Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spindle making

Options
  • 13-05-2010 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

hi,
    any one out there in the galway area any good on a lathe? need to get a spindle remade have the original but its in 2 pieces. or any ideas where i could go to get one made

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ronboy

How badly is it broke?? you might be able to repair it.
    Stick up a pic of it...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

not badly could be easily repaired but the person im doin it for is insisting on new one! theres no changing there mind on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Could you pick one up in your friendly joinery companies?

ya was gonna try there tommorrow but thought some boardsies mite have some ideas first.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Is the spindle a modern turning or old, as in antique. Any joinery setting up a copier using your broken spindle as a template, will have far more overheads than a local woodturner. Quickest option, depending on the break of course, is probably boring into both pieces of the spindle, and inserting a wooden or metal dowel. Job done

kadman

• Advertisement

ya its perfectly easy to repair but insisting on a new one no idea why. ya i mite have a call around tomorrow and see if they could make up one

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ronboy

ya its perfectly easy to repair but insisting on a new one no idea why. ya i mite have a call around tomorrow and see if they could make up one

Let us know how you get on with them and what price they are;)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Try Ambrose O'Halloran, Cregboy, Claregalway.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

Ambrose O'Halloran is your man a legend in galway for wood turning .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I have a hydraulic copy lathe, about 4 miles from Claregalway.

• Advertisement

found a neighbour of mine who works in a joinery (didnt even know him) and they have a copy lathe so said he would look at getting it made up for me
    thanks for all the replies lads

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

found a neighbour of mine who works in a joinery (didnt even know him) and they have a copy lathe so said he would look at getting it made up for me
    thanks for all the replies lads

Well done,

kadman

got the spindle sorted lads. joinery wanted crazy money to make it!!! big thank you to galwayrush for all his help and a great job on it too. top man!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Glad to be able to help mazthespark.:cool:
    Sorry i wasn't able to duplicate 75 years of paint LOL.:D

Advertisement