Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRISH HISTORY - CUT TO THE CHASE

Options
  • 13-05-2010 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

OK

do you think im ok if i study:
    • 1916 Rising - Causes and Consequences
    • WOI
    • Comparing 1916 to WOI
    • Anglo Irish Treaty
    • Civil War
    • Eucharistic Congress
    • Belfast and WW2
    • The Emergency
    • Anglo Ir Relations (Barely though):rolleyes:
    Was gonna study Cumann but I find it difficult

I think I could manage : Law and Order
    Does that include just:
    • Constution
    • Garda s
    • Army Mutiny
    Or am I missing a point
    Please help me ! Soooo disorganised and need a B1 at least :)
    Thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    OK

do you think im ok if i study:
    • 1916 Rising - Causes and Consequences
    • WOI
    • Comparing 1916 to WOI
    • Anglo Irish Treaty
    • Civil War
    • Eucharistic Congress
    • Belfast and WW2
    • The Emergency
    • Anglo Ir Relations (Barely though):rolleyes:
    Was gonna study Cumann but I find it difficult

I think I could manage : Law and Order
    Does that include just:
    • Constution
    • Garda s
    • Army Mutiny
    Or am I missing a point
    Please help me ! Soooo disorganised and need a B1 at least :)
    Thanks!!!

I think you'll be grand! Sounds like plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

zam wrote: »
    I think you'll be grand! Sounds like plenty

Is Cumann ng and fianna fail necessary to learn?????
    Theres a big emphasis on them
    Not evem sure ill get around to anglo ir relations . Its boring :p

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Our history teacher thinks CnG policy is a likely question this year.

I plan to cover:

CASE STUDIES
    (will be known inside out hopefully)
    *The Treaty
    *Eucharistic congress
    *Belfast WW2

OTHERS
    *Ireland early 1900s
    *Nationalists vs unionists
    *HR crisis
    *Evolution of Sinn Fein
    *War of Independence
    *Civil War
    *CnG policies
    *FF policies
    *Treaty at work and dismantling the treaty

Victoria. wrote: »
    Our history teacher thinks CnG policy is a likely question this year.

I plan to cover:

CASE STUDIES
    (will be known inside out hopefully)
    *The Treaty
    *Eucharistic congress
    *Belfast WW2

OTHERS
    *Ireland early 1900s
    *Nationalists vs unionists
    *HR crisis
    *Evolution of Sinn Fein
    *War of Independence
    *Civil War
    *CnG policies
    *FF policies
    *Treaty at work and dismantling the treaty

Stupid Q but how can I construct Cng and Fianna Fail into points to learn?
    For example, Stalin I did:
    • Intro
    • Propaganda
    • 5year plan
    • Collect.
    • Show Trials
    • Conc
    I have the less stress and the book and both are confusing concerning those 2.
    How can I do that in the same format for Cng and FF? How you learning them?:) I am a disorganised missus so...:rolleyes:

Cumann nG essay.....

1 An intro I guess
    2 Problems faced at the beginning(law + order, finance)
    3 Agriculture and it's importance
    4 Industry and problems, dependence on exports to Britain
    5 Solutions (fiscal inq, tariff commission)
    6 Education (no money, attendance act, vocational act, role of church)
    7 Culture and public opinion
    8 Foreign relations esp with Britain
    9 Evaluation of system + conclusion

FF along the same lines, kinda policies to do with different areas, problems encountered and solutions offered.

Hope that's a bit of help.
    History is the exam I'm most worried about
    Have tried to look at patterns in the papers but it really is like no other subject such a huge amount and so difficult to decide what to study. How to study? I haven't discovered the secret yet, spend so much time panicking about the subject that I don't get anything done. I do find spider diagrams good though and time line type things. Get confused with dates and what people were there and when, fantastic for studying history, a real advantage

• Advertisement

Cumann nG essay.....
    History is the exam I'm most worried about
    Have tried to look at patterns in the papers but it really is like no other subject such a huge amount and so difficult to decide what to study. How to study?
    I haven't discovered the secret yet, spend so much time panicking about the subject that I don't get anything done. I do find spider diagrams good though and time line type things. Get confused with dates and what people were there and when, fantastic for studying history, a real advantage

Same here . Got a B in pre. Need A :o
    I just crammed with points and essays. KEYWORDS ARE FRIENDS.
    do timeline and write points under it

Irish essays = my weakness

Im learning:
    • Stalin - ec + soc + Show trials *
    • Mussolini - rise
    • Hitler -Nazis state *
    • Hitler F policy
    • ww2 (only roughly)
    • Church State Relations
    • Cold war
    • Uprising
    • EEC
    • Comm economies
    • Oil crisis
    • 2nd vat council (barely)
    • 1916 rising
    • WOI
    • Anglo Ir t 1921
    • Civil War
    • Cumann (thanks to you :D)
    • Eucharistic
    • The emergency
    • Belfast and ww2
    Thanks sooooo much for cumann nG ;) real help, seriously:)
    I recite my notes and write them out and out

I kinda learn them like a story? You know? For economies like Stalin I do it under headings. That works.

I found spider diagram worked for WW2 - cause its so big
    I write out essays and then write it out again in points in short hand though. I find that helpful.

Hope that helps a bit
    I dont know the "secret" either but I found those ways helpful. I guess - Variety in notes, diagrams, essays. I found when people say "spider diagrams work" - I thought at first "Ill put everything in that form" - DOESNT WORK - I found the brain takes more in with diff formats for diff topic -
    I have spider diagram for WW2
    Essay for H.Uprsing
    Points for Belfast and ww2

ps how much should i learn for constitution of cumann? (again, thanks:D)

Actually now that I think about it I basically do the same with the spider diagrams, as in having them for some topics that they suit. Some topics are better going straight into essays.

