Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adverts Dispute regarding Guitar

• 14-05-2010 2:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Buyer Beware? I think the old idiom needs to be updated tbh....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055911042

I'll hopefully be reselling that Les Paul on adverts.ie so I'm making this as public as possible. I've nothing to hide here.

Bit shaken by this to be honest. I'm sure I've dealt with a few of you over the years and this is the first incident in 50+ transactions on boards where I've had any sort of problem buying or selling.

A fairly harrowing story when selling vintage guitars and parts for anyone involved.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭stephenshields2

Can you tell us what happened?

Ive seen stuff like this before, but to me, you cant have done anything much wrong, as the guitar you were selling was clearly in a "buy it as-is" condition.

I mean the guitar could be 30 years old for jaysus sake, of course its gonna have problems!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hanusanusmusic

I got an old Hondo strat copy from Adverts a few weeks ago that was described by the seller in the same fashion as the korina les paul - as an old, fixer-upper project guitar.
    The seller was open and honest about the guitar like jimi_t2 - he told me about its poor tuning heads, wonky input, etc, so I knew what I was getting into.
    After giving the guitar a once-over and a setup, I plugged it in and got a shock off the bridge. I didn't threaten to contact the guards or even give out to the seller, I just fixed the damn thing by grounding it. I'm not an electrician by any means, but once you can use a soldering iron and can read wiring schematics, you're pretty much set.
    If the buyer wasn't happy with the guitar, fair enough, but there's better ways to go about getting a refund than making it out like the seller pulled the wool over his eyes and potentially ruining another member's reputation on adverts.
    Anyway, best of luck to both parties in settling the dispute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Thanks a million for your input guys - its important for the adverts mods and those who wouldn't be totally au fait with vintage guitars to understand that the things I've been accused of are completely without grounds, and that anybody who had even a small amount of experience with guitars would realise this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

sorry jimi I went ot the add,but the link to the dispute is closed,what was the issue? seems pretty obvious to me that the guitar was being sold as "a work in progress" what was Roberts problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Its pretty clear that it was sold 'as is.'

Dont think you have any legal requirement to provide a refund but it might be the best option to take to avoid the hassle.

Anybody who posts here knows youre a good guy to deal with so I dont think you need to worry about you rep being damaged.

I think the price was pretty fair also. I dont think that guy has a clue.

• Advertisement

punchdrunk wrote: »
    sorry jimi I went ot the add,but the link to the dispute is closed,what was the issue? seems pretty obvious to me that the guitar was being sold as "a work in progress" what was Roberts problem?

He insinuated that I had misrepresented the guitar, that the guitar was ''junk'' and that the guitar had alledgedly electrocuted him. This is despite the fact that he is both an electrician and apparently deals in predominately Japanese 1970s era Les Paul clones (have a look at his adverts account).

Completely nonwithstanding is the fact that he had spent at least half an hour on the phone with me going over the guitar in detail before coming in person to my house where he spent a further hour (although only about 10 minutes looking at the guitar).

About five hours later he left repeated voicemails that he was turning up at my familiy home on Saturday and that I'd ''better be there'' and ''better have all (his) money'' or that he'd be suing me for compensation and that he wouldn't want to ''start a row out on the street with (my) parents''.

I'm a 22 year old student. My mother is a retired secondary school teacher. Robert Gillespie is a man of around 40.

I'm beyond disgusted at this stage, but if I've any chance of reselling this guitar this needs to be persued to its foregone conclusion in the most transparent way possible.

Please read the thread, it really is a complete farce from start to finish.

judas101 wrote: »
    Dont think you have any legal requirement to provide a refund but it might be the best option to take to avoid the hassle.

Legal requirement? The only legal precedent that I know of in relation to the sale of second hand goods, or in fact ANY goods by private treaty, is caveat emptor.
    Anybody who posts here knows youre a good guy to deal with so I dont think you need to worry about you rep being damaged.

Cheers for that, I'm just disgusted by all this and want none of this hanging about.
    I think the price was pretty fair also. I dont think that guy has a clue.

More than fair I would have thought. Did he think he was taking me for a ride around the paddock and getting an Orville or some kind of extravagant bargain? Who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Dymo

I've read the threads and I can't see where you did anything wrong, the guy seems like an out and out tosser, screaming solicitors and guards. legally it's his own tough **** as caveat emptor apply's in private sales and he was given ample time to inspect the item.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I wouldn't be giving any money back. Good god!

tosser! well at least I'll know to avoid him at all costs in future
    you did nothing wrong mate!

• Advertisement

Dymo wrote: »
    as caveat emptor apply's in private sales and he was given ample time to inspect the item.

And even then that would only apply if I had in any way mislead him about the guitar. Which anyone can see I have not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I read the thread and advert and can't see that you did anything wrong. If anything your ad was more informative than about 90% of other ones on there. In my opinion it seems like a case of buyers remorse or stupidity. Good luck getting it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Christ on a bike. Buyer f*cking beware, period.

Doesn't make a difference if there were baby rats nesting inside the guitar, the Buyer inspected the item and handed over cash in a private sale.

Case closed, end of issue, Smithers release the hounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I had a quick read through. I honestly don't know what he was expecting from you, anyone can see from the pics and information you provided that it was a guitar that needed a bit of attention to bring upto playing standards. I reckon he thought he was getting a better deal than what it was so he got in a huff about it.
    Also fair play to you for handling this in a fairly civilised manner and explaining the situation clearly. A lot of people would just ignore the buyer or get into an insult match over the dispute.

Demeyes wrote: »
    I reckon he thought he was getting a better deal than what it was so he got in a huff about it.

A huff? I'd consider insinuated threats of legal action etc... a bit more than a huff now in fairness. Not only that, but he did his best to both destroy my reputation here but and to try and prevent me selling the guitar on boards.ie again.

I'm a 22 year old student. My mother is a retired secondary school teacher. Robert Gillespie is a man of around 40.
    In light of what i have read from your notes, i have decided to take the guitar to and expert for a second opinion and i will be in touch in due course.i said i was sorry for airing my few's and i gave my reasons.Now i will get a written opinion from a outside body on this guitar and then i will take it from there.I will come and speak to your parents tomorrow nabout this.
    regards
    robert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭freshcream

jimi_t2 wrote: »

I hope your parents have the good sense to tell him to fook away back to belfast, it seems to me he thinks because your young he can threaten you with bull remarks.

Your ad was fair he is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

mate he is the buyer - he should have known better

id say 1/ let him call the guards - they would laff at him

2/ talk to legal to have him retract the statements.

hes obviously an idiot .

jimi_t2 wrote: »

take it to an expert? that'd cost half the price of the ****ing guitar!!!

fail.jpg

this guys a ****ing Eejit!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

This is not Adverts support. Do not post Adverts threads here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 robertgillespie

Guys
    Let me be clear, i did not mean to suggest that jimmy t is in any way wrong to sell me an unsuitable guitar.Nor that he misrepresented the condition of the guitar.I did buy it "as is" i except that now and jimmy
    was transparent in the matter. We have discussed the matter and resolved all issues and we will remain friends.
    Thanks you to all who took time to comment.

regards
    robert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Guys
    Let me be clear, i did not mean to suggest that jimmy t is in any way wrong to sell me an unsuitable guitar.Nor that he misrepresented the condition of the guitar.I did buy it "as is" i except that now and jimmy
    was transparent in the matter. We have discussed the matter and resolved all issues and we will remain friends.
    Thanks you to all who took time to comment.

regards
    robert

Lol, this interweb is just one big maze!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement