Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore T.C. - Keoghan V Power

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

More on their squabble here:
    http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/story/?trs=mhcwqlcwkf&cat=news

I don't know why they can't give Cllr. Keoghan the answer she wants about the report. And it's really petty of Cllr. Power to be accusing her of looking for publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

Cllr. Keoghan wanted to run in the last local election on the Labour ticket but Paddy Callaghan didn't want another Labour candidate taking from his poll! Cllrs. Keoghan and Power may both have been elected on a FG ticket but they clearly don't sing from the same hymn-sheet

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ironic whats being shouted about. Its in a lot of local media now, a big deal is being made out of it and I don't see the councilors refusing to comment or putting the issue to bed. Seems a publicity stunt in itself nearly.

Whats the big deal with responding and giving the councilor what she wants? One would have assumed all other councilors would want to be sure all was in order and done correctly. I wouldn't say she didn't trust the town manager by requesting specifics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tbayday

Hear hear Sully...Surely questions should be answered when asked.Isn't that the role of public representative... I guess you've all seen the link uploaded by alphasounds re:sewage discharge in the pier this weekend. Pretty ironic considering the comments made at at the last Town Council meeting. Hope they can sort this pollution out once and for all!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

tbayday wrote: »
    Hear hear Sully...Surely questions should be answered when asked.Isn't that the role of public representative... I guess you've all seen the link uploaded by alphasounds re:sewage discharge in the pier this weekend. Pretty ironic considering the comments made at at the last Town Council meeting. Hope they can sort this pollution out once and for all!

Thats pretty much how I see it. Its what she was elected to do and she would want something more concrete then what she was given. Its no biggy, no need to throw the toys out of the pram for asking.

Despite all this, as you mentioned, the problem isn't going away (http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055911855).

Is there some sort of "If I say X, you agree with me" in the council chambers? They are each elected to represent Tramore, and thats exactly what should be done. There should be no problems with someone doing it. It should not be about publicity stunts and soaking up all the media attention that arises. If publicity is what is given for doing your job correctly - so be it.

End this nonsense and let the woman do what she was elected to do. Is it any wonder why young people are disillusioned with politics with this type of nonsense going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 jumpedupjohn

Just to correct a few things. Keoghan never had any desire to become a fully fledged politician. Having been involved with Labour Party campaigns since the age of 17 and after working on two democratic campaigns in the US, (GORE 2000 and Paul Wellstone 2002) she joined Labour after returning from the US. The Labour Party asked Keoghan to stand on the same night Brian O'Shea celebrated his victory as TD in the 2007 GE. Paddy O'Callaghan had nothing to do with Keoghan running or not running in LE. After Keoghan raised an issue at Constituency AGM it was O'Shea that decided the fate of Keoghan, i.e. she would never run. O'Shea is the grand master of Labour in Waterford and is the Chairman of the Labour Party itself and close to the ear of Gilmore. What was Labour's loss was FG's gain. Keoghan felt she could take the seat and did so.

Just to correct a few things. Keoghan never had any desire to become a fully fledged politician. Having been involved with Labour Party campaigns since the age of 17 and after working on two democratic campaigns in the US, (GORE 2000 and Paul Wellstone 2002) she joined Labour after returning from the US. The Labour Party asked Keoghan to stand on the same night Brian O'Shea celebrated his victory as TD in the 2007 GE. Paddy O'Callaghan had nothing to do with Keoghan running or not running in LE. After Keoghan raised an issue at Constituency AGM it was O'Shea that decided the fate of Keoghan, i.e. she would never run. O'Shea is the grand master of Labour in Waterford and is the Chairman of the Labour Party itself and close to the ear of Gilmore. What was Labour's loss was FG's gain. Keoghan felt she could take the seat and did so.

Thanks for the background and clarification. Welcome to Boards, hope to see you posting :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Westwindse wrote: »
    Your thoughts please

Round one to Keoghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭flan59

it was O'Shea that decided the fate of Keoghan, i.e. she would never run. .

Was that not what he also did to a former Labour then Fianna Fail now Independent member on the Town Council, when he would not allow him to run for the County Council as a Labour Candidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Westwindse

More on their squabble here:
    http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/story/?trs=mhcwqlcwkf&cat=news

I don't know why they can't give Cllr. Keoghan the answer she wants about the report. And it's really petty of Cllr. Power to be accusing her of looking for publicity.

Agree completely
    Guramoogah wrote: »
    Cllr. Keoghan wanted to run in the last local election on the Labour ticket but Paddy Callaghan didn't want another Labour candidate taking from his poll! Cllrs. Keoghan and Power may both have been elected on a FG ticket but they clearly don't sing from the same hymn-sheet

There is one thing that I had difficulty with during last years LE. How could a candidate from a left background (Lab) even consider joining a right wing party like FG? In theory they should be polar opposites....
    Sully wrote: »
    Ironic whats being shouted about. Its in a lot of local media now, a big deal is being made out of it and I don't see the councilors refusing to comment or putting the issue to bed. Seems a publicity stunt in itself nearly.

Whats the big deal with responding and giving the councilor what she wants? One would have assumed all other councilors would want to be sure all was in order and done correctly. I wouldn't say she didn't trust the town manager by requesting specifics.

Agreed, but it would seem some councillors would be happy to overlook some issues as it may damage the town`s reputation. What about the long term damage if there is a problem and it is not resolved??
    Sully wrote: »
    Thats pretty much how I see it. Its what she was elected to do and she would want something more concrete then what she was given. Its no biggy, no need to throw the toys out of the pram for asking.

Despite all this, as you mentioned, the problem isn't going away (http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055911855).

Is there some sort of "If I say X, you agree with me" in the council chambers? They are each elected to represent Tramore, and thats exactly what should be done. There should be no problems with someone doing it. It should not be about publicity stunts and soaking up all the media attention that arises. If publicity is what is given for doing your job correctly - so be it.

End this nonsense and let the woman do what she was elected to do. Is it any wonder why young people are disillusioned with politics with this type of nonsense going on?

I believe you are correct. I admire anybody who will stand up against the odds. Keoghan is absolutely right as an elected representative for the town. I have to say that I believe Power feels threatened and vunerable. O`Sullivan tends to stay out of the limelight but does huge work on the ground and is respected for this. Poor Tom `thumb` Raine seems to be a lap dog for Power by all accounts (this would appear to be correct in relation to the Council meeting in question, he immediately backed up Power whilst O`Sullivan didn`t get involved). I think Power was damaged by her actions after the LE last year with regard to the `McCartan Principle`and the way Power backtracked on her initial agreement to the Principle for the good of the FG party, not the town.
    Deise Tom wrote: »
    Round one to Keoghan.

Can`t wait for round two:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement