Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mistaken lyrics

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

MY DAD - the corrs song " give me a reason" he thought it was Jerry o regan which was his name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Cotton Eye Joe, from the mid 90's

The actual line is: "It hadnt been for cotton eye Joe, Id been married long time ago"
    Me and most people in school just went around saying "Bada dada da cotton eye Joe"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Foo Fighters - All my life

"I love it but I hate the taste"

I thought..

"I love it for the hippo taste..":pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

In Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar on Me, I always thought that they were saying, "Living like a lover with a red hot bone." It was years later I found out they were actually saying, "Living like a lover with a radar phone." In the context of the song, I think my version makes more sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

For ages I swore I could hear my name in a Jimmy Eat World song.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

And in Guns N' Roses' Think About You, there's a line that goes: there was a little left and babe you found it. But until I got around to reading the lyric sheet, I thought they were saying, I was a n****r-loving baby bandit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    kissthisguy credits it to Metallica and also The Misfits - Die Die My Darling

Cheers bud. I was singing this line to myself trying to get the next line and eventually i remembered "you're future's in an oblong box" then remember it was 'tallica :D

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

The classic lyric..... "Eezer Goode, Eezer Goode, He's Ebeneezer Goode"

People get the lyrics wrong all the time funny enough.
    He's so good, he's so good. He's up the knees so good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Yeah thats a good one. I remember someone or people tried to make a go of the chorus from sidewinder sleeps tonight.
    Line is "Call me when you try to wake her up. Call me when you try to wake her." which someone translated as something like "Colin wants jamaican rub". Lost in translation as the saying goes
    "Communists try to wake her up." That's a line that's just begging to be garbled!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SquirrelFace

The song Rubber Lover...
    I thought it said "F uck you on the way home...."

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

For ages I swore I could hear my name in a Jimmy Eat World song.

Same with me, but in a Moby song!

The song 'Greased Lightning' from the film Grease, I thought they were singing "Chips and cream, Greased Lightning!"

It's only years later I found out they're actually singing "The chicks'll cream for Greased Lightning" :eek: And I always thought it was a child-suitable film

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Fishie wrote: »

The song 'Greased Lightning' from the film Grease, I thought they were singing "Chips and cream, Greased Lightning!"

It's only years later I found out they're actually singing "The chicks'll cream for Greased Lightning" :eek: And I always thought it was a child-suitable film

All through these years, right up 'til der now when I read your post, I thought it was 'your chick's supreme':o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Fishie wrote: »

:eek: I'll have to listen hard next time I go to a school version of Grease. No way in hell they're teaching secondary kids the country over those lyrics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Some American Saw Doctor Virgins thought they were singing "Green and Red Tomatoes" when in fact, it's "Green and Red of Mayo".

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Nevore wrote: »
    :eek: I'll have to listen hard next time I go to a school version of Grease. No way in hell they're teaching secondary kids the country over those lyrics!

That's not the half of it! They also sing "You know that ain't no sh1t, we'll be getting lots of tit in Greased Lightning", and "You know that I ain't braggin' she's a real pussy wagon" I reckon they just sing it fast enough that most people don't notice! Maybe they have a different version of the song for school productions? I can't see them leaving it out, it's one of the best-known songs!

Anyway I was talking with a friend today about misheard lyrics, and she admitted getting the lyrics for Replay wrong... She was happily singing along to it as it played on the radio, singing "It's like my eyeball's stuck on my face..." :D Fantastic image! It's actually "It's like my iPod's stuck on replay"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Courtesy of my sister many moons ago

The Doors People are strange
    "when you're strange faces come out of the range"

Tony Carey A fine fine day (for a reunion)
    "A fine fine day for baby junior"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

From the Irish rover:

There was oul Mickey Coote
    Who played hard on his flute
    And the ladies lined up for a set

I always thought it was And the ladies lined up for the shag

Also misheard "Don't go chasing waterfalls" as "Go, Go, Jason Waterfalls"

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

Heard a guy on a nightout singing at the top of his lungs
    "Hold me close I'm tryin to dance herrreeee!" For tiny dancer by Elton John.

Made me laugh anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

xoixo wrote: »
    Brimful of Asha on the 45
    Well it's a brimful of Asha on the 45

-- Brimful of Rasher and a fork and knife

Also heard: Dean put a rasher on the 45

In fairness, it's not clear, loads of people mess up the lyrics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭paxo

McChubbin wrote: »
    Clown control to Mao Zidong. = Ground control to Major Tom.

Here am I pissin in a tin can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

"Please put a rasher on the....45" :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Console

Toto's Africa:

I always thought it was "I guess it rains down in africa..."
    while it was "I bless the rains down in africa...."

