Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

North Korea announce WC squad

• 13-05-2010 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

North Korea have included three Japan-born ethnic Koreans in their 23-man squad for their first World Cup finals since 1966.
    Striker Jong Tae Se, who plays for Japanese J-League side Kawasaki Frontale and is known as 'the Asian Wayne Rooney' will feature this summer.
    The other two - Ahn Yong Hak and Ryang Yong Gi - also play in the J-League.
    Coach Kim Jong Hun's target is a last- eight spot, despite the Group G rivals being Ivory Coast, Brazil and Portugal.

Kim Myong-gil, Kim Myong-won (both Amrokgang), Ri Myong-guk (Pyongyang City); An Chol-hyok (Rimyongsu), An Yong-hak (Omiya Ardija), Cha Jong-hyok (Amrokgang), Choe Kum-chol (April 25), Hong Yong-jo (FK Rostov), Ji Yun-nam (April 25), Jong Tae-se (Kawasaki Frontale), Kim Hum-il (April 25), Kim Kyong-il (Rimyongsu), Kim Yong-jun (Pyongyang City), Mun In-guk, Nam Song-chol (both April 25), Pak Chol-jin (Amrokgang), Pak Nam-chol (April 25), Pak Nam-chol (Amrokgang), Pak Sung-hyok (Sobaeksu), Ri Chol-myong (Pyongyang City), Ri Jun-il (Sobaeksu), Ri Kwang-chon (April 25), Ri Kwang-hyok (Kyonggongop).

:eek: I don't have anything to say.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

world cup winner right there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Do they have Pak Nom-chal twice or is it two players?

Surprised they announced this wth foreign media able to get access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Mushy wrote: »
    Do they have Pak Nom-chal twice or is it two players?

Surprised they announced this wth foreign media able to get access.

Asking question? That's 25 years hard labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

JPA wrote: »
    North Korea have included three Japan-born ethnic Koreans in their 23-man squad for their first World Cup finals since 1966.
    Striker Jong Tae Se, who plays for Japanese J-League side Kawasaki Frontale and is known as 'the Asian Wayne Rooney' will feature this summer.
    Coach Kim Jong Hun's target is a last- eight spot, despite the Group G rivals being Ivory Coast, Brazil and Portugal.

Kim Myong-gil, Kim Myong-won (both Amrokgang), Ri Myong-guk (Pyongyang City); An Chol-hyok (Rimyongsu), An Yong-hak (Omiya Ardija), Cha Jong-hyok (Amrokgang), Choe Kum-chol (April 25), Hong Yong-jo (FK Rostov), Ji Yun-nam (April 25), Jong Tae-se (Kawasaki Frontale), Kim Hum-il (April 25), Kim Kyong-il (Rimyongsu), Kim Yong-jun (Pyongyang City), Mun In-guk, Nam Song-chol (both April 25), Pak Chol-jin (Amrokgang), Pak Nam-chol (April 25), Pak Nam-chol (Amrokgang), Pak Sung-hyok (Sobaeksu), Ri Chol-myong (Pyongyang City), Ri Jun-il (Sobaeksu), Ri Kwang-chon (April 25), Ri Kwang-hyok (Kyonggongop).

lulz, with the help of some nuclear weapons maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Disappointed that I Kick-Ball didn't make it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Meh, no matter what the people of North Korea will probably be told that they won it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Could there BE any more Kims?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

No place for Choe Myong-Ho? I'm surprised since he was being called the North Korean Cristiano Ronaldo... I know he picked up a 6 game international ban for bad behaviour but that should be up by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

George Hamilton + North Korean names = win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

oh danger here.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Lol, was just going to say the same thing. Of course Eamo will be the "expert" on North Korean Football!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

JPA wrote: »

*CENSORED * (*CENSORED *), *CENSORED * (*CENSORED *);*CENSORED * (*CENSORED *),*CENSORED * (*CENSORED *), *CENSORED *(*CENSORED *)*CENSORED * (*CENSORED *),*CENSORED * (*CENSORED *), *CENSORED * (*CENSORED *)*CENSORED * (*CENSORED *),*CENSORED * (*CENSORED *), *CENSORED * (*CENSORED *)

FYP :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Yeah I seriously pity the commentator that has to do their games. And as SantryRed said, the glorious leader will just tell the people that NK won it anyway, whatever happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Jimmy Magee could have a field day as well IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Should have Michael O'Muircheartaigh doing commentry ... I'm sure he would have some mad story about knowing the players families or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Yeah I seriously pity the commentator that has to do their games. And as SantryRed said, the glorious leader will just tell the people that NK won it anyway, whatever happens.

Well they are the exact same as south korean names in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Yes but the South don't eat each other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

North Korea were fairly popular in the 1966 World Cup. I might make them my team for the World Cup anyway. I always like the underdogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I wonder how many of the squad will actually return to North Korea after the tournament. Don't be surprised if there's a few claim asylum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

ARGINITE wrote: »
    Yes but the South don't eat each other!

No they eat dogs in Park's country. Could be worse...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

PDN wrote: »
    I wonder how many of the squad will actually return to North Korea after the tournament. Don't be surprised if there's a few claim asylum.
    Everbody has it all wrong, North Korea is actually Utopia, they just make everbody think its this big evil empire so they stay away so as to maintain their peace and serenity. Now off with you to the conspiracy theory forum!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

PDN wrote: »

Every one of them will go back, or their families will be in reeducation camps before they get in front of a microphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

North Korea were fairly popular in the 1966 World Cup. I might make them my team for the World Cup anyway. I always like the underdogs.

I was thinking of doing that too, might be fun goin to a pub in Dublin full of Brazilians or Portugese and shouting for North Korea

Might even get me one of these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Jimmy Magee + North Korean names = win

FYP.
    He struggles to say Berbatov at the best of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Johnny Giles is gonna pull a sicky on the days North Korea play. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Every one of them will go back, or their families will be in reeducation camps before they get in front of a microphone.
    And if they loose, we'll never hear of them again, due to a fatal crash in the middle of a nuclear test site... this IS North Korea we're talking about :D
    Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Might even get me one of these
    At a low low price of... one entire lifes wage in NK... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As none of us know what they look like even, they could send a squad of cyborgs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I was in Australia in 2006 when there was a Commonwealth Games in Melbourne and the participants from Sierra Leone all disappeared either the day before the games started, or the day before they were due to end.

The South African authorities are actually worried about asylum seekers arriving with the teams, but not only NK. They fear a lot of Sub-Saharan Africans will also use the WC as an opportunity to cross the border and attempt to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

aidan24326 wrote: »

He'll say he scored the winning goal.

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/WTARC/2004/ea_nkorea_06_16.html

I think his propaganda men also said he played a perfect game of golf against some ex US president?

• Advertisement

Anyone know what colour their jerseys are? Can't seem to find a clear answer online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Degag wrote: »
    Jimmy Magee could have a field day as well IMO.

I can see it now,

"Not since the great kung-fu master Bruce Lee have i ever seen an Asian man kick with such ferocity"

er... Okay Jimmy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Dónal wrote: »
    Anyone know what colour their jerseys are? Can't seem to find a clear answer online.

They wore red against Saudi Arabia anyway.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8106203.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Seems like they are taking a quite unusual step in order to ensure they have support:
    Chinese actors, musicians recruited to cheer on North Korean team at World Cup in South Africa

SHANGHAI, China -- Chinese actors and musicians have been drafted to cheer for North Korea during next month's World Cup.

The North Korean team has qualified for the tournament for only the second time and is hoping for a repeat of its surprise performance in 1966, when its team knocked out Italy and reached the quarterfinals.

But almost no one in North Korea can afford to travel to South Africa and those who do have the money are struggling to obtain visas.

In an effort to fill the empty seats, the Beijing office of the North Korean Sports Committee has begun to give tickets to Chinese fans.

So far, a group of about 1,000 Chinese fans -- including actors and musicians -- have been rounded up to attend the games against Brazil and Portugal, according to Xinhua, the Chinese government-run news agency.

Nick Bonner, a British filmmaker who has made a series of documentaries about North Korean football, said: "It is very possible that China will support North Korea in the World Cup.

"As Mao Zedong once said, 'The Chinese and the North Korean are as close as lips and teeth.' "

The team has been drawn in the "group of death" -- the name given to the toughest group of the tournament -- alongside Brazil, Portugal and the Ivory Coast.

The star of the team is likely to be Hong Yong-Jo, a striker who plays for FC Rostow in the Russian league.

Pundits have predicted that the team, which has already departed for its training camp in Switzerland, is likely to play defensively and hope to catch opposing teams by surprise on the counter-attack.

"They train like military troops. As a result, their stamina is probably the best in the world," said Taewoon Park, a journalist.

Bonner added: "I've just got back from Pyongyang and the North Koreans I spoke to were acutely aware that they have been put into a difficult group.

"But, as one of my North Korean friends told me, they have a saying there: 'Over the mountains, there are mountains.' "

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/Chinese+actors+musicians+recruited+cheer+North+Korean+team+World+South+Africa/3026611/story.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I'll go to the Brazil and Portugal games if they pay for my flights, tickets, food, 5* hotel and drink.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

likely to play defensively and hope to catch opposing teams by surprise on the counter-attack.

Gorilla Warfare tactics. I'm looking forward to this !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

for those who are interested..

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=167046014422

i'll have my north korean flag anyway, will have to find some friendly brazilians to watch the game with.
    it doesn't matter what happens, the front page of the paper will look something like this..

if you can download it, zoom in and read, it's a quality laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm surprised that Kim Il-sung was not in the squad

Even though he is dead 16 years he is still Eternal President and venerated by all, I assumed he would be playing left side of midfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I'm surprised that Kim Il-sung was not in the squad

Even though he is dead 16 years he is still Eternal President and venerated by all, I assumed he would be playing left side of midfield

He would be the Kim Jong-il of soccer. Kim Jong-il frequently shoots four or five holes in one in a round of golf while his father would score four of five goals per game.

The PGA and FIFA have deemed this illegal as they are far too good.

Advertisement