Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Megane Cabriolet? I want to buy one! Help!

Options
  • 14-05-2010 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hey people,

Having recently sold my Smart Car, I was looking around at cars around the €10,000 mark NO OLDER than 2006.

I'm interested in a lot of different makes & models such as:

.Honda Civic
    .MB C180
    .Audi a4

But I really like the look and spec sheet of the Megane Cabriolet Privilege.

Ive read a lot about leaking roofs and dodgy build quality, but I really really love the car and I've found a lovely one within my budget:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Megane/CABRIOLE/201017197825523/advert?channel=CARS

Please dont comment about the cars looks, I like it so it really doesnt matter. What I wanna know are the solid facts about the car.

What should I look out for?

I was advised to bring the car for a carwash but how on earth am I gonna ask the guy when Im test driving it?? LOL

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

1.5 litre is too weedy if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

If your hell bent on the Renault then go forth and take a test drive and perform whatever tests you feel are necessary to re-assure yourself about the car, I mean you will be parting with a lot of money with your purchase so you are completely entitled to thoroughly scrutinise the car's condition.

However, if you are open to change, the other cars which you have listed would be a lot more favourable IMHO

With the Honda Civic it's reliable, economical , looks great and they hold their value well.
    MB C180 - Comfortable and luxurious, however they are expensive to repair.
    Audi a4 - Similar comfort and quality to the MB but with high repair costs also.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

1.5 litre is too weedy if you ask me.

It's a 1.6 but it's still not quick. 2 litre from the uk is probably the best option, don't think they did a 2litre here. Op might well be happy with the 1.6 though. It's not going to break land speed records, but cruising around with the top down you generally don't need to be doing 100 mph +

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

A friend owned one and had constant problems with the roof. They sold it and lost a packet but it was the best option when the warranty was up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Looks a lovely car...

a) It's already had two owners (and has only done 27k miles) - would suggest that neither owner held it for too long - why?

b) NCT up in Aug '10 - would seller have same completed before you buy?

c) Will seller give guarantee and for what period?

Best of luck with it...

• Advertisement

pjmn wrote: »

a) It's already had two owners (and has only done 27k miles) - would suggest that neither owner held it for too long - why?

b) NCT up in Aug '10 - would seller have same completed before you buy?

c) Will seller give guarantee and for what period?

Best of luck with it...

Most folks who buy them new are minted so change cars frequently, second buyer may be a change car every 2 years person too, nothing unusual about that. It's a dealer so a warranty will be given.

OP, numerous reports of the roof shattering, Renault claim no probs :eek:
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=megane+cabrilet+roof+shattering&meta=&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Have a look around Renault forums for actual incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

This would be a much better option.

Has leather, parking sensors etc, is way better looking, nicer to drive and should be much less troublesome

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mini/Cooper/201015197649964/advert?channel=CARS

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

I know it's a 05 but seriously, choosing a Megane just because it's a year newer is madness. The whole point of a cabrio is that you look good in it and it feels special. The Megane is a humdrum family hatchback, as is the Astra, 206, Colt, 307 etc and just because a car has a foloding roof doesn't mean it's special.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I would also have serious doubts about a car with 2 owners and only 27k on the clock. Having said that it is a low milage for a 06 so may not be an issue.

I would disagree on servicing costs and repairs being expensive on the MB 180 as opposed to the Civic.

Having owned 2 of each for a number of years the costs were comparable. As always the main dealers were equally as pricey but the generic mechanics were reasonable.

Coupled with the fact that both were extremley reliable, it wasn't an issue and definately not prohibitive.

27k miles isn't at all a problem on an 06.

My sister traded in a 2006 car a few weeks ago and she was the second owner and the car didn't even have 15k miles on it...

+1 on the Mini - infinitely more desireable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Comparing Megane and Mini is like comparing apples and oranges, Mini has a fabric roof so security and vandalism would be an issue plus I personally think the Mini is over rated (courtesy of the Brit media), Megane has a folding Metal roof so security is not an issue PLUS Megane has rear seats that you can actually use! No point in having a cabrio if you can't bring your girlie friends with you!

• Advertisement

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Comparing Megane and Mini is like comparing apples and oranges, Mini has a fabric roof so security and vandalism would be an issue

In my buddy's experience it's all well and good having a metal roof...but when it doesn't want to close...:D;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

1st hand of a Megane that wouldn't close itself.

How much of a problem is vandalism on canvas roof nowadays? Maybe back in the 80s when people used to rob stereos.

Just did a search on irish mini club for the words vandal, vandalism, roof torn and nothing came up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

thanks for all the info guys.

I will book a test drive today.

Ive heard that the 1.6L is a bit underpowered, but to be honest I do seldom speed. I've had a 97 Polo, 07 Peugeot 107 and 07 Smart Brabus, all pretty small engined vehicles and I never had any problems with performance.

I'm a bit worried about leaking/failing roofs and poor quality interior though.

I know what to look out for now, thanks a lot guys! Will let you know how I get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

jayjay2010 wrote: »
    thanks for all the info guys.

I will book a test drive today.

Ive heard that the 1.6L is a bit underpowered, but to be honest I do seldom speed. I've had a 97 Polo, 07 Peugeot 107 and 07 Smart Brabus, all pretty small engined vehicles and I never had any problems with performance.

I'm a bit worried about leaking/failing roofs and poor quality interior though.

I know what to look out for now, thanks a lot guys! Will let you know how I get on!

a 1.6might not be fast , but i dont buy big engines to bomb off at 100+mph, i like the assurance that when i stick the foot down i can pass out idiots and slow drivers with relative ease, with more torque and more horses

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The MINI can be a strange one. The fabric of the soft tops is known to wear through on the roof members where they contact each other. It starts off as the black cloth going slightly grey from pressure, and then going all the way through. Only cure is a brand new soft top for 3000 Euro.

I put a brand new soft top on herself's convertible under warranty, so now that we're selling hers, finger's crossed it'll be a boon. One cool thing to know about the MINI's soft top, is that there's a sunroof built in. The first section of the roof folds back at up to 70mph. There's 2 colours in the
    MINI Cabio exclusive to the cabrio, one's Hot Orange, and the other's Cool Blue. With the roof up, you have almost as much room in the boot as a hatchback MINI, and with the roof down, it's almost essential to have the clip wind deflector to cut down on road noise - it cuts down on about 60% of wind noise with it up and in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

the trim i want is PRIVILEGE.

I drove a privilege megane today, but I dont think it had keyless entry, cd changer and music buttons on the steering wheel.

are these not standart pieces of equipment on the privilege trim?

Advertisement