping to have a good night in the crystal county! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ocos

Can't help on the pub choice.

Asilia is a great place for a meal - they do a menu for € 60 for two incl a bottle of wine (even on a saturday nite). Plenty of choice and excellent food.

Can't go wrong!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tramore has a good few choices for restaurants. I have eaten in most of them and received great reviews so its a pretty tough choice to pick one. The Sea Horse has re-opened under new management, completely renovated also, so that may be worth trying for some place a little different.

Ill point out a few and link the business names to additional information if I have it. I run the Discover Tramore site and we have a good few of the local restaurants listed with some additional ones being added shortly.

The Esquire - A popular place amongst locals and tourists. Received some excellent reviews and having eaten their myself, I have always found it very nice. They have a bar food menu and a restaurant menu. They also opened a lovely Irish pub next door. The restaurant itself was also renovated recently. Excellent place to go.

The Vee Bistro - Always very busy and like the Esquire is very popular amongst locals and tourists. Never had anybody say a bad word about it - always positive reviews coming from people who have eaten their. They also opened JD Steak House around the corner, but have yet to eat there myself. I think their was a topic on it here before with generally good feedback. The food in the Vee is fantastic, has been for both lunch and dinner, so I can imagine it will be the same in JDs.

The Sea Horse Tavern has been completely renovated and is now under new management. Not much online at the moment, and I wont have anything on Discover Tramore until next week I am afraid, but having seen pictures the places looks fantastic inside. The Sea Horse was always a fantastic place to eat in Tramore and I have no doubt this trend will continue. The new owners seem very enthusiastic and I can see it doing very well. Maybe a place to check out and give a try, seeing as its just re-opened under new management? Bit of a change.

The Doneraile Restaurant in the Grand Hotel does some lovely grub, as does their bar food menu in Duffys Bar. The Americans love it anyway, always come back full and very impressed!

Asila has re-opened again under new management (well, the old manager returned) and was a very popular place. Used to be a bit more pricey, but the food was fantastic so worth it in the end.

The Banyen, I have heard not an awful lot about. It seems to be doing well though and kept busy. Might be a bit pricey, but the place looks fantastic and the few people I know who had food their always highly recommended it.

A lot of the restaurants will have some excellent offers on. Their menus vary a bit as does pricing but tbh they all receive great reviews and busy most of the time which is always a good sign. There all within walking distance from each other and pubs, so that helps in terms of checking them out and seeing which one impresses you the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

If you want quality & a hearty feed in my humble opinion the best value for money is The Pine Rooms in Tramore! Plenty of everything & there is no such thing as never enough. I've always enjoyed the food & service there.
    Top class:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Also recommend JD's Steakhouse which is on Queen Street. Great food, decent prices. Also owned by the people who own the Vee Bistro!

As for Pubs, IMHO the best in the town is The Vic - (The Victoria House) on Queen Street opposite JD's. Great atmosphere, mixed crowd, usually decent music and when the summer kicks in a super beer garden.

Also Raglan Road opened this year and has a good atmosphere. It is part of the Esquire mentioned above. Next to Grand Hotel!

Hope you enjoy your visit to Tramore!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

just to go slightly off topic:

Sully, out of interest, when did john rockett sell the seahorse? have they opened up the downstairs bar, the ship wreck iirc?

(Used to deliver there few years ago before routes were changed.)

Ledger

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Sully wrote: »
    The Banyen, I have heard not an awful lot about. It seems to be doing well though and kept busy. Might be a bit pricey, but the place looks fantastic and the few people I know who had food their always highly recommended it.

Apparently their earlybird menu is supposed to be good and reasonably priced too compared to the standard menu which I've heard is pricey alright.

Gonna pop out when I'm next down and sample it as Ive heard good reports.

Good news on Asila re-opening, always liked that place too.. nice atmosphere in there too.

Who took over the seahorse??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mariemarie

After golf a few pints in the Vic , then directly across the road to JD steak house for delicious reasonably priced food .....

chicken wings , ribs , burgers , steaks , fish n chips , salads etc...
    the perfect food for after golf and during a night of pints !!!!
    i imagine ye dont want the whole dining room type night so this is the best option for your night with the lads !!!

back over to the vic then or a tour of the town !!!

enjoy !! by the way , if ye are planning a night in Dungarvan , i have discounts on golf , accom & food for you , just send me a private message !!!!

have a nice weekend !!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fozzie100

Hey, thanks a million for all the responses! Looks like we will be spoiled for choice. Looking forward to seeing a bit of the sunny south east :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

The Vic is your best bet for drinks before/after your meal. The beer garden is lovely.

After the Vic, you try Murphs, they usually have a good band playing - it's at the junction, opposite the kebab house. If the Jam Tarts are playing, you should definately go there. Excellent band.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

Mistys

• Advertisement
Advertisement