Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kittens in the garden

Options
  • 13-05-2010 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I'm looking for some advice. A Cat has given birth to her kittens in my boyfriends back garden, they have some shelter but it's not completly covered so it's not ideal. We think the cat has a home because she's pretty tame. Is it best to leave them alone and let the cat get on with it or should we try and get the lot of them to the ISPCA?
    I would actually like to adopt a kitten myself so if they are brought to the ISPCA would I be able to leave them there for spaying, neutering, worming etc and then go back and give one of them a home or would i be expected to just keep one do all that myself?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Well if you wanted one then you might have to pay an adoption fee anyway, so I'd just keep it and pay for the neutering and all yourself. Also they can't be neutered til at least 3 months, and they can leave the mother at 2 months.

What is the shelter like? Can rain get in to them? If you could give them better shelter like a small kennel or a blanket (but make sure it's dry every night or wash and dry it) or bring them in the house it would help them. And the kittens will need handling when they get a bit older to tame them. The mom will need lots of food too. If you feel like you can look after her and the kittens then you could keep them there until they're older, but if you don't think you can then I'd call the ISPCA. Unless the ISPCA would put them down or something, but they have a mother . . . does anyone know would they keep them?

I'd maybe ask the neighbours or put up "found cat" posters and say she just gave birth, to see if you can find the owner who can take the kittens back. My cat gave birth in my neighbour's greenhouse and just came home thin and I had to follow her for two hours through fields and people's back gardens to find the kittens! Good thing I did though because there were rats around and they might have overheated, and they would have been feral if I didn't bring them home.

Also what county are you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

I would love to take one but cant...how are the little ones getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭corryworry

It's in county Longford, I think I'll make some posters up looking for the owner, thanks for that idea!
    They are all doing fine, I forgot to mention that one must've died at birth :-( I think the mother must've taken it away though cause it's gone now. I'm not as worried now as i was, they seem to be doing really well and the mother is still taking care of them. :)

Oh that's good. The mums know what to do, all they need is lots of food to help them! :) Often one dies at birth, the mother probably did take it away. But it's good the others are all doing well :)

It'll be lovely in a few weeks when they're all running around! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement