Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a question!

• 13-05-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Hi!

I got a scaffold piercing the other day and I am really happy with it. I love it! :D

However, I was wondering something. Instead of the piercer putting one long bar in it, she put two small ones in it until it heals and then I can go back in and get the long one inserted.
    I know some places do it this way and some don't so I was wondering which is most beneficial? Or is one better than the other? What's th reason for the different approaches?

A friend of mine said I should just put a long bar in myself now but I don't wanna go against the piercers advice.

CR

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

hmmm. Most places would put the one long bar in when getting that done. Mine did. It makes the alignment easier I think. With two barbells, there's a chance one hole could be off slightly, and when you go to get the long bar put in, it could cause it to become sensitive if it's putting pressure or twisting the ear slightly.
    Did the piercer explain as to why they did it that way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

First of all DON'T change the bar yet! Do as your piercer said and go back when it's healed. Scaffolds can take up to a max of 14 months to fully heal but that's in extreme cases. Just follow your aftercare and you'll be fine :)

There are pros and cons to piercing with 2 or 1 bars. Piercing with 1 bar can put a little bit of pressure on your ear and it may take longer to heal. Piercing with 2 bars relieves this pressure but can cause the holes to be mis-alligned. Maybe your piercer was just used to piercing with 2 bars. Did s/he ask beforehand which you'd prefer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

No. When I went in I was told that they only pierce with two. I could choose two bars or two rings.

She said it was to relieve any pressure and help healing but I wasn't aware that there were any benefits to it. Which is why I thought I'd ask all you lovely experienced people! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Hmm, that's a bit odd that they only offered to do it with 2. It doesn't make much of difference apart from the possibility of them going out of line. Best of luck with the healing anyways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

They put in two separate bars in until they feel the ear is ready because if the piercings are not healed up enough then the pressure would be too much for your ear to handle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 the wizzard

Most decent piercers will only use 1 bar as it is the only way to truely ensure that both piercings are exactly in line. Although the entrance holes(the holes on the inner of the ear shell) may look aligned, the outer holes may be slightly off meaning that when you insert the barbell there is unneccessary pressure being placed on the cartlige. 1 single bar means your piercer can realign the marks if they feel it that the first piercing is marginally off line.
    Rings also take longer to heal than bars due to the extra movents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

I got mine pierced with two barbells and it healed a dream. I recommend it, and I was impressed when my piercer suggested it. :)

Advertisement