Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Casette

• 13-05-2010 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭

Am doing the Marmotte in July and have decided it's better to change from my current 25 to a 27 cog. Am faily sure I'll go with the 12-27.

My question has nothing to do with gearing but rather what make cassete ppl would opt for.

I have full D/A on my bike at the mo, a D/A cassette works out about €150, while Ultegra is about €60 (both 10 speed). Wegith difference is only about 50 grams so is there a good reason to spend all that extra (and at the moment €100 is alot extra to me :mad:).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

No, get the Ultegra one. I have two DA cassettes in 11-23 and 12-25 for racing but most of the rest are 12-27 Ultegra. What chainset do you have on the front (a compact I am hoping?) I used 50/34-12/27 last year and needed it. Ultegra cassette, Ultegra SL chainset and the rest the DA the bike came with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Wegith difference is only about 50 grams so is there a good reason to spend all that extra (and at the moment €100 is alot extra to me :mad:).

Thanks

yes, because its 50g lighter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Of course the 50g makes a difference, and that is one of the reasons for the price differential.

I suppose to rephrase the question, is there any other differences between the two other than the weight. Shifting efficiency etc

I suppose to rephrase the question, is there any other differences between the two other than the weight. Shifting efficiency etc
    I don't think so from my own experience. It would just be the weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I suppose to rephrase the question, is there any other differences between the two other than the weight.

The DA one wears out quicker as some of the sprockets are titanium.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    The DA one wears out quicker as some of the sprockets are titanium.
    This may be more a theoretical point/Internet Regurgitated Fact. While Ti does wear faster than steel only the four biggest sprockets are Ti, while the smaller sprockets are what wears first on a cassette making it unusable. So it could well balance out. Certainly I have got plenty of use out of my 11-23 DA cassette.

I think ultimately it comes down to whether the small weight saving is worth it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

If you go with the ultegra you ll regret it ! save those 50 grams and fly up the climbs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

He could just take a big shíte before he leaves and have same effect.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yes, because people with lightweight components always forget to visit the bathroom before they leave for a spin.

Lightweight people = lightweight shíts.

I do urinate and dump water at the bottom of a climb (careful you don't dump too much!) if I know I'll be able to get some at the top though.

750ml of water = 750g if you think about it, it is not insignificant.

Dehydration will obviously affect your climbing more than this 750g so don't go overboard :)

But I think you need to put 50g into perspective. Bottom line is whether it is worth €100. Maybe it is, maybe not... could you get more saving cheaper elsewhere on the bike...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

blorg wrote: »
    But I think you need to put 50g into perspective. Bottom line is whether it is worth €100. Maybe it is, maybe not... could you get more saving cheaper elsewhere on the bike...

It's not just 50g, it's about 25% the weight of the component. If you could save 25% from every component on your bike that would be several kgs, which would be noticable, but very expensive to achieve.

There are some components which are practically quite difficult to save weight from - handlebars and seatposts, for instance, because almost all the manufacturers lie about the weights, and weightweenie seatposts tend to be weaker and/or more awkward to adjust. Saddles are also hard to weight weenie, unless you have found a comfy saddle and can find a lighter one from the same manufacturer in the same design, you risk becoming uncomfortable, which vastly outweighs the very marginal benefits of weight loss.

At least cassette weights are fairly well documented and there are no comfort, safety or adjustability issues.

Perhaps it makes sense to match the cassette with the wheel. I can't see the logic in using a €50 Ultegra cassette on an €1800 set of Zipps, or a DA cassette on a £100 set of Planet-X wheels.

Advertisement