Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lidl drill

Options
  • 13-05-2010 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

hello,i bought a cordless drill off lidl about a year and a half ago.when i was using it about four weeks ago there was a loud bang and the battery hit me in the leg..my leg was fine but the battery was split.. i was concerned about this as if i had been using it up a ladder it could of caused an accident,so i got in touch with a nice lady from lidl who told me to send it in.about two weeks later i recieved it back in the post and a letter telling me it checked ot ok "NO FAULT".. this is making it more annoying for me now as you could imagine,i feel as they are calling me a liar.i am looking for advice on this as i think they should of supplied me with a new drill at least
    yours lazywhole

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Was the battery supposed to slot into place, or was there some kind of latch to hold it in place? I'm just trying to understand how it fell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭lazywhole

sorry yes the battery locks into place and i have to press a button to release it.it was the loud bang that blew the battery out and hit my leg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

So, the battery fell out, didn't do any damage, and has tested OK. Is that about the size of it? If so, I don't see what you're looking for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

The battery was split, as in it exploded?:eek: I wouldnt waste me time following it up, Lidl produce is absolute sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

If you had been injured, you would probably have gotten a doctor's note or proof of injury, I doubt 'could have been...' would stand any ground for a claim although I stand to be corrected.

They probably should have at least explained what happened and replaced the battery as, despite being a 'consumable', it shouldn't have exploded in general use (even if it was cheap) - there may have been a manufacturing defect which in worst case scenario might justify a product recall.

Perhaps get in touch with the Consumer Association for further advice?

It is what it's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

lazywhole wrote: »
    hello,i bought a cordless drill off lidl about a year and a half ago.
    A year and a half with a Lidl power tool, that must be a record. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The battery was split, as in it exploded?:eek:

Hitting the floor might have had something to do with the split.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Stekelly wrote: »
    Hitting the floor might have had something to do with the split.

The OP never said anything about it hitting the floor. It hit his leg, and could've bounced onto a couch or bed for all you know. Something also gave a loud bang before it went flying anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭lazywhole

the battery hit a concrete floor after the bang(explosion)..but it made enough of a bang to make my ears "ring" so im guessing the battery split before it hit the ground.. i am not looking for a personnel injuries claim. i would like to claim for a new drill.does anyone think i have a case ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

lazywhole wrote: »
    the battery hit a concrete floor after the bang(explosion)..but it made enough of a bang to make my ears "ring" so im guessing the battery split before it hit the ground.. i am not looking for a personnel injuries claim. i would like to claim for a new drill.does anyone think i have a case ?

Not a chance, battery 18months old its like trying to get a refund on your car because the timming belt broke at 70,000 miles.

Now its crap that Lidl don't have the spare batteries easily avialable as these batteries wear out depending on use you might not get 18months out of a professional quality NiCad battery and this is a cheap drill. While NiCads are a common source of power in cordless tools they really aren't ideal for use by people who "might" leave them on charge and only rarely use the power tool. If the drill is OK then I'd suspect battery overcharging is the problem it can lead to explosions but, on the other hand if the drill had a problem and could short out the battery that could also lead to an explosion.

If you read the instuctions you'll probably find warnings about not leaving the battery on charge. Maybe you didn't overcharge it but its hard to prove you didn't do something wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement