Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike advice - 1000 euro ish, carbon frame?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

do you guys on here that have the planet x bikes have the wheels which come with the bike or have you upgraded to different ones??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

ipodrocker wrote: »
    do you guys on here that have the planet x bikes have the wheels which come with the bike or have you upgraded to different ones??

The Planet-X wheels have an excellent reputation, plenty of positive comments on this board and in reviews from the likes of bikeradar.

The Ritchey wheels that come with the boardman, on the other hand, don't have such a good reputation but excellent upgrade available here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Yes, I opted for the model B wheelset, from memory I think they are around 1600g - only had them on about 2-3 months but never had a problem with them, nice for climbing the hills etc, and seemed strong enough to handle our crap roads. But I have a set of cosmic carbone on her now, just because I think they look and sound cool :pac:

but to answer your question, no real need to upgrade those wheels if your happy with them, certainly outperformed me anyway:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭olmo

Whats wrong with the Boardman wheels?Is it the rims, spokes or hubs? If its just one of the above I might consider replacing 1 part rather than buy complete wheels.

anoble66 wrote: »
    but to answer your question, no real need to upgrade those wheels if your happy with them, certainly outperformed me anyway:rolleyes:

great to hear i had read the reviews and was looking to hear from people who own them.

I think this is my final question!

In terms of pedals for the planet x what do you have, i wont be doing racing so the pedals being sure light is not that important but obviously like some decent pedals which will last a good length of time and also look cool on the bike :D

olmo wrote: »
    Whats wrong with the Boardman wheels?Is it the rims, spokes or hubs? If its just one of the above I might consider replacing 1 part rather than buy complete wheels.

There was a problem with the spokes, see comments from users in this review. However, judging by the updated review of the '10 bike this may well have been rectified!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Davemcfar

There was a problem with the spokes, see comments from users in this review. However, judging by the updated review of the '10 bike this may well have been rectified!

Yes the newer ones are alot better, and fairly light too,

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Well done davemcfar happy cycling on it. I dropped into Halfords in Coolock today. Guy told me I can get the Axa 15% discount but not with the bike to work scheme!I dont see why I cant as they get paid either way.Ill check in another Halfords store and see what they say.

Hiya Olmo, congrats on the new bike, will have to hook up for a northside spin soon. Just wondering did you get anywhere with the AXA discount/BTW scheme arguement. I'd asked in Coolock too. They said I could get the AXA discount only on the part over €1000. How are you finding the carbon?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭olmo

Hows it goin littleredspot. Yeah no Axa discount with the bike to work scheme but I still got 10% off so I'm happy with that. I got mine in Halfords in Swords from Kris (Polish guy who races) so he knows his stuff and took time to explain everything to me. Goin to take it out now for a spin around the airport.Its half the weight of my Olmo and it has a granny gear!I'll be flying up Howth!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Davemcfar

Hows it goin littleredspot. Yeah no Axa discount with the bike to work scheme but I still got 10% off so I'm happy with that. I got mine in Halfords in Swords from Kris (Polish guy who races) so he knows his stuff and took time to explain everything to me. Goin to take it out now for a spin around the airport.Its half the weight of my Olmo and it has a granny gear!I'll be flying up Howth!

Yeah the frame is sweet. My last bike was also an olmo, thought that was good, but the boardman is miles ahead and light as a feather.
    Just put a nice carbon seatpost on it yesterday, Happy days !

now is ebay the best bet for finding pedals at a good price???

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amused2death

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

now is ebay the best bet for finding pedals at a good price???

maybe but try the usual suspects wiggle crc and probikekit as well

(wiggle currently selling keo sprints at £55 )

i saw them i was looking for either black or silver pedals to fit nice with a planet x.

• Advertisement

its what i use (the keo max 2 i bought hurt my knees sitting in the box)

they have a composite body which wears though (but mine are a few years old and still fine)

oh good, as i cant see myself spending 100quid on pedals!

they are on my list then! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

they have a composite body which wears though (but mine are a few years old and still fine)

You interested in selling the keo max 2 pedals Ednwireland? What would you be looking for them and are they the black carbon max 2 pedals, standard 4.5 degree float cleats?

why did they hurt your knees?

You interested in selling the keo max 2 pedals Ednwireland? What would you be looking for them and are they the black carbon max 2 pedals, standard 4.5 degree float cleats?

plain boring look keo max 2
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42884
    might take 75 for them have 2 sets of cleats (grey 4,5 deg )
    why did they hurt your knees?

no idea had a bout of tendonitis last year, and every time i try and ride on the keo max 2 the tendon flares up, cant figure it out go back to the old pedals can pedal all day just odd really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

plain boring look keo max 2
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42884
    might take 75 for them have 2 sets of cleats (grey 4,5 deg )

Thanks, will probably hold out for the carbon ones. Since the discount offered wouldn't really warrant a slightly used set I might as well go the whole hog and get carbon when spending that sort of money.

Thanks, will probably hold out for the carbon ones. Since the discount offered wouldn't really warrant a slightly used set I might as well go the whole hog and get carbon when spending that sort of money.

enjoy the 8g ;)and the extra bearing i think no worries hadnt really thought about getting rid yet (they are actually warranty replacementd 34km on them)

hi is there any boardsie around dublin 18 area or close by that has a planet x carbon large or medium frame?

i am about to order but unsure on the size to get, im anyone could help send me a pm or post here.

hi is there any boardsie around dublin 18 area or close by that has a planet x carbon large or medium frame?

i am about to order but unsure on the size to get, im anyone could help send me a pm or post here.

iPod you should use the guidance on the planet X site on suitable frame sizes..

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRPXNA/nanolight-carbon-fibre-frame-with-fork-and-headset

Are you looking at getting a frame only or built up bike? Which carbon frame are you interested in?

iPod you should use the guidance on the planet X site on suitable frame sizes..

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRPXNA/nanolight-carbon-fibre-frame-with-fork-and-headset

Are you looking at getting a frame only or built up bike? Which carbon frame are you interested in?

getting built bike, i see from the sizing guide i will prolly suit a large frame just wondered any one in the area who has a medium just to double check.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/PBPXPCSRRI/sl-pro-carbon-road-sram-rival

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Where do you live?

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Where do you live?

live in dublin 18, near foxrock church.

live in dublin 18, near foxrock church.

Oh, round the corner from me so! Pop out and have a look if you like. I live on Brighton road.

For the price range the weight is suprisingly low at 7.4kg. It seems a good buy with very good value for money. Worth checking with people with practical experience with this frame.

sweet! are you around tomorrow evening for me to pop in have a quick look?

• Advertisement

sweet! are you around tomorrow evening for me to pop in have a quick look?

If it's before 5pm, otherwise all day friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ShevY

Hiya Olmo, congrats on the new bike, will have to hook up for a northside spin soon. Just wondering did you get anywhere with the AXA discount/BTW scheme arguement. I'd asked in Coolock too. They said I could get the AXA discount only on the part over €1000. How are you finding the carbon?

Just to let ye know I picked up a team carbon in halfords mahon point on sunday. Got the 15% off with the AXA discount. Off the total, so bike was €1060 on the day, hopefully €550 total with the BTW scheme. bargain! :D

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Oh, round the corner from me so! Pop out and have a look if you like. I live on Brighton road.

@Ipod, I have the Large and live nearby too so can meet up with you and Dirk if you like and let you compare both?

@Ipod, I have the Large and live nearby too so can meet up with you and Dirk if you like and let you compare both?

oh thats good Paul. Are you free tonight.

oh thats good Paul. Are you free tonight.
    PM Sent

Advertisement