Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick: FAI Refuse to Sanction Barcelona friendly

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

simonw wrote: »
    "The Fai have sensationally threatened to pull the plug on their running of the League of Ireland. The Association are increasingly irritated with some clubs, and are believed to be close to breaking point following Limerick FC's bid to overshadow the opening of Lansdowne Road Stadium. The First Division club were angered that the FAI wouldn't sanction a money-spinning July friendly with Barcelona in Thomand Park, and released the news the night before the planned ribbon-cutting. "The Association is getting pi**ed off with the clubs - it gets more flak than it deserves," an FAI source said last night. "The FAI spends €5 million a year to run the League and the clubs' attitudes are all wrong. They just want cheques from us and don't care how they get them. "Commercial priorities have to be protected and we're seriously considering walking away when the agreement ends next year. Then the clubs can play all the friendlies they like."
    How amazing that would be. Realistically we need a new model for governing professional/semi-football in this country. Can't help but feel the Spanish method of elected presidents for fixed terms would give the league a massive kick up the arse. Delaney & co are answerable to no1 and can do what they want, and when they want to do it. We're badly in need of someone with a desire to look after this league in a fair and commercially viable manner, and if those individuals have to face scrutiny against other candidates regularly, the standard of administration in this league would surely automatically improve? I don't doubt that there may be drawbacks, I'm sure everyone will be able to think of some, but with the league in its current state, the pros must outweigh the cons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

"Commercial priorities have to be protected and we're seriously considering walking away when the agreement ends next year. Then the clubs can play all the friendlies they like."
    Fúck off Delaney.

And don't let the door hit you on the way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

So pretty much only the FAI can put on high-profile friendlies now? Oh my.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

dreamers75 wrote: »
    What a condescending little.... :mad:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I actually understand Maxi now.

Christ almighty.

Inept clowns.

:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Des wrote: »
    I actually understand Maxi now.

Christ almighty.

Inept clowns.

:mad::mad:

Forgive my total ignorance but who is Maxi?:o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

All this interfering with the LOI fixtures is balls,last season Bohs were allowed to play a Liverpool reserve team a day or two before a fixture.I cant remember the detail's but the games were close.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Jesus it would be almost comical but for the depressing fact that these muppets are the ones running the league.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

It was a Bohs reserve team that played the Liverpool youth team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Dub13 wrote: »
    All this interfering with the LOI fixtures is balls,last season Bohs were allowed to play a Liverpool reserve team a day or two before a fixture.I cant remember the detail's but the games were close.

Its planned for the same day as 2 1st div games, theres precedent for that aswell tho.

podge018 wrote: »
    It was a Bohs reserve team that played the Liverpool youth team.

I am sure when the FAI gave there 'permission' they did not know what kind of team Bohs were going to field.I think the big difference this year is the FAI are now competing with the clubs they govern for these glamor friendlies which is bang out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Do the FA in England have control over what friendlies clubs can play?

Does any football association in Europe have such sanction?

Surely Limerick should appeal this to UEFA or FIFA.

Ok just saw on Aertel that it's a third party agency that controls friendlies. Worse again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The FAI need a LOI to have a national team, right? So, if nobody offered to run the league, they would no choice but to run it!!

So why are they threatening to leave it?

Also, what exactly are the fixtures that Fran Gavin is waxing on about??

• Advertisement

plasmaguy wrote: »
    Do the FA in England have control over what friendlies clubs can play?

Does any football association in Europe have such sanction?

Surely Limerick should appeal this to UEFA or FIFA.

Ok just say on Aertel that it's a third party agency that controls friendlies. Worse again.

Yes, all games have to be sanctioned by the countries FA - in the case of Limerick v Barca both the Spanish FA and Irish FA have to sanction it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

what "third party agency" do the FAI use? this all sounds very dodgy and corrupt, someone somewhere is getting a lot of money from the FAI for doing fúck all. (although that could be said for all the suits from delaney down)

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

If Limerick wanted to play this in lansdown it probably wouldn't be a problem which is sickening.

