Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAI block Barcelona playing Limerick FC in Thomond Park.

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

They have my contact details anyway.
    They'll contact me back if they are going ahead with a show on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Probably still singing his own praise and thinking he is bigger than the catholic church after the good Friday thing.

Mr Mayor is in America im informed, 10 days of a holiday in fact. Probably unaware of the millions that the region has lost.

SF's Mr Q seems to be the only one with an interest from the start, if im wrong ill hold my hands up but from what I can tell thats it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0518/limerick_barcelona.html
    Limerick confirm Barcelona friendly is off

Limerick FC have been informed by FC Barcelona that the only reason that this match is not going ahead is the decision of the Airtricity League Director & the FAI not to sanction the proposed match.

'The initial decision of Airtricity League Director & the FAI was not changed despite an email request by FC Barcelona to FAI officials on the night of Monday 17th May that confirmed their desire to go ahead with the match with Limerick FC and stated their disagreement with the decision not to sanction the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

It'd serve the FAI right if everyone boycotted the Irish friendlies next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It's a travesty that its come to this. Another stain on the FAI administration.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

vkid wrote: »
    peoples should start emailing info@fai.ie

This is the message that I sent them:

Congratulations!
    The FAI has single handedly convinced me that the stereo type of the drunken, thick, paddy mick is absolutely true.
    I don't even care about football, but this piece of absolute numb scullery is simply too great to ignore.
    I used to think that the Irish only look after themselves, everyone can take a running jump and as long as my pockets are lined, sure isn't it grand.
    It took me years to overcome this, until the FAI made a decision of such monumental stupidity and idiocy that I can only call gombeenism and thick mickery on that.
    I hope the absolute dregs of humanity that make up the FAI get no luck and happiness from their decision, that their cars break down, their friends and family leave them and they get tossed onto the street where passers by can spit at them.
    Well maybe at least Barcelona get to go to a proper country instead. One that is run by intelligent beings, rather than thick redneck gombeen farmers that have taken out 5 minutes from drinking and milking the cows to make a decision over a matter they don't understand that has consequences they cannot even guess at, ah sure she'll be grand, ah be grand now, begorrah, where's me pint...
    No luck, all the worst, zero regards and may you all stub your little toe on an extremely sturdy table leg whilst barefoot,

Jochen Stacker,
    Ennis,
    Co Clare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    It'd serve the FAI right if everyone boycotted the Irish friendlies next week.

I for one will be boycotting both next week's friendlies and every single other match played in that Aviva white elephant of theirs (even though we own half of it really, having contributed €191 million in taxes towards its construction), I told them as much both on the phone today and in the below email I sent them this afternoon:
    Subject: Happy Now?

Are you happy now, looks like you've got what you wanted:

Limerick FC cancel Barca clash

I personally will never be attending a home Republic of Ireland match again, I have given too much money to your incompetent organisation down through the years.

You can take it that you've lost another customer. CUSTOMER is right because that's all we are in your eyes.

Yours in disgust,

James Gaffney,

Limerick

Limerick FC taking the FAI to court over the Barcelona friendly fiasco on January 31st- on the back page of the Star today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

osarusan wrote: »
    Limerick FC taking the FAI to court over the Barcelona friendly fiasco on January 31st- on the back page of the Star today.

Class, hope they win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Bout time someone took Delaney on and I hope they win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

I woulld like to see them get somehwere with this case but I dont see it making a blind bit of differnce to that muppet delaney , will be brushed under the carpet and forgot about.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/fai-look-to-hold-talks-with-limerick-over-barca-fixture-fallout-2505458.html
    THE FAI have made informal attempts to arrange discussions with Limerick after the Shannonsiders applied to the High Court to seek arbitration on their case against the association's decision to block a friendly match with Barcelona last summer.

Limerick had lined up the Catalan giants to visit Thomond Park, and have presented papers which prove that stars such as Lionel Messi and Xavi were lined up to play at least 45 minutes of the game.

Full article available on the link.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It goes to show that normal process in Ireland does not apply.
    When some crony bastards have made up their mind to shaft you, an appeal to the same body is a joke.
    It's cute hoorery of the highest order, begrudgery, daren't you get on, thick mickery and having a laugh at the big thickos from the country.
    Now it's time to step on these slimeball's toes and keep doing it.
    Mess with us, we'll mess with you!

Apparently Limerick have been granted their request to have the case/complaint/dispute dealt with by a court-appointed arbitrator.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0201/1224288693589.html
    SOCCER: THE FAI were obliged yesterday to agree to arbitration with Limerick over its decision last May to refuse the club permission for a fund-raising friendly game against Barcelona at Thomond Park.

The association had sought to keep the dispute in-house but finally agreed to go to arbitration under the 2010 Act after the club, which claimed its attempts to progress the case had previously been ignored, had sought to have the High Court direct it to do so.

Maurice Collins SC, who overruled the league when asked to consider its handling of a dispute which arose when Bohemians fielded a player who should have been suspended in 2006, will oversee the process.

Limerick, it is believed, will contend the FAI should be prohibited under competition law from banning the playing of friendly games in venues with a capacity of 15,000 or more. This effectively leaves it in control of the only ground in the country where such games could be played.
    FAI Statement

Monday, January 31, 2010

The Football Association of Ireland today (Jan 31) confirmed to the High Court that it and Limerick FC have agreed to enter mediation. The FAI regrets that money spent on this course of action will be lost to the sport. What is decided during the mediation process with Limerick FC could have broader ramifications for the funding and development of football at all levels.

ENDS
    I hope that the FAI's suggestion that the process will impact on funding is an admission that they'll be forced to compensate Limerick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

osarusan wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0201/1224288693589.html

I hope that the FAI's suggestion that the process will impact on funding is an admission that they'll be forced to compensate Limerick.

Knowing them it's a threat to pull the plug on funding unless we comply like good little boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Fair play to all involved, clubs at all levels have been afraid of standing up to the FAI for too long due to having them over a barrel regarding funding.

Fact still remains that this town and the mid west lost out on millions and too many people in power sat their with there finger up their arse, and still do.

Advertisement