Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheat and dairy free Birthday treat

Options
  • 13-05-2010 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi all.

I'm planning on making a birthday cake for a friend next week. I have two problems. Firstly, she has a wheat and dairy free diet. I don't know what to make as all my ideas have one or the other. Secondly, she's really good at baking so it'll really have to be impressive.

If anyone has any yummy ideas please send them my way. I'm keeping an open mind.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

go to www.babycakesnyc.com and check it out... they have a book for sale, i've seen it in hodges figgis... best of luck, it wont be an easy task!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You might want to run the ingredients past her first. "wheat & dairy free" is quite vague, e.g. eggs are not a dairy product but some people would include them on a "dairy free" diet. There are other flours you can get, like oat flour or rye flour -but again I would not be certain if they could eat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

If eggs are ok, a pavlova for a cake would be a good idea, with lots
    of strawberries.

I have no idea if it is possible to get nice dairy free ice cream to go it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭SissySpaced

Thanks for all the help guys. She eats eggs and I dn't think there is any other grain that she is reluctant to eat. I'll look into all the suggestions. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Try a flourless chocolate cake. No dairy as long as you use really dark chocolate, at least 70%. I used this recipe and it was ridiculously delicious. It disappeared so fast I only got half a slice!

http://cookering.blogspot.com/2010/01/flourless-chocolate-cake.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭SissySpaced

I made a chocolate biscuit cake using 85% chocolate, wheat free biscuits, sultanas, hazelnuts and wheat free/dairy free chocolate muffins. I used soya butter and I think it's way too oily. The chocolate sauce is very bitter but I'm hoping the biscuits etc will ease it a bit. I'm not delighted with how it turned out. It has definitely been a challenge.

Advertisement