Not allowing the friendly is nothing to do with Limerick or Thomond, The FAI are afraid it will interfere with their pay day with the Man Utd friendly. Bohs were approached about it too, but the FAI completely dismissed the possibility of playing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Roar wrote: »
    what t"hird party agency" do the FAI use? this all sounds very dodgy and corrupt, someone somewhere is getting a lot of money from the FAI for doing fúck all. (although that could be said for all the suits from delaney down)
    That's what I want to know.

Monday May 17 2010
    IT'S all about the money. Always was. Now we have the official confirmation. John Delaney conceding that, ultimately, monetary factors are the reason why the FAI will not allow Limerick FC host Barcelona in Thomond Park.

Never mind the guff about a clash with Airtricity League fixtures, an excuse which League of Ireland Director Fran Gavin initially sent to the First Division club. And don't be distracted by Delaney's hint that the Shannonsiders' decision to go public removed the prospect of mediation, as though it could have been resolved with a bit more subtlety.

This is about cash, an agreement struck by the FAI with a third party which has denied the south-west region the presence of arguably the world's most attractive club.

Last night, an FAI spokesman was providing a bit more detail, stating that the clause related to friendly matches with an attendance in excess of 20,000 -- the visit of Sunderland to Thomond in July is apparently excused because it's for charity.

Amid claim and counter-claim, Delaney appeared on RTE Radio yesterday where he was asked by Marian Finucane if the decision was simply about money.

"It ultimately comes down to that, Marian," he replied, before moving on to speak about lesser factors. So, there you have it. Right from the horse's mouth.

Of course, anyone immersed in or around Irish football is aware that in the FAI's current predicament, everything is about money.

The desperation in the wake of the World Cup exit in Paris was borne from more than the understandable feeling of injustice. It was about money. Bringing Manchester United to open the renovated Lansdowne Road is not about giving football fans 'an eventful and exciting autumn at Aviva Stadium'. No, it's about money.

The fact that this year's summer training camp is taking place in Malahide? Money. The decision to only give Vantage Club holders an option to buy tickets for the Man U game rather than adding to the package, when sales pitches mentioned the possibility that extra games could arise? You guessed it. Money.

Borrowing substantially to finance their commitment to Lansdowne Road, a course of action that was supposed to be recouped by the disastrous sale of the 10-year premium seats, has driven the association into a tricky position. Everything else is a sub-plot.

Now, in the current climate, there's no great scoop in pointing out that any particular organisation is constrained by financial considerations. Bringing Barcelona to Limerick is all about the cash as well, all about profit. Real Madrid's visit to Dublin last year, with another on the agenda later this summer, was influenced by the same motives. All the spin-offs, like the positive publicity for the domestic game in a crowded sporting market, are very welcome, yet subordinate to the bigger picture.

But there is a distinct difference here, a very important difference. The FAI is supposed to be a national association, the guardians of the game in this country. They speak of a football family. On their website, they assert their mission to 'foster, develop, and promote football' ... to work with the 'many stakeholders who enjoy and support our sport'.

It looks pretty deplorable, then, when the chief executive of the association admits they have an arrangement with a third-party company -- understood to be their long-standing partners Kentaro, although Delaney refuses to name them -- which, effectively, limits the ability of their senior clubs to aim for the stars and secure themselves a lucrative package from their own endeavour. In other words, they can aim small, but nothing too ambitious thanks very much.

Additionally, Delaney queries the extent to which Limerick have arranged a deal with Barcelona, an assertion which is sure to be noted with the war of words continuing further into legal territory. With the FAI chief accusing Limerick officials of being naïve and also bringing the game into disrepute, they were consulting with their lawyers last night before responding.

Furthermore, he queried if they are actually aware of the scale of the operation, speculating that it might be difficult for them to come out on the right side financially.

"Another fear I'd have for this game is to get Barcelona costs a €1m, to host the game including the security, the rent to Thomond Park, flying the clubs in, could be €2m. So, for the club to make money on it, I can't see how it would work," he said.

To be fair, Delaney would have an idea of the logistics. A couple of weeks ago, Pádraig Smith, the FAI's Compliance Officer and Noel Mooney, a Limerick man who is the Head of League Marketing and Promotion, were in Barcelona to discuss the possibility of an FAI-sanctioned visit by the Catalan giants.

There is a terrible irony in Mooney, who holds a role intended to develop the game around the country, being sent to Limerick to inform owner Pat O'Sullivan of the bad news. You couldn't make it up.

Anyway, the matter of number crunching and making the Barca game work should be a problem for Limerick and the agent organising the game. Let's not be distracted from the overall state of play here.

What Delaney is saying is that if another League of Ireland club goes out tomorrow, and has the initiative to agree a deal with Barcelona or Real Madrid or Manchester United for a game at a decent-sized venue, they are wasting their time.

Indeed, despite Delaney's denials, it was reported over the weekend that Bohs were told as much when they made a tentative enquiry to Abbotstown regarding the possibility of a game with Barca.

The levels of frustration within football circles are growing. There's nothing new about League of Ireland anger, but add it to the bemusement of the confused wider public, especially in the Limerick region, and the damage to the FAI from this debacle has been multiplied ten-fold.

Bohemians manager Pat Fenlon articulated the general sentiment in the wake of his side's Setanta Cup joy on Saturday evening. If his club make it through the second round of the Champions League -- where they will be seeded -- then it's plausible that one of the biggest games in their history, the third-round decider that would have serious ramifications for the domestic scene, would be overshadowed by a clash with the Manchester United visit.

"Getting money into the coffers of the association is more important than getting the money into the coffers at the clubs at the moment," said Fenlon. "So be it. There's nothing we can do about that. We all know what its about. Write the story. It's not about anything to do with football or fixtures. It's about time people stood up and wrote the story in relation to that."

Thing is, it has been written many times already. The FAI are in such a pickle that the main consideration is looking after number one. Delaney's admission couldn't have made it any clearer.

- Daniel McDonnell

Irish Independent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

The money part makes interesting reading .

How do these friendlies work , do you pay the team ( in this case Barca ) + expences ?

I thought this was similar to the Carton Hse / Real M deal where they were staying nearby on a training camp and agreed to play the game as a warm up ( am I naive , I imagine I am )

If the figures Delaney quotes are right , indeed how money would be made is rather difficult ( you would need tkt prices that would put it out of the reach of most people )

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

Davidth88 wrote: »

If the figures Delaney quotes are right , indeed how money would be made is rather difficult ( you would need tkt prices that would put it out of the reach of most people )

I wouldn't believe a single word out of Delaney's mouth tbh, especially not when they're in the middle of a PR disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The money part makes interesting reading .

How do these friendlies work , do you pay the team ( in this case Barca ) + expences ?

I thought this was similar to the Carton Hse / Real M deal where they were staying nearby on a training camp and agreed to play the game as a warm up ( am I naive , I imagine I am )

I know for the Shams match Platinum One rented the Tallaght Stand and ask Rovers to play, in exchange Rovers got 5% of each ticket sold. Platinum One then sell the TV rights, etc... while paying Barca to come over along with expenses and the usuals. Some money in it.

So in effect the Shamrock Rvs Vs RM game , a third party rented the stadium , paid Shamrock Rvs and RM to play the game ?

Thanks.

My opinion on this , it's a huge own goal by the FAI , but then again they seem to be used to that

So in effect the Shamrock Rvs Vs RM game , a third party rented the stadium , paid Shamrock Rvs and RM to play the game ?

Thanks.

My opinion on this , it's a huge own goal by the FAI , but then again they seem to be used to that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Thanks.

Yup.

The FAI are a joke. They were always a joke and the laughing stock of Europe among football federations and they will always be a joke.

Just how we got to 3 world cups and a Euro Championship with these muppets running the show is beyond me.

It seems they want a slice of every piece of action and give no independence to clubs.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for the people of Limerick and Munster which every true football fan would support. But Delaney and the FAI aren't interested in football, they are interested in revenue streams and all that crap.

It's time for the politicians to get involved in my opinion and to tell the FAI to cop themselves on and stop negotiating dodgy deals that go against the interests of true football fans.

Delaney would do anything for money, as shown by the way he sold the TV rights to SKY. There is more to football than revenue and money.

What is worst of all about all this is the taxpayer coughed up nearly 200 million euro for the Aviva stadium, taxpayers which included the people of Munster and Limerick. It's another truely sickening episode in the FAI's dodgy history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I remember being extremely angry at Sepp Blaster the way he ridiculed the Irish FA for them suggesting the extra team etc...
    Now I know why he ridiculed them...they're a búnch of fúckin morons who don't deserve any better. And you know what? I still hate the cúnt but just not as much as john delaney (I refuse to use capitals for that monkey's name).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I'd be banned from the forum if I wrote what I really thought of John Delaney.
    bohsman wrote: »
    Apparently Barca approached Bohs but the FAI told us to **** off straight away. This shambles reminds me why I wont support the FAIs national team.
    I used to go to them all, but can't bear to give them more money so stopping this season. Might go to one to see the new stadium. Thank god the IRFU were involved with the stadium, if it was the FAI clowns alone we'd end up with something like this

plough1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I used to go to them all, but can't bear to give them more money so stopping this season. Might go to one to see the new stadium. Thank god the IRFU were involved with the stadium, if it was the FAI clowns alone we'd end up with something like this

I've a feeling that this is very much the final straw for me as a paying supporter of the Irish team. Have been loyalish for the last 24 years and even forked out for every overpriced home game (and every friendly) of the last campaign as part of a subscription but no more.

I'll get to see the Aviva when the FAI cup final is played there.

Enough is enough. I can no longer give money to a national association that pisses all over our league in order to prioritize the national team and so badly abdicates its duty to promote the local game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I read this far:
    FAI issue statement...
    Reading beyond that is pointless

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

It seems to me that all friendlies in Ireland involving major international club teams have to be played in the Aviva stadium or else in or around Dublin where a critical mass of fans are.

Fans down the country, in Limerick, Galway, Sligo or Cork even would be put at a disadvantage by the FAI third party deal.

It's a complete disgrace and a complete monopolising of Friendly fixtures by the FAI/third party agents.

Just when will the FAI start putting all fans first?

Delaney out!

Delaney told Marian Funucane it was essentially an issue of money.

Now the FAI release a statement denying it has anything to do with money.

Which is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Its all about the Fai being in talks to have Barca play at the Aviva and if they sanction the Limerick game then Barca wouldnt come over for a second game. Was the FAI already in talks with Barca before Limerick approached them? Did Limerick just jump the gun a bit?
    All in all, it would be good if these large friendlies was able to be played all over the country and the Barca game would have tied in nicely with Limerick's sporting programme this year. I was down there a few weeks ago and i passed a sign saying Sporting Limerick and i thought that would be a good name for a football team :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I'm voting with my feet.

Not going to any more Ireland games.

Not buying their 10 year ticket.

Goodbye FAI. You don't deserve my support.

(I will still support Bohs)

This third party agent the FAI are involved with sounds like the freemasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Knowing the FAI, Delaney is probably the one behind the 3rd party company, would not be surprised at all.

• Advertisement

http://www.kentarogroup.com/index.php?id=35

The Republic of Ireland have signed a long-term agreement with Kentaro, who will also organise glamour friendly matches of Giovanni Trapattoni´s men against Brazil and Argentina in 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

bohsman wrote: »
    http://www.kentarogroup.com/index.php?id=35

The Republic of Ireland have signed a long-term agreement with Kentaro, who will also organise glamour friendly matches of Giovanni Trapattoni´s men against Brazil and Argentina in 2010.

mk2_kintaro.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Nice one FAI.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0518/limerick_barcelona.html

Limerick released a statement to the media that read: 'It is with regret that Limerick FC wish to confirm that FC Barcelona have confirmed in writing to the club this evening, Tuesday May 18th, that they are no longer in the position to keep open the agreed date of July 31st for the proposed friendly match in Thomond Park.'

The statement continued: 'Therefore the proposed friendly match between both clubs will not now go ahead despite the fact that a heads of agreement had been reached between both parties.

Limerick FC have been informed by FC Barcelona that the only reason that this match is not going ahead is the decision of the Airtricity League Director & the FAI not to sanction the proposed match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

The funny thing is that The airtricity game with United goes ahead the same night as Bohs are due to play in champions league game.
    Bohs to be fair are holding firm and are refusing to move fixture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The FAI are in serious hock because of Aviva and strong-armed Limerick out of the game. End of.

All the stuff about clashes with games, third-party agreements and the money going back to the grassroots is horse poo. There is a large Aviva-sized hole in the FAI coffers that must be plugged and until then, clubs be damned.

John Delaney said it is down to money. But did say clubs should consult with FAI if they wanted to stage friendly.
    So not sure if Limerick did that. Again though I find it odd they are holding United game on day Bohemians are due to play their champions league qualifier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Just in time for the vote for the FAI merger to continue with the LOI or not. Hopefully they'll be turfed out now so we can go back to suspensions that make sense most of the time and maybe even some flares :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The Bohs thing is only a possibility, should they progress fromt heir initial game. However, FAI said they will request the game be brought forward 24hrs should they clash. Fenlon has said no way no how will that happen and he is 100% correct.

There is no LOI fan should attend that Man Utd game.

Fools And Idiots

I agree there. If FAI is serious about supporting league putting the game up against a league of ireland selection against United team just flies in the face of logic.
    Fair play to Fenlon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

What I don't get is why they didn't reduce the capacity for Thomond and increase the ticket prices?
    League clubs have backed Limerick in seeking the details of the ever-changing clause in an agreement with a third-party company that blocks the FAI from sanctioning a friendly with an attendance in excess of 15,000. The FAI cite the Participation Agreement with the clubs, which ends next year, as the justification for their position, but the clubs are looking into a potential conflict of interest in the association's position and have sought advice from the Competition Authority.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/the-real-cost-of-the-aviva-stadium-2184726.html

Seems to imply that it's only for attendances over 15,000 that this agreement kicks in.

Reduce capacity of Thomond by 25% from 20,000 to 15,000, increase ticket prices just over 25%, say €50 up to just over €65, and the numbers match. Well, in terms of gate receipts, and the FAI have no reason not to rubber stamp it. Realistically, people will pay whatever you had asked for to see a Barcelona team guaranteed to be playing some of the stars literally on their doorstep.

Something doesn't add up. (Other than my math, of course).

Töpher wrote: »
    What I don't get is why they didn't reduce the capacity for Thomond and increase the ticket prices?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/the-real-cost-of-the-aviva-stadium-2184726.html

Seems to imply that it's only for attendances over 15,000 that this agreement kicks in.

Reduce capacity of Thomond by 25% from 20,000 to 15,000, increase ticket prices just over 25%, say €50 up to just over €65, and the numbers match. Well, in terms of gate receipts, and the FAI have no reason not to rubber stamp it. Realistically, people will pay whatever you had asked for to see a Barcelona team guaranteed to be playing some of the stars literally on their doorstep.

Something doesn't add up. (Other than my math, of course).
    yeah but who is going to pay the extra money. Not the way to go IMO

• Advertisement
Advertisement