Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EMINEM-THE ULTIMATE

Options
  • 14-05-2010 1:56am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

i believe that eminem is the greatest rap artist of all time.......and not just that but that he has the most poetic ability of any poet that has ever lived

please give your opinions

and if your opinions are based on his last album please do get the i am marshal album........i know its not out for a while but i have it and if i have it im sure its on youtube........i know one song definitly is called im not afraid

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I respectfully disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I would also disagree. 2 decent albums that haven't aged too well and a few stinkers does not 'The greatest rap artist of all time' make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Vanilla Ice. /End of thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

''There is this guy Eminem. He has created a sense of what is possible. He has sent a voltage around a generation. He has done this not just through his subversive attitude but also his verbal energy'' - Seamus Heaney

I listen to Eminem because he is a realist and speaks his mind, his honesty and truthfulness seperates him from most others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

He should've stopped after The Marshall Mathers LP..

Think about it,it's all gone downhill from there,imo anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Best rapper of all time? No way. You obviously haven't heard of this guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

my favorite is dr dre think he has the best voice in rap followed by biggie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Jay-Z - I've listened to my fair share of rap and none of them can bring to the party what this man does. His lyrics are so polished, he's just different class imo

PaulieC wrote: »
    Jay-Z - I've listened to my fair share of rap and none of them can bring to the party what this man does. His lyrics are so polished, he's just different class imo

Could you suggest any of his older stuff worth listening to? I thought his recent "New York" song was a pile of ****, and I've never really considered him as reaching the depth of the lyrics that 2Pac had. Has he got any songs with a message in them or is it all just talk about his money?

DarkJager wrote: »
    Could you suggest any of his older stuff worth listening to? I thought his recent "New York" song was a pile of ****, and I've never really considered him as reaching the depth of the lyrics that 2Pac had. Has he got any songs with a message in them or is it all just talk about his money?

The American gangster album he did is brilliant lyrically imo, The Chapter One album is decent & Reasonable Doubt is alright too.

If you can get your hands on it - there was a BBC documentary done on him last year that was very good imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

DarkJager wrote: »

Reasonable Doubt his debut album. He talks about hustling and what not, but it's still an absolute classic. Another is the first in the Blueprint series. He's supposed to have made it in a couple of days. Introduced the world to Kanye West the producer among other things.

As for 2Pac, I never really liked him. Sure he has some good meanings behind the lyrics but he lacks in the delivery department. In my opinion he wouldn't hold a candle to someone like Rakim or Nas.

If you're looking for a fantastic rapper look up The D.O.C. on youtube. Unfortunately he tore his vocal cords after releasing his debut album but he's ghostwritten for Dr. Dre over the years. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i agree with you all the way. people say he went downhill ages ago, he takes the piss in alot of his songs so its hard to show how good you are then but on the other side songs like beautiful,same song and dance and deja vu from his last album, and his new single not afraid, just inspire me to do better in life like. goosebumps material. he's music is like a legal high so maybe he'd want to watch it here:cool:

Reasonable Doubt his debut album. He talks about hustling and what not, but it's still an absolute classic. Another is the first in the Blueprint series. He's supposed to have made it in a couple of days. Introduced the world to Kanye West the producer among other things.

As for 2Pac, I never really liked him. Sure he has some good meanings behind the lyrics but he lacks in the delivery department. In my opinion he wouldn't hold a candle to someone like Rakim or Nas.

If you're looking for a fantastic rapper look up The D.O.C. on youtube. Unfortunately he tore his vocal cords after releasing his debut album but he's ghostwritten for Dr. Dre over the years. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

2Pac has been my favorite for many many years, the man is untouchable in my opinon from lyrical content to his delivery. Just listen to Hit Em Up and hear the venom in his voice. A genius of rap that has not been surpassed by anyone since.

Must look at somemore of Jay Z's stuff, although I'm not really keeping my hopes high. The guy seems more interested in the "look at me" style of rap than actually saying anything worthwhile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

jay z is an average black rapper........he only makes good music as he is a very good producer and has been fortunate financially...............

tupac is actually my favoueite rapper because his talent is raw ..........and his music was sculpterd by the events of his life........but he just lacks the ability of eminem

eminem raps from life experience unlike tupac who rapped about the average person where he lived {the drug dealer
    gangster
    mother----teenege pregnant girl
    e.t.c}...............what it comes down to is simply vocal ability
    good singers can sing and eminem can do things vocally that nobody has done or even tries to do.......most so called rappers talk and rhyme.....eminem raps.............if there was a college for learning rap technique eminem would be the professor

denballs wrote: »
    jay z is an average black rapper........he only makes good music as he is a very good producer and has been fortunate financially...............

Absolute bóllix tbh!!
    Jay-Z has been lucky financially?? - You're referrin to a man who had to sell craic cocaine after he became the man of the house aged 12 after his father walked out on his family. He worked his absolute hole off for a record contract - when he didn't get one he, along with some other budding talents like Damon Dash set up Roc-a-fella records and quite literally turned it into a dynasty.

There's a reason he's sold millions upon millions of albums and it's not because he's lucky.

good singers can sing and eminem can do things vocally that nobody has done or even tries to do.......most so called rappers talk and rhyme.....eminem raps

I really don't know what you're referring to - what does Eminem do that others haven't tried to do :confused:

Don't get me wrong - I think Eminem's unbelievably talented but to dismiss Jay-Z like you have is fúckin lunacy tbh

Jay-Zs rapping technique emphasises flow over content & delivery - the three main components of a rap song. Eminem's technique emphasises delivery but as far as I'm concerned it's much harder to master flow than delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

tupac is actually my favoueite rapper because his talent is raw ..........and his music was sculpterd by the events of his life........but he just lacks the ability of eminem

eminem raps from life experience unlike tupac who rapped about the average person where he lived {the drug dealer
    gangster
    good singers can sing and eminem can do things vocally that nobody has done or even tries to do.......most so called rappers talk and rhyme.....eminem raps.............if there was a college for learning rap technique eminem would be the professor

Sorry but what are you on about. Since when is Jay-Z a producer. He leaves that to other people. Never once heard of him producing a track for himself or anyone else.

What's the point in saying Tupac based his raps on his life experience then go on to contradict yourself two lines later. As for rapping about the average person where he's from, come on. I mean how many people even in the ghettos are born in jail and have parents that are known members of the Black Panthers.

I agree with you that Eminem is better but you have to get at least some points right before claiming this.

gangster

Is that not the same as life experience though? 2Pac was deep. I find eminem can touch on a decent lyric sometimes but more often than not you just can't relate to him. Pac liked to dig a little deeper in my opinion.

(The lyrics in this are still as relevant today as when he wrote them, one of the best rap tunes ever)

Rap is so diverse that looking for a best lyricist will prove a fruitless affair.

Amongst the top tier I'd put Nas, Talib, MF DOOM, Del, Big L, GZA, Kool Keith and Rakim though. Eminem wouldn't cut it compared to these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

tupac ... lacks the ability of eminem

eminem raps from life experience unlike tupac...good singers can sing and eminem can do things vocally that nobody has done or even tries to do...if there was a college for learning rap technique eminem would be the professor

Mate, nothing against you, I'm a big fan of Eminem myself but your whole argument is fucking ridiculous and now I can't take you seriously. He's great and his rapping abilities are seriously impressive but he's not the best. His best album, IMO, was The Slim Shady LP, MM LP was good but it didn't blow me away like his first album did. Few good tracks on The Eminem Show but everything after that was absolute trash.

There is no definitive "best rapper ever", everyone has their own opinions and their own tastes. My favorite is 2pac, he's the reason I became interested in rap music and in times like these when decent rappers are few and far between I can't help but be thankful that I'll always have all of 2pac's albums in my iPod to remind me how good rap was like at one point. There will never be anyone like him ever again. I could listen to nothing but 2pac for the rest of my life and be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Eminem is one of my favorite rappers ever, but I can't say he's the best.
    In terms of pure talent, I'd only put Andre 3000, Kool G Rap, Pharoahe Monch and the late Big L in the same sentence as him, but he has released too much crap to be considered the best.

Saying that, people who said he fell off after the Marshall Mathers LP are clueless: Sing for the Moment, Till I Collapse, Rabbit Run and Lose Yourself are arguably his best work, and then you have 8 Mile Road, Stimulate, etc-I'd actually say he peaked AFTER the MMLP.

If you put his best work up against any other emcee, I think he is better than most, he has released some disastrous stuff, but so have most rappers.

Easiest way I can put it is, if I was to name who I feel are the 10 best rappers ever, Eminem would easily be in there, he wouldn't be 1st though.

• Advertisement

This is Eminem at his peak tbh. When he was witty and funny.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Rakim for me. Fond of PE too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

''There is this guy Eminem. He has created a sense of what is possible. He has sent a voltage around a generation. He has done this not just through his subversive attitude but also his verbal energy'' - Seamus Heaney

I listen to Eminem because he is a realist and speaks his mind, his honesty and truthfulness seperates him from most others

Eminem couldn't write a verse that holds a candle to the RA The Rugged Man verse on this one. (it's the second verse, starts with "True story:" )

..and I never heard an Eminem song that I could relate to even a tenth as much as I can relate to this... (takes about 34 seconds to start)

People who start threads on forums about how Eminem is the greatest, is the only one "who speaks his mind" or "tells it like it is" are, 99% of the time, people who have only properly listened to an extraordinarily limited spectrum of the vast pantheon of rappers there actually are out there. They also - and there's absolutely no disrespect intended here by the way - tend to only have a rather limited knowledge of the sort of things that these other rappers tend to go on about.

I've been listening to Hip Hop for nigh-on 20 years, and I know bugger all about it, compared to the heads who are mods over on the Hip Hop board here anyway, and I only speak three languages well enough to be able to really "get" what any given rapper is talking about. There's a VAST sea of hip hop out there, OCEANS of it, you'd NEVER hear it all, even keeping track of English language releases in any given month is a Herculean task... How odd would it be if the chap on constant MTV rotation was the absolute pinnacle of all that was possible with the idiom?

Essentially, making this thread is sort of like going on the literature forum and saying that The DaVinci Code is the pinnacle of global literature because you've only read a dozen books and half of the rest were Harry Potter.

One thing I WILL absolutely and wholeheartedly defend Eminem for is that yes, he's a HIGHLY technical vocalist - at the same time, you could offer me a wheelbarrow full of Joe Satriani albums and I wouldn't trade it for a chewed up Hendrix tape.

^ There's more genuine emotional insight in the second verse of that tune than there is in Eminem's entire back catalogue.

(although the sample is cheesy as hell, I freely admit)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

MrStuffins wrote: »

....... tbh

Nice try.

^ These guys have the night time economy on SMASH

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Nice try.

I wasnt trying, it's DOOM for me.

Fair enough! I think the last American MC I will always go out of my way to check is probably Ghost, and maybe Nas as well (although he'll obviously never do an album as AMAZING as his first one, and he's always going to be somewhat unfairly judged against it.

DOOM is someone I've always had a complete blindspot about, embarrasingly enough (although it certainly proves my point further up this thread!!!). Where's a good place to start?

• Advertisement

^ this is just pure 100% unadulterated swagger

The kid was 19 at the time, salute!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement