Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fat 32 4gb limit (cross platform use)

• 13-05-2010 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

hi just bought an external hard drive (iomega 1tb usb 2.0, firewire 400 and 800 and esata)
    i want to use it on both mac and pc (not for backup but to read and write files)
    i formatted it to fat32 but it has a 4gb limit which is really annoying. what can i do to get around that?
    can i format it to something else that will work with both mac and pc without a limit?
    i found a program called macdrive which costs 50 dollars and you can install it on a pc to be able to read and write files from a mac formatted hard drive but i want to use my hard drive on several pc's and paying 50 quid each time to install the program on each pc is just not feasible.
    is there a program like that for free anywhere? or even one that i can buy once and install on each different pc i want to use?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

I take it you are talking about the max size of a file FAT32 will support is 4GB?

Ways around this would be to split the file up or move to another file system, NTFS, ext3. I don't have a clue what file systems are supported by OSX.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 djz

yeah the max size for a file is 4GB with FAT32

how do i split a file? im trying to put cs4 on it and the size of the file is 6.5gb

i thought ext3 was just for linux no?
    and i think NTFS is only for windows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Google for how to split large files.

May be try this.

thanks
    cant seem to find any programs that split large files for mac though
    anyone know any?
    only found one that split files up to 2gb

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

HjSplit for Mac
    Discussion about file splitting for Mac
    SimplyRAR

all this from one google search :) and i'm a windows person :D

• Advertisement

the first link gives me two options
    either split and concat - which can only split files smaller than 2gb (so no good to me unfortunately)
    or chunk joiner - which is only for joining but not splitting. from their website "The purpose of the software is to concatenate: binary files previously split, maybe on a non-Macintosh computer"

the second and third links are for splitting RAR files and the file im trying to split is not rar
    the other option they give is through terminal (which is like dos) which i dont know anything about and dont want to start messing with in case i crash the system or something..

im not sure but maybe i can convert files into rar, hopefully that might solve it

thanks anyway, hopefully ill figure it out somehow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

djz wrote: »
    the first link gives me two options
    either split and concat - which can only split files smaller than 2gb (so no good to me unfortunately)
    or chunk joiner - which is only for joining but not splitting. from their website "The purpose of the software is to concatenate: binary files previously split, maybe on a non-Macintosh computer"
    that split app says that it cannot split files into parts greater than 2GB, i think. that's my take but i can't test it on mac.

i remember from files i downloaded that i had to join together, the joined file was something like 6GB, but this was on win7 with HJsplit, not split for mac.
    did you try using the split or are you assuming it from the info on the link given? just wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 macnerdy

Just format the disk using NFTS and run MacFuse on the Mac.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 babelfish

macnerdy wrote: »
    Just format the disk using NFTS and run MacFuse on the Mac.
    I have been banned for some dumb ass rason so pm on this account

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

babelfish wrote: »
    I have been banned for some dumb ass rason so pm on this account
    You've been banned for trying to use boards as a free advertising platform.

You've now been banned for trying to circumvent this ban by opening a new account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I use chainsaw nowadays for splitting files.... Its freeware :D

You could try a different file systems - NTFS? NTFS has pretty decent cross platform support these days and no 4gb file limit :)

Advertisement