Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye cinema adding 4 more screens

Options
  • 14-05-2010 5:06am

Planning notice is up at the doors

Nice to see them expanding, I worked in the Omniplex for a few months and it is brutal compard to the eye

Their popcorn is crap through ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Davegalway wrote: »
    Planning notice is up at the doors

Nice to see them expanding, I worked in the Omniplex for a few months and it is brutal compard to the eye

Always like the EYE over the omni...
    Their popcorn is crap through ;)

But the ice cream is nicer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Guess that makes it "four eyes"........

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

And where will these be? Ground floor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Assume these will be in the expert electrical part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

skelliser wrote: »
    Assume these will be in the expert electrical part.

That's what I was thinking but I don't think you could fit 4 screens in there.
    2 if you're lucky. Also, height is an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

This is great! The eye needs a few more screens the times it shows movies is odd and the length of time they are kept around will greatly improve :D

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

If they do put in more screens perhaps they might put in decent size one instead of the 'large TVs' they try to pass for cinema screens!

details on the plaaning applicable are:

Permission for development which will consist of the
    provision of 4 cinema screens at basement level with
    a total capacity of 500 seats to include for a change of
    use at basement level of part of an approved radio
    station use (Reg. Ref. 07/660) to a cinema use and a
    change of use at basement level from car park use to
    cinema use. The development will also include for an
    increase in floor area of 70 sq. m at basement level
    for a cinema use and associated alterations to the east
    elevation

So it looks iRadio are going to be moving also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

That place is supposed to be going for a while now isn't it?

Supposedly downstairs. Has anyone driven by there and looked at the amount of empty places down there? One section is covered in plants with an arm chair there from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Supposedly downstairs. Has anyone driven by there and looked at the amount of empty places down there? One section is covered in plants with an arm chair there from time to time.
    Yep. So much more could be done with the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I hope they use the opportunity to show some arthouse movies, or foreign films or old movies or something alternative. Both cinemas play the same crappy hollywood blockbusters which I do enjoy as much as the next person but occasionally it'd be nice to see something interesting that doesn't require you switching your brain off to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Permission for development which will consist of the
    provision of 4 cinema screens at basement level with
    a total capacity of 500 seats to include for a change of
    use at basement level of part of an approved radio
    station use (Reg. Ref. 07/660) to a cinema use and a
    change of use at basement level from car park use to
    cinema use. The development will also include for an
    increase in floor area of 70 sq. m at basement level
    for a cinema use and associated alterations to the east
    elevation

They were out of there by the 1st of April. All based in Athlone now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jighooligan

Yeah hope its not just more screens for the sake of showing the same films just in more screens...
    Weren't the omniplex doing a "Classic" season a few months back? I remember seeing posters for Scarface and The Thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

dafunk wrote: »
    I hope they use the opportunity to show some arthouse movies, or foreign films or old movies or something alternative. Both cinemas play the same crappy hollywood blockbusters which I do enjoy as much as the next person but occasionally it'd be nice to see something interesting that doesn't require you switching your brain off to enjoy.

The Eye shows Art House and foreign films quite often, keep an eye out for them in the advertiser. It would be really nice if they'd show some older movies though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

don't forget we're getting the Solas Picture Palace opening soon (anyone have any updates on when exactly?)... hopefully we'll be spoiled for choice if de Eye include some non-Hollywood flicks in their programme

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Weren't the omniplex doing a "Classic" season a few months back? I remember seeing posters for Scarface and The Thing?

Yup the Omniplex had a classics Season, including the ones you mentioned and The Blues Brothers, Spartacus, A Brief Encounter and many others. Unfortunately, they were not well attended so they stopped showing them. Maybe the advertising wasn't particularly good, and the masses are clearly not interested in anything outside of the comfort zone of Gerard Butler and (insert try-hard tv actress here) movies.

One thing I cannot understand is why the cinemas wont get connected with boards.ie - it has a fanbase of hundreds of thousands with hundreds (maybe more) in Galway alone.

If this site were to book out a cinema screen in either the Eye Cinema or Omniplex and try to get a private screening, how many people would be willing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement