Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Cycle lanes!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Does anyone know if the council have been forced to comment publicly about this mess (i.e. on Billy McCarthy)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

I was walking the Dunmore road today and noticed they now have signs up saying parking in the bus lane is ALLOWED between 9.30 - 4.30 and 6.30-x.xx (or something similar). Even though parking is obviously prohibited at peak times, this just makes the bus lanes seem even more pointless to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Had a close call Wed evening, the Keneallys bus was stopped after the church on the left hand side, I was traveling on the right, there were cars parked in the bus lane, all the cars behind the bus decided to overtake, in my lane. They got so far then got stuck facing me until the buss pulled off again. We need a webcam on that road just for a laugh.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    We need a webcam on that road just for a laugh.

Get on to the council to move this http://www.waterfordcity.ie/cam/
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭calerbass

Yes Boss wrote: »
    The Council is trying to shoehorn cycle lanes onto a narrow road - for whom? Why are they not on the roads leading out to Lisduggan, Kilcohan or John's park?

You can be guaranteed that they do not comply with minimum standards and in my opinion they pose a safety risk. I would suggest that if there is an accident i will be challenged and the Council will end up paying for the damage. Absolute clowns!!!

I agree with you..........the lanes are there to appease the leafier suburbs of waterford.......it sticks out really.......a cosmetic exercise.........ya cant just put in cycle lanes in one part of the city and not the other parts......its waterford's Dublin Four in the city council,s mind...........for years their was nowhere to lock a bicycle in the city.........only leave it at the side of the church next to egans..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Had a close call Wed evening, the Keneallys bus was stopped after the church on the left hand side, I was traveling on the right, there were cars parked in the bus lane, all the cars behind the bus decided to overtake, in my lane. They got so far then got stuck facing me until the buss pulled off again. We need a webcam on that road just for a laugh.

i had a close call of kinds yesterday but it was just me in my van and another car and bus both me and the car slowed down nearly to a stop as we both tried to pass the moving bus its ridulous
    thankfully no cyclist was there too be pushed up on to the path

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

An interesting point in relation to the new cycle lanes, is that the line that separates them from the vehicular carriageway is broken, thus allowing cars to drive over/on them legally. I wonder is this because the width of the carriageways on some stretches of the road look like they don't comply with NRA guidelines for minimum widths!!
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gooner4ever

Can anyone understand why they have put in the new traffice lights?
    I travel the dunmore road everyday, the traffic has gotten worse since they started the traffice lights. I have regularly used both junctions where the traffic lights were installed and I was never waiting more that a min or two to get onto the dunmore road before the lights were installed. Now i find I get caught at both sets of lights everytime I use the road. I now find that I am avoiding the road whenever possible. What genious in the City council thought up this stupid idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

I travel the dunmore road everyday, the traffic has gotten worse since they started the traffice lights. I have regularly used both junctions where the traffic lights were installed and I was never waiting more that a min or two to get onto the dunmore road before the lights were installed. Now i find I get caught at both sets of lights everytime I use the road. I now find that I am avoiding the road whenever possible. What genious in the City council thought up this stupid idea?

I would imagine it is a cynical ploy to put a halt on cars proceeding too easily so more people will use the bus, especially when they see it whizing by their stationary car

seems we have a council who are going out of there way to punish car drivers (just look at the ORR with a stupid Speed limit)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gooner4ever

Bards wrote: »
    I would imagine it is a cynical ploy to put a halt on cars proceeding too easily so more people will use the bus, especially when they see it whizing by their stationary car

seems we have a council who are going out of there way to punish car drivers (just look at the ORR with a stupid Speed limit)

I remember reading an article when the road opened and the council tried to justify the speed limit by stating that the road was zoned residential.
    I think it is going to be a very long time before any houses are going to be built along that road which just confirms what a stupid speed limit it is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

This could be good for cyclists (though a red light is more annoying when you are on a bike as you lose all the momentum).

I've been looking at OpenStreetMap.

At the moment the cycle lanes bring you to the park (ok, the lanes can be improved, but lets suppose the are functional).

This is good as it takes in Waterpark and De La Salle secondary schools, so can remove some traffic from pupils who decide to cycle (maybe the city council can sponsor some extra bike sheds too).

However, if you want to get into town Lombard St is a bit of a bottle-neck, with no lane.

How about allow people cycle through the park. Now we add St. Declan's to our list of schools. Then make Catherine St one way to facilitate a bike lane leaving the park. Then some slight changes to traffic lights and so can allow bikes access to Spring Garden Alley and you're in the city centre.

It would also connect the Dunmore Rd bike route to the proposed route for the Quay/Mall. Hopefully this will be extended out the Cork Rd and we would have bike routes linking WIT to City Centre to Dunmore Road.

Also the paths are plenty wide to allow bike lanes on the inner ring road which would connect the Cork Road to Tramore, so you can cycle all the way from Tramore to the City Centre is relative safety.

Does any one on the Dunmore rd actually know they can't park in the cycle lanes?

It's great to see the new Dooley's chip shop open across from the park but when I passed there yesterday evening at 19:30, there was a line of cars parked in the cycle lane, then 3 cars double parked in the driving lane!!

Because of the Food festival there was a long line of cars coming in from Dunmore, so after 20 cars passing me on the other side of the road, I let rip on the horn, the 3 cars finally moved in to the petrol garage.

Have to remember not to use that road anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭RockPaper

They've now put cats eyes on the road between Benildus church and the roundabout at the top of Newtown, anyone else think this is overkill on a well-lit residential road??

RockPaper wrote: »
    They've now put cats eyes on the road between Benildus church and the roundabout at the top of Newtown, anyone else think this is overkill on a well-lit residential road??

It does no harm. The bumpy bump sound will remind drivers if they are crossing over a lane. To be honest I'd like a more solid barrier for the cycle lanes.

I would consider it more a major thoroughfare than a residential road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

That stretch of road is acutually a Regional Road R683 but even at that it's overkill. The Traffic Signs Manual states "In urban or slow-speed situations, discretion should be used as to the provision of studs, having regard to the traffic pattern and mix. Generally, where adequate street lighting is provided, studs will not be necessary".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

total overkill ,,theres plenty of other roads junctions in waterford city that need the work done too and not just for the privalaged few in upper newtown where they had a perfectly good road to drive on before they started messing with it ,,,and if u look at some of the junctions that have the red cycle lane materail done on that road(even some of that cream coloured slow zone ****e) ,,,its after wearing away already and its not down two months so its a bigger waste of money and a hazard for skidding because of the loose chipping grit :mad:,,i didnt mean to rant ,,,

total overkill ,,theres plenty of other roads junctions in waterford city that need the work done too and not just for the privalaged few in upper newtown where they had a perfectly good road to drive on before they started messing with it ,,,and if u look at some of the junctions that have the red cycle lane materail done on that road(even some of that cream coloured slow zone ****e) ,,,its after wearing away already and its not down two months so its a bigger waste of money and a hazard for skidding because of the loose chipping grit :mad:,,i didnt mean to rant ,,,

Its one of the main routes of the city. Its not just for the privileged few, unless someone on their way to the hospital is in someway privileged.

They cateyes do no harm. Stop looking for things to moan about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I was driving into the city centre yesterday and there was a truck, not one of the big ones coming out from town and it was too wide for the lane, the truck was slightly over the central white line and the other side was at least halfway over into the cycle lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I was just driving behind someone in a micra coming down from the roundabout towards the Tower and when we passed through the junction at the entrance to Newtown school they continued driving down the road as if there was a bus lane to their left, i.e. on the wrong side of the road!:eek:
    Only lucky there were no cars coming up the hill.

• Advertisement

Bloody hell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

The new road layout is a total disgrace and it's only a matter of time before someone is killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

not resurrecting this for the sake of it but .....

what do folks think of the new speed bumps? :D now we have the fun of people swerving into the cycle/bus lane to avoid the latest fiasco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

These bycycle lanes are mere gestures. It is just Ireland trying to pretend that we are green and trendy to the EU so we can get some more money to waste....but I have a feeling that they might be coping on to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

old gregg wrote: »

what do folks think of the new speed bumps? :D now we have the fun of people swerving into the cycle/bus lane to avoid the latest fiasco.

you couldnt make it up just filled in the potholes and replacing them with bumps , anyone who has respect for their motors will avoid the suspension busting lump of maxibrick bolted down in well"im not sure which lane theres so many of them now or where the middle of the road has gone:confused::confused::confused:

old gregg wrote: »

Yeah, I've seen that a fair bit.

As a motorist and cyclist (like most cyclists are anyway) I went on the bike lanes and think they are an improvement for cyclists over what was there. Now motorists give the appropriate distance when overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Its now 117 posts later and i regret the wording of my first post in this tread.

I think luckly not many cyclists use the lanes provided as if they did they would be long dead at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Good to see that the inner ring road is now being fitted out with cycle lanes. From what I can see, they're marked from the Ursuline out as far as the Cork Rd junction with Ballybeg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Anybody notice how they put another speed bump in the bus lane to stop people going into the lane just to avoid a speed bump,who actually decides these things??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

gscully wrote: »
    Good to see that the inner ring road is now being fitted out with cycle lanes. From what I can see, they're marked from the Ursuline out as far as the Cork Rd junction with Ballybeg.

Not seen them, are they part of the footpath or road?

Advertisement