Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Robust are proxy avoidance software?

• 13-05-2010 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi Folks, Im not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question but here it goes anyway..

have any of you any experience using a proxy blocker/IP hider service? I wonder how reliable they are ? Im going on an 3 -6 month break to a destination that does not allow a certain poker site to be played in that country as their servers are located there.

However this site is my preferred site of choice ( I play semi professuionally) and i would rather not have to move onto another site and continue to play there to earn my spending money when abroad.. However my fear is that they could somehow figure out i am using such a service and freeze all the funds in my account and ban me from playing there... It is stated in their T&Cs that these services are not allowed..
    So what are the chances of them finding out i am using some proxy avoidance software? and can any one recommend the best one out there?

Any info on this much appreciated

JPR

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭LastFridayNight

It is possible for them to find out that you're covering your tracks unless you know exactly what you are doing and are very careful... beyond that point (Lv2), it is still possible for them to find out, but they may not have the resources to. In the later case, they would most likely be targeting you directly, and that is always costly. So if I was a betting man, I'd want to know what value it is to them financially to know if I was in a different country. And then weigh up the cost of their implementing to detect Lv1. I know engineers who could implement a pretty competent Lv1 in a day or two. I also know companies who would spend up to 60K on the same project. No commercial company will go ever to Lv2... Even if they're mafia; it would be much cheaper just to have you killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

@LastFridayNight.. ha ha what?!

@OP I actually posted an answer to this last night but it seems to be missing.

Anyway, this is short and sweet version.

If they are serious about security and they probably are they could simply have a list of all the known proxy servers and just ban them. Its not hard to do..

What you could do is pay for your own proxy server in ireland and just use that. Should keep you safe and as a bonus you can watch RTE..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭LastFridayNight

If they are serious about security and they probably are they could simply have a list of all the known proxy servers and just ban them.

That's not being serious. Being serious about security is looking at the other fingerprint techniques, such as having the website download a flash component that bypasses the proxy setting, forcing the client to create a door-to-door connection to reveal its true source address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

@LastFridayNight. Apologies, I discounted your original post as a joke, when I saw the level 1, 2 stuff and the mention of the mafia. I shouldn’t have.

If they did go for the flash component, how would that work in a corporate environment where you are forced through a proxy, and cannot get any other access?

If the flash component did show your true ip then that would just be your internal network address, which would be useless to anyone.

If I create a VPN tunnel into my own Hosted Proxy Server, and then use that, I can’t see how they could find out and/or ban me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭mocata

Just setup a bog standard Pc at home with LOGMEIN and remote control it from wherever you are. Simples

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭jpr1973

i m not 100% sure that remote access is the way to go. I play 8 tables at a time and from previous experience of remote (team viewer and mikoga)access there always seems to be a time lag and you dont get that much time to make decisions when playing on 8 tables..

Advertisement