I just checked revise wise (if you haven't got it I recommend it but it doesn't have division and realignment which is a bit of a pain, the new one has the document section on NI in it).

CnG constitution....It doesn't seem to give that much importance to it.

I think the main points would be that the system was basically broke, they had no budget deficit theory at this stage so they were not inclined to spend money on social welfare or anything like that for example even the old age pension was cut. In terms of economy it was survival and protectionism. Morality was big, it was very conservative and heavily influenced by the catholic church who provided services in the community which the government couldn't afford so the church played a huge role. Just very conservative for example there was an Intoxicating Liquor Bill in 1927 and Censorship of Publications Act 1929. Promoting Irishness was an important element. Embassies were established abroad, new stamps and coinage with Irish symbols.

Actually now that I think about it I basically do the same with the spider diagrams, as in having them for some topics that they suit. Some topics are better going straight into essays.

I just checked revise wise (if you haven't got it I recommend it but it doesn't have division and realignment which is a bit of a pain, the new one has the document section on NI in it).

CnG constitution....It doesn't seem to give that much importance to it.

I think the main points would be that the system was basically broke, they had no budget deficit theory at this stage so they were not inclined to spend money on social welfare or anything like that for example even the old age pension was cut. In terms of economy it was survival and protectionism. Morality was big, it was very conservative and heavily influenced by the catholic church who provided services in the community which the government couldn't afford so the church played a huge role. Just very conservative for example there was an Intoxicating Liquor Bill in 1927 and Censorship of Publications Act 1929. Promoting Irishness was an important element. Embassies were established abroad, new stamps and coinage with Irish symbols.

Ah cool. Thanks :) How do you find 2nd vat council? It is kinda daunting to me havent looked at it yet. Dunno where to start. Prefer to do Comm ec instead :D odd haha div and rel section has lots of economics in it *groan* :rolleyes:

Yeh Vatican II we did that really quickly. In our book there's the actual case study chapter and then another one before it dealing with the state of various churches pre-vatican II. The one before is pretty heavy on the statistics so I'm just planning to kinda get a selection and overview but focus on the case study. A bit afraid that they'll start asking other stuff though because they tend to throw other stuff in with the case studies but hopefully for this one it should be ok.

I'm just doing the need for change in the church pre vatican II, what happened, results and impacts.

Yeh Vatican II we did that really quickly. In our book there's the actual case study chapter and then another one before it dealing with the state of various churches pre-vatican II. The one before is pretty heavy on the statistics so I'm just planning to kinda get a selection and overview but focus on the case study. A bit afraid that they'll start asking other stuff though because they tend to throw other stuff in with the case studies but hopefully for this one it should be ok.

I'm just doing the need for change in the church pre vatican II, what happened, results and impacts.

So basically - the case study?:) was gonna do that too
    I agree. the stats are hard

What you make of western economies? I find that kinda all about eec!!;) pray :D
    Think id get away with only learning WOI - Miltary wise or should i do the politics incase?? *groan*:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

EEC would be fab! :)

Haven't studied it in awhile actually.
    Thatcher's era was asked last year which was a shame. Oil crisis would be nice. I was gonna do the various welfare sates as well in Europe and compare them. Also studying the consumer society. Won't be bothering with literature, youth culture, science, immigration or the computer, any of that stuff.

EEC would be fab! :)

Haven't studied it in awhile actually.
    Thatcher's era was asked last year which was a shame. Oil crisis would be nice. I was gonna do the various welfare sates as well in Europe and compare them. Also studying the consumer society. Won't be bothering with literature, youth culture, science, immigration or the computer, any of that stuff.

we didnt do all the science,youth stuff...grr!!! went where all the hard stuff is .....:eek::eek::eek: you know what i wuda loved ? the US TOPIC!! easy as jam ..well some bits :p Got 40% for immigration essay ..not goin near it. Not enough meat:D

Yep we didn't even do those topics. US topic seems cool actually, shame we didn't do that but ah well division and realignment is definitely not the worst of the three!

Anyway better do some study ugh
    see ya!

Yep we didn't even do those topics. US topic seems cool actually, shame we didn't do that but ah well division and realignment is definitely not the worst of the three!

Anyway better do some study ugh
    see ya!

good luck!!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭annainez

Sorry guys I'm new and I don't know how to start a thread (whatever that is)!
    But if anyone's doing the American topic please please give me some direction as to what to study!! I understand The Vietnam War fairly well but I'm freaking out (!! :O) We haven't spent enough time on America in class atall atall!!

Oh P.S. Preparing a lot of essays on different aspects of FF and CnaG will have you well prepared for at least one of the essays :)

annainez wrote: »
    Sorry guys I'm new and I don't know how to start a thread (whatever that is)!
    But if anyone's doing the American topic please please give me some direction as to what to study!! I understand The Vietnam War fairly well but I'm freaking out (!! :O) We haven't spent enough time on America in class atall atall!!

Oh P.S. Preparing a lot of essays on different aspects of FF and CnaG will have you well prepared for at least one of the essays :)

Welcome :D
    Not doing the US topic but if i was you, if your stuck, learn case studies first. Know what happened before, during case study, after.
    If you go to the start of the history book, history is split in 3 sections:

1.Politics and admin
    2.Society and ec
    3.culture

I believe 1.Vietnam
    2.Rosa Parks
    3. Space landing

Always go to where you find difficult cause it'll prob come up

*Theres a podcast available on iTunes - Newstalk Leaving cert 2010 history and its free- downloaded it last week and they give all sorts of tips

Hope thats helpful:)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭annainez

Thanks a mil :D

:confused:look at your book!!!
    I think we have the gerard someones book..?
    Its in that
    Might be in others haha

Advertisement