Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mistaken lyrics

• 14-05-2010 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

Everyone does it - you sing a song along to the radio - and then years later someone tells you that, in fact, "Might as well face it, you're a dick with a glove," are not really the right words to the Robert Palmer song.

So what lyrics did you f*ck up for years without ever knowing you were doing so?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

Check it out... there's a word for this... they're mondegreens...

For all the lazy pucks out there; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondegreen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I used to think that song "suicide blonde" by inxs was " slip inside the bomb "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

In keeping with the Smiths theme: I was 10 when Morrissey released Everyday Is Like Sunday, and I thought he was singing Everyday He Tried To Sunbathe.

Well the lyrics do mention a seaside town...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there was a dance song out in the 90's with the line 'he's gotta be quick' but it sounded like 'he's got a big dick'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

"Call me, for a liiiiiiime, you can call me any day or night, call me"

• Advertisement

there was a dance song out in the 90's with the line 'he's gotta be quick' but it sounded like 'he's got a big dick'
    Oh yeah a dance mix of Tori Amos's Professional Widow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭molloyjazz

anyone know 'blinded by the light' by manfred manns earth band... well that songs says 'wrapped up like a DOUCHE' \0/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I used to think the lyrics to that song by The Black Eyed Peas were: "Where is the love?"

Which is frankly ridiculous when it's quite obvious that the lyrics are "Wear Us The Lourve".

Boy do I feel embarrassed. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Still don't know the name of this song but it's on the radio periodically - perhaps by the Counting Crows maybe.... I think it goes like this:

Male Voice "Put up a fcuk and lie!"
    Female voices: "fcuk fcuk fcuk!"

I know it can't be that because it'd be censored but it really sounds like he's saying "fcuk!"

Anyone to give me the proper lyrics gets thanked!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Paul Young singing '' everytime you go away , you take a piece of meat with you ''

(more like meat instead of me)

Jonny Nash singing '' I can see clearly now the rain has gone ''

( replace the rain with Lorraine )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

The Doors 'LA woman'

opening line

'we'll I did a little woman an hour ago'

actually

'we'll I just got into town an hour ago'

????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I used to think the chorus to "Blinded By The Light" by Manfred Mann was ....

"Blinded by the light . . . wrapped up like a douche" (instead of "reved up like a deuce").

I mean, who the hell wraps up a douche? "Her honey, I got you something for Christmas that I not only think you like, but you could also really do with."

Isn't there a Pavarotti song where he seemingly sings:

Finger! Finger! Finger! Finger! Finger! Finger! Finger! Finger! Finger!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

My girlfriend always thought that Verve song was called "The Trucks Don't Work."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Degag wrote: »
    Still don't know the name of this song but it's on the radio periodically - perhaps by the Counting Crows maybe.... I think it goes like this:

Male Voice "Put up a fcuk and lie!"
    Female voices: "fcuk fcuk fcuk!"

I know it can't be that because it'd be censored but it really sounds like he's saying "fcuk!"

Anyone to give me the proper lyrics gets thanked!

Big Yellow Taxi? "Put up a parking lot". Originally by Joni Mitchell I think.

This one is brilliant:

Latchy wrote: »
    Paul Young singing '' everytime you go away , you take a piece of meat with you ''

Brilliant.... "See you next weekend babe. I love ya loads and, ehm, I'll just take a few sausages with me to have on the train" !!!

"Blinded by the light . . . wrapped up like a douche" (instead of "reved up like a deuce").

I mean, who the hell wraps up a douche? "Her honey, I got you something for Christmas that I not only think you like, but you could also really do with."

it is douche.. 'wrapped up like a douche, another odor in the night'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭McGarnagle92

Possibly the most famous one when people may have thought Jimi Hendrix was a little gay.

'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

Real Lyric 'Scuse me, while I kiss the sky from Purple Haze.

There's an archive of misheard lyrics named after it :

http://www.kissthisguy.com/

Adyx wrote: »
    Big Yellow Taxi? "Put up a parking lot". Originally by Joni Mitchell I think.

This one is brilliant:

Nah, doubt it.

Parking lot doesn't sound much like fcuk!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6fS_7Yp0hY

Ok how do i embed a video!!
    1:45

"The way she brushed her hair and farted"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

My favourite mistaken lyric: don't cry tomato baybeh..........

who could forget about Graham throwing a rasher on the 45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Degag wrote: »
    Nah, doubt it.

Parking lot doesn't sound much like fcuk!

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

that bastard galway girl song that i hate

the real line is 'and her hair was black and her eyes were blue'

but i always sing 'and her eyes were black and her tits were blue'

Possibly the most famous one when people may have thought Jimi Hendrix was a little gay.

'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

Real Lyric 'Scuse me, while I kiss the sky from Purple Haze.

There's an archive of misheard lyrics named after it :

http://www.kissthisguy.com/
    Another one which reminds me of that is "I've been waiting for a guide to come and take me by the hand" (Disorder by Joy Division) - I think nearly everyone mishears "guide" as "guy" which sounds strange as the late Ian Curtis probably wouldn't have sung about that kinda malarkey. He was a bit uber blokey it appears...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6fS_7Yp0hY

Ok how do i embed a video!!
    1:45

"The way she brushed her hair and farted"

My Dad used to always prefer those lyrics!

My house mate used to think that "Shes got Bette Davis eyes" actually went "shes got better days aside".

She got some slagging over that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Everyone does it - you sing a song along to the radio - and then years later someone tells you that, in fact, "Might as well face it, you're a dick with a glove," are not really the right words to the Robert Palmer song.

So what lyrics did you f*ck up for years without ever knowing you were doing so?

When i saw the thread title before clicking on it, the first thing that came to mind was - "might as well face it, you're a dickhead in love".

Spooky shít.

I thought Madonna was being a bit non-PC when she sang 'Last night I dreamt of some dago' in "La Isla Bonita"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Favoutie one I've heard about is Bryan Adams "Summer of 69"

Had my first real six string became "Had my first real sex dream (played it 'til my fingers bled...)"

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

that bastard galway girl song that i hate

the real line is 'and her hair was black and her eyes were blue'

but i always sing 'and her eyes were black and her tits were blue'

i do the exact same thing to that song

Adyx wrote: »

OMG, you were right! How odd!

Thank you for clarifying. I also thought until this moment it was "wrapped up like a douche". Nonsensical I know, but I could not think of an alternative... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

I see you baby . . . chicken and egg; chicken and egg

(shakin' that ass)

i heard some auld lad singing it and he did say Deuce.. but the mannfred mann version is much better.. and will always be douche to me. Douche FTW!

I lived in Spain for a few years & used to have heated arguments with my Spanish mates about the lyrics to Beck's "Loser"... I was adamant (not Adam Ant - that would be a serious mondegreen!!) that the chrous was...

"Saw you walk out the door,
    I'm a loser baby, so why don't you kill me"

It took me a long time & a lot of learning of Spanish to concede that the lyrics were in fact..

"Soy un perdedor
    I'm a loser baby, so why don't you kill me"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

molloyjazz wrote: »
    anyone know 'blinded by the light' by manfred manns earth band... well that songs says 'wrapped up like a DOUCHE' \0/

Interesting tidbit; that song was written by Bruce Springsteen.
    I'll just point that out before Outlaw Pete does.

ascanbe wrote: »
    Interesting tidbit; that song was written by Bruce Springsteen.
    I'll just point that out before Outlaw Pete does.

I'm surprised you got in there before Pete did. Candy must be on Channel 907 tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I love this one...Ken Lee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

A friend of mine used to think that Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a prayer" was "livin' on a railroad"

• Advertisement

A friend of mine used to think that Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a prayer" was "livin' on a railroad"

isnt it great for him that the headshops are now banned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

i've heard people sing some words that just dont make sense in the song AT ALL!

whiskey in the jar

As I was goin' over the far famed Kerry mountains,
    I met with Captain Farrell, and his money he was countin'.
    I first produced me pistol and I then produced me "RAYGUN"

though my favourite one i've heard

nelly - ride wit me

if you wanna go and get high wit me
    smoke an L in the back of the benzie
    oh why must i feel this way
    (Hey Más é do thoil é )

wonton wrote: »

whiskey in the jar

[/B]

Oh dear - not only did I think it was 'Raygun' (until now when I just Googled it & saw that it is "rapier"), but I also thought that you f*cked up with "far framed Kerry mountains" - I always thought it was "Cork & Kerry mountains".

I'll get my coat.

I was speaking with a Chinese guy once & he blurts out that he likes the music of Cweam very much... I am surprised, but Cream was a great band (albeit one you don't hear much about these days) & started spieling (as I do) about Clapton & co...

He looks bemused.

He then tells me his favorite song by this 'Cweam' is: We Will Rock You.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

wonton wrote: »

whiskey in the jar

though my favourite one i've heard

nelly - ride wit me

if you wanna go and get high wit me
    smoke an L in the back of the benzie
    oh why must i feel this way
    (Hey Más é do thoil é )

In fairness, Nelly is a well known gealgoir, so it's an easy missunderstanding.

I was speaking with a Chinese guy once & he blurts out that he likes the music of Cweam very much... I am surprised, but Cream was a great band (albeit one you don't hear much about these days) & started spieling (as I do) about Clapton & co...

He looks bemused.

He then tells me his favorite song by this 'Cweam' is: We Will Rock You.

What an eejit. Everybody knows that Cweam's best song is "We Will Wok You". Duh!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

"The ants are my friends is blowin in the wind, the ants are blowing in the wind" I thought Dylan was a bit like Dougal "TED THE ANTS ARE BACK"!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Nick Dolan

In the middle of Messugahs song Rational Gaze (cracking good tune), the guy roars out, clear as a bell, I LIKE JUICE!! Check it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

Oh dear - not only did I think it was 'Raygun' (until now when I just Googled it & saw that it is "rapier"), but I also thought that you f*cked up with "far framed Kerry mountains" - I always thought it was "Cork & Kerry mountains".

I'll get my coat.

It actually is cork and kerry in some versions so you may stay for a few more minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

My version:

I've got a chick chick chicken in my head

Real version:

Got the time tick tick ticking in my head

• Advertisement
Advertisement