Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop skipping

• 13-05-2010 5:41pm

Well skipping isn't the best word for it, more like it pauses for a split second every second. My pointer will pause for a bit when I move it across the screen and the same goes when playing music or watching a video. I've tried my last 5 system restore points but it keeps saying unable to restore to this point. I had it on all last night and it was doing it this morning when I looked at it. What's wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Sounds like your hard drive maybe dying, best thing to do it run the on-boot diag.

Is it making a "clicking" sound?

No it's not making a clicking sound, I'm running disk defrag now and I'll try what you mentioned if it doesn't help

Defrag didn't help and the boot diagnostic gave me an error, not sure if I should post it here or not. I'm going to Google it and see if I can find anything

I found a solution here http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=69036 post #5

but after I typed in CHKDSK it said that the disk appears to have no errors but if I wish to scan it anyway to "use /p" When I type it into the command prompt it says unknown command (I also tried CHKDSK/P) Any idea what to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I found a solution here http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=69036 post #5

but after I typed in CHKDSK it said that the disk appears to have no errors but if I wish to scan it anyway to "use /p" When I type it into the command prompt it says unknown command (I also tried CHKDSK/P) Any idea what to do?

chkdsk c: /r

• Advertisement

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean. I've tried chkdsk/r, chkdsk/p, /r and /p on the command line and all were unknown commands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

type the following in before it

cd C:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭portumnadaz

I had the exact same problem on a Dell dimension 6000 laptop. I had xp on it. I reinstalled windows from scratch but it didnt help. I installed Ubuntu on it and no more skipping. Wierd that even an old XP without updates still causes it but Linux fixed it.

type the following in before it

cd C:
    Before CHKDSK? So it would look like "cd c:CHKDSK"
    I had the exact same problem on a Dell dimension 6000 laptop. I had xp on it. I reinstalled windows from scratch but it didnt help. I installed Ubuntu on it and no more skipping. Wierd that even an old XP without updates still causes it but Linux fixed it.

What's Ubuntu to install/use compaired to Windows? I may have to do what you did but I'll be reinstaling Windows first.

Advertisement