Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is it!

Options
  • 14-05-2010 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Going to bite the bullet and get out early tomorrow morning to start running. (not far at first though!). I'm a 38 year old bloke who used to be very fit ( a long time ago ). Played soccer in the states on scholarship. I'm 14 stone 7 pounds and 6 ft tall. Drink about once a month (maybe a bottle of wine or a few pints). Non smoker. Have a takeaway probably once a week with junior and the wife.
    Watch this space and i'll tell you how i'm getting on.

Thanks for listening
    ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Well, that wasn't as hard as i thought it would be. Probably because i was going at such a slow pace. Left house at 5.50 and jogged down to local park and did 2 full laps, then jogged back. took about 20 mins. (i know that's slow). Probably 2 and a bit miles or so. Stretched before and after to fend off injury. Have to get my breathing right though as my bottom lip kept accumulating spit. (Is this the norm, when you start over?) Any input would be great, so feel free to post a tip or 2. Thanks for listening.
    Onward to day 2.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Congratulations on getting started! If you take a look through the threads on the main forum you'll find lots of beginner threads with good advice. The main things I'd say would be -

1. Make sure you're wearing shoes that are right for you. Go to a proper running shop, and get advice from someone who knows what they're talking about.

2. Look for a training programme you could follow. Lots of people - me included - used the couch to 5k programme to get started, or you could find another programme you like better. A programme will help you stick to realistic targets. It's easy at the beginning to either ramp up too fast and get injured/burn out or to stay at the same level too long and let things slide. (If you're doing couch25k, I recommend the Robert Ullrey podcasts)

3. If you're having trouble running the time/distance specified by the programme, slow down. Everyone runs too fast at the beginning, it takes a while to find a pace that you can run at consistently. Don't worry, that pace will get faster as you build up the miles.

4. Find a local race in the next few months (a 5k would be best) and set that as a target. Having a target keeps you motivated, and races are great fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

RayCun wrote: »
    Congratulations on getting started! If you take a look through the threads on the main forum you'll find lots of beginner threads with good advice. The main things I'd say would be -

1. Make sure you're wearing shoes that are right for you. Go to a proper running shop, and get advice from someone who knows what they're talking about.

2. Look for a training programme you could follow. Lots of people - me included - used the couch to 5k programme to get started, or you could find another programme you like better. A programme will help you stick to realistic targets. It's easy at the beginning to either ramp up too fast and get injured/burn out or to stay at the same level too long and let things slide. (If you're doing couch25k, I recommend the Robert Ullrey podcasts)

3. If you're having trouble running the time/distance specified by the programme, slow down. Everyone runs too fast at the beginning, it takes a while to find a pace that you can run at consistently. Don't worry, that pace will get faster as you build up the miles.

4. Find a local race in the next few months (a 5k would be best) and set that as a target. Having a target keeps you motivated, and races are great fun.
    Cheers raycun. Thanks for the tips;)

Advertisement