Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think people are connecting to our wireless network

• 13-05-2010 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

We have Eircom Broadband (3mb, not that it matters, I guess). We use WEP protection.

I've noticed our speeds have been a bit slow recently, so I decided to check if anyone else was connecting. I have a Netopia 2247, and when I go into Expert Mode<Statistics<LAN, under the heading Devices on LAN it shows our Desktop, my laptop and two other devices named 'Imperator-PC' and 'Masa-PC' respectively.

We also have a PS3 (connected wirelessly), though I don't see that listed under 'Devices on Lan'. Does anyone know why?

Is there an explanation for this, as I'm not the most tech-savvy, or does it seem that someone is logging on?

If so, should I call Eircom when they open tomorrow, or is there something I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Get ready for a hell of a lot of people saying "its your own fault for using wep".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I presume 'Imperator-PC' and 'Masa-PC' are not in your house, and these are unknown to you?

WEP encryption may as well be no encryption at all, especially if you still have the default eircom password set. Switch that to WPA-PSK right now, as it's very likely that someone is using your connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Thanks guys.

I am (admittedly) clueless but after being told what type of security I needed, I changed it over to WPA , and there are now only the two computers that should be connected on there.

So far so good.

Is there anything else I should do, or is this WPA protection enough?

brophs wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

I am (admittedly) clueless but after being told what type of security I needed, I changed it over to WPA , and there are now only the two computers that should be connected on there.

So far so good.

Is there anything else I should do, or is this WPA protection enough?

Did you change the passphrase as well as changing the encryption? If so then you should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Karsini wrote: »
    Did you change the passphrase as well as changing the encryption? If so then you should be fine.

I did. I just changed it to a completely random string of characters.

Hopefully that will do it.

• Advertisement

I did. I just changed it to a completely random string of characters.

Hopefully that will do it.

Even better, that's how to do it! Prevents a dictionary attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭jack888

We also have a PS3 (connected wirelessly), though I don't see that listed under 'Devices on Lan'. Does anyone know why?

My xbox doesnt show up as a device either. I think its because the Eircom router is set up to give gaming consoles a public internet address as security doesnt matter and this will help speeds.

jack888 wrote: »
    My xbox doesnt show up as a device either. I think its because the Eircom router is set up to give gaming consoles a public internet address as security doesnt matter and this will help speeds.

I think the reason is that it reads the computer name from its network file sharing service. As a console doesn't have a computer name it doesn't have a name to show up. My Nokia N95 doesn't show up either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

iPhones show up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Emm... was it turned on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

We have Eircom Broadband (3mb, not that it matters, I guess). We use WEP protection.

I've noticed our speeds have been a bit slow recently, so I decided to check if anyone else was connecting. I have a Netopia 2247, and when I go into Expert Mode<Statistics<LAN, under the heading Devices on LAN it shows our Desktop, my laptop and two other devices named 'Imperator-PC' and 'Masa-PC' respectively.

Is there an explanation for this, as I'm not the most tech-savvy, or does it seem that someone is logging on?

If so, should I call Eircom when they open tomorrow, or is there something I should do?
    i also have wireless broadband
    just asking
    how far away from the house can the connection be picked up
    i had never thought of this in the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Depends on the location of the modem and the material your house is made from, I can get 45m away from our timber frame house and still get signal, also depends on the quality of the wireless antennae

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I'm surprised anybody can get a reliable connection with a 2247, I can't stay connected any more than 25 feet away. There is a pub near me where you can sometimes get the wifi from the pub next door - again it is not reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

goat2 wrote: »
    just asking

Maybe up to 1km if the other person uses a dish.

Above 500m to 1km, the standard WiFi timings won't work. 8km WiFi based links use modified software at both ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

An alternative to upping your secuirty level (try go to wpa2 if all your devices support it), is to do something like this guy:

http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/upside-down-ternet.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

goat2 wrote: »
    just asking

well my neighbours utv connection is about 10m away if even and i get full singal off it so tbh you can pick up on wifi a good bit away and yes i had permission to use it at the timme me voadafone DSL was uselss

jay93 wrote: »
    well my neighbours utv connection is about 10m away if even and i get full singal off it so tbh you can pick up on wifi a good bit away and yes i had permission to use it at the timme me voadafone DSL was uselss
    What do you mean by "10m"? 10 minutes away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

meters. They are about 10% bigger than a yard. about 33ft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

What do you mean by "10m"? 10 minutes away?

i mean meters lol as watty said!! any further than the distance i am from the house and the signal drops even if i go into my back garden the wireless would go.luckily i got my eircom back in after my awful service from vodafone so back up and running !!:D:D

watty wrote: »
    meters. They are about 10% bigger than a yard. about 33ft
    Oh,

*Slaps head in embarrassment lol*

• Advertisement
Advertisement