Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"José Mourinho says he will coach Real Madrid 'sooner or later'"

• 14-05-2010 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

José Mourinho says he will coach Real Madrid 'sooner or later'

• 'I will coach a big team in Spain' says Internazionale manager
    • Portuguese attacks Italian football yet again

José Mourinho says he will coach Real Madrid "sooner or later" but refused to reveal when and denied he already has one foot in Spain.

The former Chelsea manager has led Internazionale to their first European Cup final since 1972 this season, but has been linked with a move away from San Siro.

"What they are writing that I have a foot half in Spain and half in Milan is false," he told the Italian magazine Panorama, owned by the Italian prime minister and Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi. "Sooner or later I will coach Real Madrid. I coached a big team in England, I am coaching a big team in Italy, and then I will coach a big team in Spain."

"I've won everything in three countries [Portugal, England and Italy], there's nothing missing for me. But it makes me laugh when certain club chairmen compare me to their coaches who haven't even won a Cup of Tuscany or Reggio Calabria."

The Portuguese has had a turbulent relationship with Italian football since taking over at Inter almost two years ago.

"People who come up to me and give me a pat on the back, smile and say, 'you're the best, you're great, keep going', and then as soon as they can they attack me," he said. "They ask me for an autograph, a photo with them and then suddenly they change. I don't like this, even some coaches do this."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/13/jose-mourinho-coach-real-madrid

I would welcome him, as long as he stays 3-4 years minimum. Hopefully Florentino Perez would recognise he is the best in the business, winning 2 Scudettos in a row and bringing Inter to their first European Victory in over 40 years.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

CorkMan wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/13/jose-mourinho-coach-real-madrid

I would welcome him, as long as he stays 3-4 years minimum. Hopefully Florentino Perez would recognise he is the best in the business, winning 2 Scudettos in a row and bringing Inter to their first European Victory in over 40 years.

Awwwww shucks I missed the final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

CorkMan wrote: »

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Think it could end in failure tbh. Mourinho is too big for Madrid in a way. I think he and the Boardroom simply would not get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Degag wrote: »
    Think it could end in failure tbh. Mourinho is too big for Madrid in a way. I think he and the Boardroom simply would not get on.

I could see this happening. He's very much a Brian Clough-like manager, who wants total, autonomous control over the club, and will always clash with the board/chairman.

Would wish him every success all the same...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

His record is phenominal.

Has anyone won the Premiership, La Liga and the Serie A as a manager?

I don't think so.

Here- actually has anyone managed to win the Champions league as a manager with two different teams?

I mean so far,

3 Premierships
    UEFA Cup
    Champions League
    2 Serie A
    Two Portugese titles

and a host of domestic cups.

If he wins in Spain will he try an international team?

Surely the dude could manage a National and International team at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

A marriage made in hell. No manager ever 'manages' the team whilst under Perez.
    Here- actually has anyone managed to win the Champions league as a manager with two different teams?

Ottmar Hitzfeld - Dortmund and Bayern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

In fairness, Mourinho at Madrid would be a disaster. Madrid don't want a manager, they want a Yes man. It's been like this from day one at the club. Their longest period with the same manager has been about 5 years, even in an era when Managers regularly stuck around for 10-15 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Id like to see how this would pan out for Jose.

I can see him having success at Real Madrid but at Real Madrid, anything short of total success in the league and Champions League would be considered failure.

It would be interesting to see though, especially the first El Classico at the Camp Nou.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Be pretty funny if Roma pipped them to the scudetto and Bayern won the CL. Won't happen, since Siena are rubbish.

But still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

madrids ideal manager is a robot tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Surely the dude could manage a National and International team at the same time.

The FAI should go for him :D:D;):p:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

madrid for a year and then united, i will be very surprised if that doesnt happen tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd hate to see him at Real Madrid because I'd prefer him in the Premier League. I'd hate to see him at United too, would much rather if he went to Liverpool or Man City. United have won lots over the last while, I'd prefer to see some other club have a good run now.

If Mourinho was allowed be his own man at Madrid, i could see him having unprecedented success. He would already have so many fantastic players at his disposal that he would really only have to concentrate on team morale, harmony and unity, something which this (and so many in the past) Madrid team lacks desperately.

It is amazing that the Board simply do not realise that there is more to success than simply buying the best players in the world. This year above all others should tell them this, but i doubt that it will. They will simply go looking for more galactico's when that should be the least of their problems.

Thats why Mourinho wouldn't work imo. There's no doubt that he would love to have Rooney, Torres, Messi or Pato in his squad, but would he like them shoved down his throat without even being consulted on their purchase? No he wouldn't because at Porto, Chelsea and now Inter he has built teams, not artificially put them together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If Real Madrid give Mourinho €50 million he will make that team close to unbeatable, its just defenders he needs only two really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

davyjose wrote: »
    Their longest period with the same manager has been about 5 years, even in an era when Managers regularly stuck around for 10-15 years.
    Wrong. Miguel Munoz was manager from 1960-1974.
    Degag wrote:
    It is amazing that the Board simply do not realise that there is more to success than simply buying the best players in the world. This year above all others should tell them this, but i doubt that it will. They will simply go looking for more galactico's when that should be the least of their problems.
    But they are actually a lot closer to Barca this year than they were last year so I can imagine they'll see it as a "success", in some way.

I can't see Mourinho lasting any significant amount of time there, if he were to go. He'd surely go mad with all Perez's messing around. Although, he did put up with Sheva for a year and a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Has anyone won the Premiership, La Liga and the Serie A as a manager?

Fabio Capello at the top of my head and Helenio Herrera won both La Liga and Serie A.

Wrong. Miguel Munoz was manager from 1960-1974.

But they are actually a lot closer to Barca this year than they were last year so I can imagine they'll see it as a "success", in some way.

I can't see Mourinho lasting any significant amount of time there, if he were to go. He'd surely go mad with all Perez's messing around. Although, he did put up with Sheva for a year and a bit.

Lets get this straight. Real Madrid's Directors and Fans don't view success as anything less than winning the Champions League and La Liga. Hell, Vicente Del Bosque won the league a few seasons back and was sacked for not winning the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

madrid for a year and then united, i will be very surprised if that doesnt happen tbh...

Beleive that would be the most likely situation.

Madrid is a 4 year pay cheque for one years work.

Give him the sevilla job tbh! let him create something magical for a change :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

eagle eye wrote: »
    If Real Madrid give Mourinho €50 million he will make that team close to unbeatable, its just defenders he needs only two really.

he needs players who do what they are told. Once Raul and Guti are gone hes quids in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    Fabio Capello at the top of my head and Helenio Herrera won both La Liga and Serie A.

Capello has never won the Premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Mourinho won Serie A, cup final and CL left.

Pellegrini was banned from setting up a last training session by the board.

Advertisement