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Boom Boom Boom
    Castlebar is in Mayo
    Heyooooooo
    I said Boom Boom Boom
    Castlebar is in Mayo
    Heyooooooo

Girl your booty is so round
    Let let me look you up and down
    *****forgot this line*******
    I won't stop until your mine

And if I can not be with you
    Maybe I can have a taste
    Put your arms around me girl
    And your kiss on my face

Boom Boom Boom
    Castlebar is in Mayo
    Heyooooooo
    I said Boom Boom Boom
    Castlebar is in Mayo
    Heyooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kassilights

lookinbusy wrote: »
    Used to think this one was saying 'I wish I was a prawn cracker', I just thought she was bonkers, check it out..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc2jDz6w-r4

That's exactly what I thought she was singing!! :D Until the day my daughter heard me singing my version and cracked up laughing and enlightened me!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

At 1:40, I thought it was "Shooting cum and bubbles, she's a mongrel cnut" :eek:

At 0:51, "I need to sh*t tonight"

I didn't realise at the time that Falco sang his songs in German!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I used to mix up "If you steal my sunshine" for "You're still my sunshine".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk04-C_92ME&feature=related

As for the Grease Lightning up till now I assumed it was "chicks will scream".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

In The Offspring's "You're Gonna Go Far, Kid" - he sings "Dance, fcuker, dance!", but I saw a comment on youtube where someone thought it was "Dance, fcuk her tits!" and now that's all I can hear .

There's also a Fall Out Boy song (yeah, I know... :o) where he sings "In the back of yellow checkered cars, singing Yo-oh-oh..." but it sounds like "And the bad yellow chicken calls, You're a ho! woah-oh"

Oh, and a guy I know (who doesn't have English as his first language) used to sing "Relax, computer!" instead of "Relax, don't do it!" in the Frankie Goes to Hollywood song. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

The Passenger by Iggy Pop; he says "I am the passenger and I ride and I ride", I could've sworn it was "I ride the passenger" every time I sang it from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

"I'm gonna praise you like a shooooooe-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Our 6 yr old has been told that the famous Kings Of Leon song is actually called Socks is on Fire. :D

You should hear her sing it (LOUDLY) when we out cruising in the car.

yeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhh your SOCKS are on Firrrrrrrrrrreeee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Earthhorse wrote: »
    It's "We gotta be big".

No, Prof. Widow lyrics go...........honey bring it close to my, honey bring it close to my lips. It's gotta be big, it's gotta be big.

She is talking about willies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

"Theeeres a bathroom on the right...."

Instead of "Theres a bad moon on the rise" CCR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Thomas828 wrote: »
    He's so good, he's so good. He's up the knees so good!

There was controversy about this when it came it. Apparently, The Shamen were taking the mick and they were singing 'E's are good, E's are good' (as in the drug)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭oompaloompa

Jayz Z & Alicia Keys - New York

My version...
    In New York, concrete jungle wet dream tomato :o:o:o:o:o

Correct version...
    In New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made, oh

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

My sister is fairly shocking for those. That really annoying James Blunt song, he sings "I saw an angel, of that I'm sure". She sang, I saw an angel, of Adam Shaw".

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭justified

Jayz Z & Alicia Keys - New York

My version...
    In New York, concrete jungle wet dream tomato :o:o:o:o:o

Correct version...
    In New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made, oh of!

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭oompaloompa

justified wrote: »
    ;)

:o

In my defence, I googled lyrics before posting to make sure I had them right... bad source :rolleyes:

http://www.metrolyrics.com/empire-state-of-mind-lyrics-jayz.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 AnotherTool

My favourite misheard lyrics video on youtube. Ever since I saw this, anytime I hear this song these are the only lyrics I hear... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Elton John's "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting" I thought the line, "she's with me" was "she's a man". It's just the way he says it that had me thinking that's what was being said.

Speaking of Elton John I used to think that the lyrics of "Rocketman" went "it's gonna be a long long night". Wasn't too far off though.

Off course this song is just open to mistaken lyrics:

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Feeded

Both 90's songs. . . .Beverly Craven's Promise Me had a line that went like this . . .''you light up another cigarette and i pour the wine'' a friend of mine, thinkin' she was so suave would sing along with '' you light up, i never see the rain and i . .wonder why''. . . My sister used to sing along to Maria Mckee's Show Me Heaven '' woh, oh show me heaven, cover me, leave me breakfast!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

What I heard: "Now it's too late for you and your white whores to come around"

Actual lyric: "Now it's too late for you and your white horse to come around."

In fairness when I heard the song I didn't know the title:rolleyes:

Men Without Hats - Safety Dance

Say, we can act if we want to
    If we don't nobody will
    And you can act real rude and totally removed
    And like an African in Brazil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

My mam always thought that Prince sang "Thats Mary Guildea" for "Raspberry Beret"

That was her song because he sang her name. :D

She also thought that Britney Spears sang Kiss me baby one more time. :P

Karona wrote: »
    My mam always thought that Prince sang "Thats Mary Guildea" for "Raspberry Beret"

When I first heard it I thought it was "Raspberry Parade"! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I always thought that Garth Brooks's well known song 'Shameless', was actually called Séamus, in which he just kept on repeating "I'm Séééamusssss..." again and again.

I wish that was the original version actually, song lyrics would always be far more delightful if they were as obscure as our mishearing of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement